Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Estee Lauder Double Wear Review with Flash PIP

I bought Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation a few weeks ago and love it!  After I posted a makeup review several ladies posted it can cause ghosting in flash photos.
I decided after a week of wearing it and loving it I would take some pictures with a flash. These pictures are close-ups since I am holding my Canon digital camera and the flash was in use since I think I am stil seeing it!  I don't see any difference in my face and neck and I don't see any ghosting or color change.

Makeup used:

Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation: Pebble
Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer: light medium
Estee Lauder Lucidity Pressed Powder: Medium
Estee Lauder Double Wear Eyeliner: Black
Estee Lauder Silky Signature Blush: Nude Rose
Estee Lauder Doube Wear Mascara: Black
Estee Lauder eyeshadows from a gift with purchase set.

I use a shade lighter concealer to cover up the chronic dark under eye circles I have, I use a few dots of the concealer under my eyes and one my eye lids, then apply foundation over the concealer.
I will say if you use this foundation be very sparing with the amount you use.  Literally I turn the bottle over on my finger then wipe off the excess back into the bottle, with that tiny bit I work each section of my face fast, to prevent it drying before I am finished.  I figure one bottle will last me over 3 months.  I set my makeup using the Lucidity pressed powder, but using a kabuki brush instead of the sponge, I tossed the sponge in a drawer.  I can get better control this way and it doesn't look heavy. Appy the eyeliner is the same way as the foundation, line one eye then straighten your line or smudge it before it sets, then move to the other eye.  I also have the Automatic Twist up lipliner in Spice & Double Wear Lip gloss Duo in Strong Coffee, but I didn't have it with me at FI's. I do have them on in my pictures that I posted during my first fitting dress pictures.

This is how I wear my makeup on a daily basis, some days I have more dramatic eyes, which will be the look I'm going for on my wedding day.  I plan to do my wn make-up and will be playing with eye shadows & eyeliners for the next few months.
image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Estee Lauder Double Wear Review with Flash PIP

• edited June 2010
    Thanks Amoro!  I truly love this foundation.  I would have never tought to try it if I hadn't read your posts about it.  Honestly, I guess I couldn't get the "its an oldlady makeup" out of my head. I'm really sorry I had never stopped at their counter before.

BTW, these pictures are after wearing the foundation about 5 hours.
  • I used to work for Estee Lauder. Although your foundation looks great in these pics, we were trained to sell it as a non-photo-friendly foundation. I'm not sure how thick you've applied it for these pics, but for anyone who uses A LOT of it, it truly is NOT photo friendly. The ghosting effect is NOT a myth (and this comes straight from the company).

BUT, the new double wear foundation "Double Wear Light" IS photo-friendly, and does not have the ghosting effect, as it is a much lighter version of the original.
  • oooh Mandy - thanks for posting that. I love the "light" but was worried about the flash.  I'm glad to know that it's okay for that because it's FABULOUS foundation.  I don't like foundation very thick so it's perfect.

OP - your makeup looks great!  Did you try taking photos outside?  that might make a difference...
    Photobucket
  • MandyKhan:  That's weird. I had 2 separate Estee Lauder ladies, at 2 separate stores tell me its great for pictures as long as you are matched perfectly to your neck color and you set it with powder.  I use very little, since I truly don't have a lot to cover up, I'm just evening out my skin tone. As little I have to use my bottle will last more than 3 months, probably close to 6.  Maybe the ladies who have the trouble wear it much thicker its very easy to have a heavy hand with it. 
    I've done a lot of online searching on this and its about a 50/50 toss up between people who claim the ghosting and those who don't. I wouldn't mind trying the DL light but it comes in so few closers I'm not sure I can get a match.  I've done a lot of research of foundations for the wedding and tons of foundations use SPF:
    Smashbox's Camera Ready has an SPF 15.
    MakeUp Forever HD: no noted SPF, but ingredients show titanium dioxide
    MakeUp Forever Mat Velvet +: no noted SPF, but per ingredients May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Even my photo on here is with mineral makeup that everyone claims flects light and it never does. I have tons of pictures of me in it, and it never ghosts, but it always wears off by mid day.
    This is me at Christmas with mineral makeup on & this was a flash picture too.

Aimee:  II took these inside with a flash, since that was the original concern. I haven't taken them outside, but I can do that later in the week if its not raining.  I took some last weekend inside without the flash. I don't have the better pics with me.  I was wearing the makeup here too.

• OK... not that I doubted anyone but I am so frsutrated with the advice I got from my Estee Lauder counter and worried about messing up my wedding photos! I did an online chat with a beauty advisor to ask some questions:

Chat InformationWelcome to esteelauder.com. Your personal Beauty Advisor will be with you shortly.
    Chat InformationHello. Thank you for your interest in Estee Lauder. My name is Meghan. How may I assist you?
    Meghan: Hi Tracy!
    Tracy: I just bought the Double Wear foundation, which I love, but now I'm being told by others it will not photograph well, to use the DW Light. How does this foundation photograph?
    Meghan: I am happy to help!
    Meghan: Yes, you are correct, Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 does not photograph well.  However, you will be happy to know that Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 is photo-friendly.
    Tracy: Does it stay in place as well as the regular? Esp in hot sunny weather?
    Meghan: Yes.
    Meghan: Double Wear Light Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 gives you buildable sheer coverage, a natural finish and 15 hours of staying power.  It resists heat and humidity, minimizes pores, and gives skin an even toned, fresh look.  It's also photo-friendly.
    Meghan: What do you think?
    Tracy: The lady I talked to when I bought the foundation stated it was "perfect" for wedding pictures when I went in to be color matched and to ask questions. If I wear Pebble in the regular, what shade would I need in the Light?
    Meghan: Your shade would be Intensity 3 in Double Wear Light.
    Meghan: Double Wear Light is perfect for wedding pictures, if that is the makeup she was referring to.
    Tracy: Ok. I guess I'll have to purchase another bottle and get the Light. I really like the regular foundation. She sold me the regular even after I explained what I was looking for. And I even asked at another counter in another store and got the same answer. I think these ladies need more education on what to sell people.
    Meghan: I am terribly sorry about this Tracy.
    Meghan: I will be sure to forward your comments to the appropriate executives for review.
    Tracy: Thank You for your help & honest answers. I would also ask that Estee Lauder put on the website that the regular does not photograph well, since I started there when looking for a wedding foundation. I will say that I love the makeup and will probably be an Estee Lauder buyer for life.
    Meghan: Thank you for your comments, we do appreciate your feedback.
    Meghan: We would also like to thank you for choosing Estee Lauder.
    Tracy: One more question, one of the things the ladies told me was to be sure & "set" the foundation when wearing, it would make my photos better. Does that help with the photography? I purchased the Lucidity medium compact and it looks wonderful over the foundation.
    Meghan: Yes, using a powder over the makeup does help with photography.
    Tracy: Ok, maybe that helped. I had pictures taken over the last 2 weekends during my dress fittings and none of the pictures caused any ghosting, both with and without flash. I really don't want to mess up over $1500 worth of wedding pictures.
    Meghan: That is totally understandable!
    Meghan: I suggest trying Double Wear Light, I am confident you will be just as pleased.
    Tracy: Ok, Thank You.

Well this may give us some of the answers. LOL!  At least I know that the powder did help with photos and probably will continue to help with any more photos.  And more than likely its my lighter hand in applying all of my foundation that has kept me from having problems over the last 5 years.

Am I crazy enough to try it during the wedding?
    Nope... I 'll be getting a bottle of DW Light just in case, and wearing it that day. I love the DW regular and will more than likely just wear it everyday anyway.   I think I'll go in for a sample of the DW Light and see how I like it for coverage. 

MandyKhan:  Your statement you used to work for them is what pushed me to site to see if i could ask questions, Thanks!

Thank You ladies for your help, your answers and keeping me second guessing myself on my makeup.
    Lord, picking my dress was 10 times easier than my makeup! 
  • I wear and absolutely LOVE EL DW. I dismissed EL as an "old lady" brand for a long time but read on MakeupAlley.com that the foundation is good for those with acne-prone, oily skin. That'd be me and it works wonderfully for me. Glad there are other fans because people on here think I'm a little crazy when I recommend it haha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_estee-lauder-double-wear-review-flash-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:3f50bb5a-56b5-43a6-b61b-3fbf6861b8aePost:eac7fb69-4960-45ae-a9f6-4b080f811cc0">Re: Estee Lauder Double Wear Review with Flash PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear and absolutely LOVE EL DW. I dismissed EL as an "old lady" brand for a long time but read on MakeupAlley.com that the foundation is good for those with acne-prone, oily skin. That'd be me and it works wonderfully for me. Glad there are other fans because people on here think I'm a little crazy when I recommend it haha
    Posted by kelseymw[/QUOTE]

I'm an EL lover too! :D Started wearing it when I was 23, and I'm now 30
  • Ok you ladies are taking the 'ghosting' thing a little too seriously.

Even if you do wear it for your wedding day, you're not going to be ghosted.

The ghosting effect is mute for professaional photographs. The ghosting only applies to indoor flash photography (unprofessional).

As a matter of fact, most indoor flash photography will give you the ghosting effect (double wear or anything else!)

Professional photographers know how to use light properly...so you don't have to worry about 'ruining your wedding photos'.

PS. Most beauty advisors don't know sh*t. I worked in the industry for so long...I know they hire ANYONE...regardless of their makeup background.

Please message me directly if you need to know anything about estee lauder.

• Oh and by the way, OP, you have the mystery ghosting effect in your photos.

You obviously look great...but when estee lauder refers to a foundation not being photo-friendly, they are talking about what your pics look like above.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards