Wedding Reception Forum
Options

NO CLINKING! need ideas

hello ladies, i don't want the typical clink your glasses and the B&G will kiss. 
DO NOT want if you kiss, we kiss, or trivia, or advice, or stories about the couple, or singing songs with love in it, or bells, i want something a little more original or at least not over done and thinking im original lol
I thought maybe, hula hoops, if you can make it go around, we will kiss, and for as long as your shaking your hips we'll be moving our lips :) corny? i think so but at least it's something different and the guests will likely watch the hula hooper more so than us hehe
I can't wait to see the responses :)
~Jessica

Re: NO CLINKING! need ideas

• Options
    Do you really have to have something to make you kiss your new DH?  All of the things you've listed are more annoying than the glass clinking, and will completely stop your guests from being able to socialize and interact with each other.

The preschoolers I teach love hula hoops.  Adults, dressed up at a wedding?  No.  People who have had too much to drink standing up and bellowing (off-key) songs with love in them?  Not pleasant.  Trivia about the B&G?  AW-ish.   People kissing and then you re-creating the kiss?  Potential for very uncomfortable moments as grandma watches two people engage in innappropriate PDA.

Just let the people clink the glasses.  Go along with it once to be a good sport, and then don't do it anymore.  They'll get the idea and stop.  FWIW:  I haven't seen, at any wedding I've attended in the last decade, more than 2 rounds of glass clinking.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_clinking-need-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6016d5c2-3568-4499-9c47-bf026b772843Post:ad81697e-e853-4946-a261-ce9f14ff46cb">NO CLINKING! need ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]hello ladies, i don't want the typical clink your glasses and the B&G will kiss.  so i've heard a few ideas, but i want better ones, i don't want if you kiss, we kiss, or trivia, or advice, or stories about the couple, or singing songs with love in it, or bells, i want something a little more original or at least not over done and thinking im original lol I thought maybe, hula hoops, if you can make it go around, we will kiss, and for as long as your shaking your hips we'll be moving our lips :) corny? i think so but at least it's something different and the guests will likely watch the hula hooper more so than us hehe I can't wait to see the responses :) ~Jessica
    Posted by Norms Angel Forever[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to Re: NO CLINKING! need ideas:
    [QUOTE Just let the people clink the glasses.  Go along with it once to be a good sport, and then don't do it anymore.  They'll get the idea and stop.  FWIW:  I haven't seen, at any wedding I've attended in the last decade, more than 2 rounds of glass clinking.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

This. If it happened at ours, we were going to kiss one time and then ignore it, but somehow, no one did it at all.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    If people want to clink, they'll clink no matter what games or activities you set up.

As a wedding guest, I find games and group activities very annoying. It's your wedding, so you can do what you want, but if you are asking for opinions then mine is to avoid the games.

If you MUST do something on this list, then I guess the bells are O.K., but do you really want to hear people ringing little bells all night? (Especially if you will have kids in attendance.) That would drive me absolutely insane.
  • Options
    How about you just kiss when you feel like it.  None of that stuff will be happening at our reception - we're using plastics, so there's that.
  • Options

I find the alternatives (especially hula hoops) just as obnoxious (or more so) than glass clinking. 

If you don't want to do it, just ignore it.  People will get the hint and stop.  Replacing one annoying thing with another is pointless.

• Options
    maybe just ask your MC to annouce to everyone that there will be no kissing for clinking? thats what I was thinking of doing cause I know my family will not stop!!
  • Options
    We had plastics at the wedding, no clinking at all.  Someone clinked at the post-wedding brunch, and I kissed DH.  (He didn't even hear it.)  They kept clinking, and I ignored it.  And lo and behold, it stopped after a few seconds.

If there were a less annoying option than the clinking, every wedding would have started doing it a very long time ago.  Every potential "alternative" is far, far worse than the clinking.  Just say no.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    omg, there is nothing that is more of a groaner at a wedding than when the MC announces that you must sing, perform tricks (ie. hula hoops), tell stories etc.

Honestly, either deal with the clinking (which is the least tacky of any option I have ever witnessed or heard tell of) or just let people know ahead of time that you don't want to kiss on their demand.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards