Second Weddings
Options

3rd marriage for both of us..trying to keep it really simple

I live in a lake community. There is a lovely beach within walking distance of my house which is in my favorite place in the whole world. My sweetie and I have been working together to make this place "ours". :)

I'm trying to figure out if we could get married on the beach at the lake, then walk the processional (recessional?!) back to our house for the reception.

I have a HUGE wrap around deck so plenty of room for tables and I have 3 sets of sliding doors that open into a very open floor plan inside. I'm guessing we'd have about 25-50 people. I can put a tent and dance floor out in my backyard. It would be perfect. I just don't know if that would work. Sound ok?

Second, I'm picturing him in a button down shirt and khakis. He's not a tux kind of person and I'm not either. :) I will wear a white or off white dress (haven't figured that out yet) and probably will have the girls of the family as my attendants (6 girls between us ages 6 yrs to 22 years) if I have any at all.

Soooo what kind of dress would be appropriate?! Most of the "informal" dresses Ive looked at still look too formal for a button down shirt and khakis. No?! I'm so clueless.

We wouldn't want to make a big production out of it. No showers etc. If I had my way we'd elope but I know our friends and family would have a tizzy. We love them and they are very happy for us and would love to share in it with us.

He and I are very simple people. We are no frills, though I consider myself quite girly. :)

I'm kind of excited about the prospect of planning this. :)

Re: 3rd marriage for both of us..trying to keep it really simple

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a destination wedding- destination TBD. It will be on a beach somewhere. My FH will be wearing khaki shorts and a white, short sleeve button up shirt. I'm going to be wearing (most likely) a sheath gown like the one pictured in my profile. I think you can be as formal or as informal as you want as the bride! I just figured that I had the big, white poofy gown the first time around, and it will be very hot and humid when we get married, so I want something light and simple, but still striking. Do what makes you happy!

EDIT: The dress isn't showing up in my profile right now. I don't know why it does that sometimes! ACK!

• Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    H wore khakis and a nice button-down Hawaiin (sp) type shirt - very subdued rather than colorful and screaming loud.  Let's not talk about my dress except to tell you it was green.  We also had a small 50 person reception at a local golf club.  Very understated but lots of fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try www.justlinen.com

I've found some nice destination wedding attire there (mens)

and www.weddingtropics.com has destination wedding dresses at a decent price.
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is exactly my problem!  FI is wearing khakis and a white button down with a tie and a navy blue jacket with gold buttons.

I bought a dress that I like a lot and maybe even love, but it's just too darn formal looking when I put it on.  I ended up buying a 2nd dress last night off of the outlet section of David's Bridal for $99.  

If I were going to do it again, I'd go and look specifically at white bridesmaid dresses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and as for the location, I think it's wonderful!  I wanted to get married in our backyard, but I was completely thrown by the cost of rentals.  We ended up going with the firehouse dance hall next door instead.
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH wore tan linen pants for our beach wedding.  While I wanted him to wear a white button down shirt, he insisted on a greenish linen shirt.  (see it in our pic).  I ended up with a Greek inspired dress from David's Bridal (never thought I'd buy I dress from them) and it was in the "special occasion" section--wasn't a bridal dress. 

I might look at Martin McRae (I tried a couple of dresses from them). 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_3rd-marriage-of-ustrying-keep-really-simple-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:d3800575-487d-46c8-908d-e2314ffa5445Post:04c4435b-fd3b-4d24-a346-03622cdd3b34">Re: 3rd marriage for both of us..trying to keep it really simple</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try <a href="http://www.justlinen.com" rel='nofollow'>www.justlinen.com</a> I've found some nice destination wedding attire there (mens)
    Posted by IslandBeachBride[/QUOTE]

Just bought my FI's shirt for our wedding in mexico, there.  It came quickly and he thinks it is perfect. 

And can I tell ya?  it was on clearance in his size (gorilla) for $35!  SWEET.  In fact the chinos from Land's End were more expensive...

I am wearing a beachy chiffon wedding dress from David's - so I think you can wear really what ever YOU feel comfortable in. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info ladies! I suppose as long as I don't wear a ballgown I'm good. Luckily, I'm not the ballgown type so it's all good! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Third time around here too and trying to keep it simple.  I'll be getting married in the fall in the mountains.  I wanted to wear an ivory or off-white pants suit or maybe a lacey blouse/linen or wool pants.  I can't seem to find anything that works.  Any ideas where to shop for this attire?   
    Debbie
  • Options
    Debbie.  Try looking up Non-Traditional Wedding Dresses.  I found lots of women's pant suits.  Good Luck with 3rd Times the Charm....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards