Plus-Sized
Options

Plus Size Bikini Wax....?!?

Hi girls... has anyone done a bikini wax? Any tips? I'm a little insecure... being that I am a plus sized girl. But would love to do this for my hunny for the big day... thought?!? Thanks girls!
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Plus Size Bikini Wax....?!?

• Options
    Sorry - I really meant BRAZILIAN waxes!  :)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been getting them for a while.. Im not sure if I am considered plus sized.. But what I do know is that when you find someone that you feel very comfy with.. It won't phase you..
    And after you get it done once...you will be sooo addicted to how amazing it feels..

Try it.. but find someone good
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Take a Ibuprofen a couple of hours before you go and wait about 2 hours after taking a bath or shower.  I have only had one ever and thats the advice I was given and it still hurt like crap.  I hate to think how it would have felt without that advice.  Good Luck!
  • Options

I just wanted to add it was worth it afterward though ;-)

• Options
    I just did one for the first time a few weeks ago.  It was very clinical... they don't care if you are plus size or not. They have seen it all.   It hurt like a mutha though...   but it was fine after a few hours.
  • Options
    Okay, big tip here. Don't let anyone touch if they don't put powder on your skin first before the wax. Alot of American waxers don't do it. Makes a big difference. If they use a lot of powder it makes it not hurt, or at least very little. Depends on how sensitive you are. If you can find a good Russian waxer they are the best. The way it was explained to me the powder sticks to the skin and not the hairs. The reason it hurst when you get waxed without poder is the wax is pulling of the top layer of skin along with the hair. The powder is a layer of protection. They should also have good soothing oils to use on your skin sfter. Don't just go to anyone. It is important, and makes a huge difference in whether it hurts or not. Research your waxer and ask questions before you hire them.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • Options
    I've had some bad experiences in the past.  I made the mistake once of getting a bikini wax at nail salon in my town.  BIG mistake.  I left in pain, with bruises, and half of a wax because I just couldn't take it. I'm sorry that I might not be skinny like the last girl you waxed, but there's no need to make it hurt so much!

The most important thing is to find a waxer you like.  Ask friends for recommendations, check out websites like yelp, etc.  I always like to have them do "minor" waxes like eyebrow or lip prior to booking a bikini or brazilian with them.  Also look for a place that is super clean; salons shouldn't be "double dipping" the wax applicators.  It's not sanitary and it spreads germs.  

Once you've found someone you can trust, make an appointment.  Take a few tylenol or advil an hour before you go; this will help with the pain and inflammation.  If you're self-conscious, you are going to be self-conscious about this appointment.  But you shouldn't be.  Waxers have seen it all, so don't worry about it.  

Also check out European Wax Center.  After my failed attempts at other establishments, it's my go-to place.  It is a franchise, but it's super clean, all of the waxers are licenced estheticians, you can accumulate rewards points, I could go on and on.  I always make my appointments with the same waxer, who I adore, and who doesn't judge me!  She always asks me about how things are, wedding planning, etc, and definitely makes me feel more at ease.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    i'm sooo nervous about this but I know my fiance would go head over heels for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've always wanted to but I'm so nervous about my body being seen.  Or skin being ripped off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    @LuckyGirl- I see you're also in NJ, where there are lots of European Wax Centers opening it up.  

To all interested in going there, they offer a free wax for your first visit (eyebrow, underarm, or bikini line).  It's a good way to test out their services.  

@scstar- I used to feel the exact same way.  I'm generally a pretty modest person, so waxing was a little scary at first.  I've been told by my waxer that the process does remove layers of dead skin, so you shouldn't exfoliate for like 2 weeks after you get it done.  Since waxing works better (and is less painful) when the skin is taut, she asks me to hold or pull if necessary.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh I was wondering about that, not everyone has the same shape down there so loose skin scares me...the waxer doesn't hold it taut for you?  I guess that is actually better if they ask you to do it yourself.

I think I've gotten more modest as I've gotten older, but I was once pierced down there and had no issue going to get that done. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    I have had the same question!  When do you plan on going for your waxing?  A week before? Three days?  I'm not sure how fast hair grows after a wax.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you go to a good waxer, it should last for about a month. There will be some variation from person to person. Everyones hair thickness and growing rate is slightly different. As for when you go, try about three day ahead. This way if you get any reddness or irritation beforehand it will have time to die down before activity.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • Options
    I am plus size and I go every month to get mine done if u have alot of hair shave it down but not bare so that they have some hair to grip but wait a week take meds for pain b4 u go It hurts worst when u have a lot of hair thats why I go every month...when u have a bush it will hurt no matter what u do so tri b4 u go is my advice
  • Options
    I've only had it done once. I went to a local day spa and an Asian woman with very accented English did the wax. I took Tylenol before hand and I think it helped. Anytime you're having hair violently ripped from your pores, it's gonna hurt! I've also heard taking a Tums beforehand helps with the redness (for all waxing). The thing about it is: this is what this lady does for a living! I will say though - I was put in some CRAZY positions! Legs over my head and everything. The funniest part was whenever she would pull off the wax strip, the lady asked "oh that hurt? scale 1 10 how bad it hurt?" I had to laugh - she was trying to be supportive but really. You're ripping the hair off my va-jay-jay. Yeah, it hurts!

I think you're supposed to trim the hair down there so it's about a 1/4 inch long. I think it's worth it in the long run. Just think of her like you think of your OBGYN.
  • Options
    I go often and love it.  Yes, it hurts, but didn't your mama tell yo uthat beauty hurts?  LOL  Go for a place that offers Brazilian waxes with blue wax.  Also, if they offer the technicue with ice, try it.  The Ice cools your skin off and the ax quickly and it comes off easily.  I'm in Houston but also used to live in NJ and had a Russian lady in Hoboken tht did mine and she was FAB!  Let's face it ladies, sex is really good, and the FI loves it.  What a rat wedding day!  Don't worry about butterflying (think about it)...it's very clinical, much like a pap smear.  And you end up chattering with the technician, more often than not  LOL
  • Options
    I go often and love it.  Yes, it hurts, but didn't your mama tell yo uthat beauty hurts?  LOL  Go for a place that offers Brazilian waxes with blue wax.  Also, if they offer the technicue with ice, try it.  The Ice cools your skin off and the ax quickly and it comes off easily.  I'm in Houston but also used to live in NJ and had a Russian lady in Hoboken tht did mine and she was FAB!  Let's face it ladies, sex is really good, and the FI loves it.  What a rat wedding day!  Don't worry about butterflying (think about it)...it's very clinical, much like a pap smear.  And you end up chattering with the technician, more often than not  LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards