Ohio-Columbus

Memorial question

So, I'm having a really hard time thinking of a way to memorialize my mom at the wedding... she passed in 06 and we were super crazy close.  Lots of people have been throwing ideas at me but I really don't want to do anything obvious like a huge picture of her on a tripod or something.

The day is going to be full of reminders that she isn't there... but I want just little things to help me remember that she'd want to be.  I'll probably do a bouquet charm and have a white daisy (her favorite flower) in my bouquet.. but I was hoping for some ideas on something else to do that is subtle but that those who know (most of the guests) will see that it is a memorial for her but not draw attention to it.

Does this make sense?  I want to memorialize her but not make everyone cry, I guess lol.  Maybe a candle in an etched vase? I don't know... I haven't come up with much!

Ideas, ladies? =)
TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Memorial question

• edited December 2011
    I am sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. Most of the ladies around these boards agree that the best way to remember someone is something that is simple, subtle and personal.

Here are my ideas:

-definitely mention her in your programs if you are using them
    -wrap a brooch or locket with a pic of her inside around your bouquet
    -carry a small picture of her in your purse pocket
    -wear something that belonged to her: a piece of jewelry, her wedding veil, etc.

Pretty much anything goes as long as it is special and meaningful to you. Good luck.
  • BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have also heard of people leaving a seat empty at the ceremony, and placing a rose (or other flower) there in their place. 
    If your mom had a fav song, you could use it in your ceremony or reception.

I sure you will find great ways to honor her. :) 
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom.  Both my Fiance and I no longer have any living grandparents. And since he is Christian and I am Jewish we decided to light a memorial candle (to cover both religions).  We are going to use a Yahrzeit candle which is a Jewish memorial candle.  It burns 24 hours and can be ornately decorated with remembrances of your loved ones.  You can look into it if you would like.  There's no rule that you have to be Jewish to use one LOL.  They are nice and subtle and burn throughout the ceremony :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sherise40sherise40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am also sorry to hear about your loss.
    I think the candle idea is a great idea. There are some candle companies that will screen print a picture of her on the candle and you could light it at the ceremony. You could also take it to the reception and light it on a small table.
    One thing I have seen is getting a small picture and having it as a charm on your bridal bouquet.

-Sherise Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I hadn't thought of putting something in the program! My brother wrote a poem for her after she died... maybe we can put an excerpt from that! These are fantastic ideas =) 
    I'm definitely doing the charm on my flowers.  Probably doing a candle that me and my siblings will light before the guests arrive.... I kinda like the chair with a flower idea.

Thanks ladies =)

Any other ideas are welcome ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards