Hawaii
Options

Lei's for Guests?

Are you providing leis for your guests?

We're providing leis for the moms and dads (5 of each!) and my brother, who is walking me down the isle. The guests are already getting a small welcome bag, palm fans and cookie favors. Is it tradition or anything to provide them with leis too, or do you think I should skip out on it? The budget is quickly becoming a reality and I am trying to cut out as much as possible here.  Then again, leis are always fun to get. Argh! I have such a difficult time making the smallest decision!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Lei's for Guests?

• Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dunno about tradition, but I'm just telling ppl we're not doing corsages/bouts, but we will do leis for the ladies in the families.  And... that's it.  I guess I just don't think guys care much about that stuff, and I'm hoping the guests won't either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hey Beth!  Ok, I've thought a lot about this and I can see both sides, so here's my thoughts for what it's worth.

And let me preface this by saying that just b/c we decided to scrap the idea does not mean that I don't think it is super sweet, generous, and a wonderful tradition!  :)

Argument for leis for all guests - super nice touch!  Very thoughtful, and unique for mainlanders.

Argument against leis for all guests - if your guests are not from HI, they aren't accustomed to wearing leis and will most likely take them off after an hour (i.e, after the novelty wears off).  Plus, they may be attending a luau somewhere or receive a lei when they arrive at their hotels--I'm not trying to diss the lei for all guests, but being from HI, I cringe at the tourist version of lei giving.  Not that lei giving at weddings is generic or touristy by any means, I certainly don't mean that at all!!!  But throw in the budget issue, and it was the first thing to go for us.  And maybe I'm just looking for reasons to justify my decision, I dunno.

Like PP, we are giving a lei to all the ladies in the immediate family--I think that will make them feel really special.  Not that guests aren't special, but, well, I don't know, that's just where I ended up on the spectrum of lei giving.  We are also giving leis to the men in the immediate family--kukui for guy siblings, cigar for dads (http://www.volcanogallery.com/flowers/kika.jpg)

So, those are just my thoughts.  If I had extra room in the budget, I would definitely love to give each of my guests leis, but that just happens to be one area that I cut down.

Everyone's reasons for or against are equally respected.  :)

image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did leis, but we did cut favours. The leis were cheaper and, let's face it, guests don't seem to enjoy favours anymore. There are always tons left behind on the tables. Plus, we did OOT bags for everyone.

The leis made a bigger impact on our guests, I think!
  • Options
    ~BFF~~BFF~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are providing leis for immediate family (grandparent, parents, siblings, spouses), emcee, ring bearers, and WC (plus her helper). Total of 17 leis for $165, and that's wholesale cost.  I think if you are doing the welcome bag and cookie favors that is enough.  As a guest, I would be pleased with that =)
  • Options
    elaineNgeneelaineNgene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did something similar to your plan, small welcome bags, sandalwood fans and cookie/mac nut kisses favors for the guests, but we reserved the leis for just our parents and stepparents.  It made it more special, as well as kept it budget friendly for us :)

I don't think anyone will be upset not getting a lei, or a favor or whatever.  Whatever you guys decide, based on tradition or budget, your guests will be happy either way. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Elaine. We're doing welcome bags. Leis are just for parents and grandparents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards