Getting in Shape
Options

I'm ALWAYS so tired!!

I would really like to drop at least 30-40 pounds before I go dress shopping. I do really good when it comes to dieting and eatting right, but when it comes to exercising....well let's just say that I'd rather be doing something else with my time (SLEEPING).   I am currently working a full time and part time job, so I am ALWAYS tired! I really want to lose this weight, does anyone have any helpful tips to keep me motivated?

Re: I'm ALWAYS so tired!!

• Options
    meg65meg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Losing weight has way more to do with what you eat than exercising. Do you track calories? That could help you a ton.

That being said, exercise is great for other reasons. Find something you like to do, or can at least tolerate. You'll never be able to motivate yourself to go running everyday if you hate running.

I, too, am not a fan of exercising. In fact, I am currently dressed in my workout clothes, shoes tied, sitting on the couch trying to avoid working out just a little bit longer. 

I also work a lot, two part time jobs and a full time grad student, so I understand being tired. At some point though, you have to decide if you want 45 more minutes of sleep, or if you want to lose 40 pounds. Once I got over that hurdle, it became a lot easier to get up early and work out everyday.

Other ideas: Tape pictures of dresses around your house. I put some right in my line of vision while I work out so I remember why I'm doing it. I know there are other things we'd rather do than exercise (hang out on TK, for instance), but you have to set goals and make priorities. When all is said and done, 30 minutes of exercise a day is not a lot. People on this board can help keep you accountable too, you can try to find a buddy.

Considering all that....only you can keep you motivated! You can do this if you put your mind to it, but you really have to want it. Good luck!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I run into this cycle a lot. I'm busy so I'm tired and then I don't work out. This is bad but I stay skinny because along with the busy I don't have time to eat/get stuff to make food/etc.  I also feel like crap. When I make the effort to eat more I have the energy I need to get to the gym and I feel much happier and healthier.

You mentioned that you are good with the dieting/eating right..I wonder if maybe you are getting too few calories? This will definitely make you tired.

Getting exercise will actually give you more energy. Sounds backwards but you will feel much better overall.

Good luck. PP also has a lot of great advice!
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Like PP said, most of the work is done in the kitchen. Eat healthy and tracking calories will be a huge help in your weight loss. Of course, adding excercise to that will only increase your results. Find something you enjoy to do. Also, once you begin working out and fitting it into your schedule, it will become more of a habit.

If you are pressed for time, try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd. The workouts are 20 minutes long and I'm huffing and puffing and sweating during them. All you need is the DVD and a set of hand weights.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Try Zumba classes
    abc
  • Options
    I hear ya!!! I'm always tired as well, especially when it is so dark and cold out. I agree that you should focus on diet first before exercise. You can begin to incorporate exercise very slowly by walking. Just start taking the stairs at first and parking farther away in store lots. Then gradually increase activity level. But, focus on cleaning up your diet. 
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, alot of these responses are great but I know exactly how you feel!!!! When you go to work out, take a buddy for support or try to load your ipod with some great beat music, like black eyed peas. The beat will help get you going. Also, I've found that coffee is great, it is a diaretic (helps flush out extra water weight) and it helps give me a little extra boost. Just sip it through a straw to keep it off your teeth if you're whitening before your wedding like me. I've found a good work out and walking in the morning gets my metabolism going for the day and a good protein breakfast is a must!!!! I hope it helps :) Good luck!!! Cool
  • Options
    All of these replies are very helpful! I'm happy to report that I managed to get in a workout last night and this morning before work.  I have posted a picture of my dream wedding dress in my bedroom for some extra encouragement.  My fiance also helps encourage me by working out with me. Hopefully, I will gain a newfound passion for exercise.
  • Options
    Just force yourself to start.  I find that I have a lot more energy during the day when I exercise as opposed to those days/weeks when I tend to slack off.  Once you get into a bit of a routine, I bet you'll have more energy throughout the day to take you into your workout. You just need to bust through that initial 'too tired' feeling.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I decided I want to be in fabulous shape for my wedding and came to the conclusion that if I don't make time for exercise I will have major regrets on the day of the wedding. I don't know if you would be able to do this but I hired a trainer that I work out with 3 times per week and then work out solo 2 times per week. I think this has helped because he motivates me a lot and knows exactly how to get the results I want. Also I have to pay him so I am more motivated to get up and work out because if I skip a session it still costs me money.  I have also started getting up an hour earlier to workout because I realized that when I planned to work out after work I would always think of reasons why I should skip it. Also start drinking lots of water, my father started drinking 60oz per day and lost 20 lbs in 4 months just from this small change. You will probably eat less because the water will keep you feeling full.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs, just want to add the reminder that if you're unusually tired or fatigued, check in with a doctor, because there might be a medical cause.  Treat that, problem solved.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards