Chinese Weddings

qipaos and garters

Does that work? 

FI and I are trying to incorporate both of our traditions (me = midwest, him = chinese).  I will be wearing a qipao at my reception, but still want to do a garter toss.

Can I wear a garter with a qipao?  What color should it be?  Black?  White?  Red?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: qipaos and garters

• edited December 2011

No Black, no White.

Should be Red.

• edited December 2011
    usually the slits on the qipao's are very high. It's really hard to be modest while he fishes for the garter. I would do the garter toss before the dress change? Or have FI just use hands instead of mouth to get that garter off. OR.... if you haven't bought a qipao yet, look for more modern styles that has a more A-line skirt than the traditional straight slit on the sides.

and as for the color..... well, garters are not at all part of the Chinese tradition anyways, so technically you can do anything you want. White or black are not really colours of a Chinese wedding, but you're incorporating two cultures together and you should find a comfortable balance.
  • StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the previous post.  Most Qipaos have very high slit, so the garter is visible and easily retrieved.  A lot of Chinese weddings have a couple of dress change, and that's what I did. I changed from the wedding dress to a Qipao, and then changed to a western style dress before the garter toss for that specific reason.
  • rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    he wants me in the traditional high-slitted qipao.

I probably just won't do a garter toss....haha - solves that problem!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JackieJax05JackieJax05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love this post!  I'm in the same situatiion (I'm American, he's Taiwanese), but hadn't thought that far ahead.  Hmmm... I guess we'll do this part before changing and tea ceremony.  But the garter toss is usually at the end...
  • edited December 2011
    I think red is more appropriate
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards