Michigan-Detroit
Options

What do I look for in a DJ?

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to research DJs and I'm a little stumped.  DJs just seem so subjective, whereas with something like photos or flowers, you can look at the product and decide if you like the person's style.  I've searched the boards and it mostly says that people found their DJ through a referral.  I"m not necessarily looking for referrals since I've found those in previous posts.  Instead, I'm looking for ways to narrow down my options and make a decision.

So besides a recommendation and the cost, what should I use to decide if I want a particular DJ?  How do I know if they are a "good" DJ?  What should I look for on their websites?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much ladies!

-Stacie

Re: What do I look for in a DJ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I would say one quality that I find important in a DJ is that they're also an emcee.  I've been to plenty of weddings where certain events like cake cutting and father-daughter dance are ignored by the guests or the guests are completely unaware of it even happening because the DJ didn't mention it or was ineffective at grabbing anyone's attention.  An emcee DJ will also help keep the evening moving at a good pace and read the crowd well  (music-wise) so that the mood stays bright and upbeat.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can also talk to them and see if you are allowed to check them out at another wedding.  I personally did not do this but some of my cousins did and had no issues.  Dress nicely, so you don't stick out like a sore thumb and just stand out of the way and observe.  As PPs mentioned, making sure they will emcee as well is important. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only spoke with those that had professional looking websites. (It can still be fun, but I think presentation is important)

Also, I think meeting with them is essential. We hit it off right away when we found our DJ, Matt from WED. We shared some interests and cracked some jokes, I felt like I was sitting with a friend and someone I could easily approach if I wanted something different.

Lastly, as far as recommendations go - I would ask people more indepth questions instead of "were they a good DJ?". More like - Did they put off a good vibe? Were they able to feel what type of music the guests wanted? Did they listen to the B&G and guests? Did they have a professional appearance? Did they talk too much in the mic? Did they not talk ENOUGH? Were they heavily breathing into the mic? (I heard this once when checking out a DJ and it ruined their whole business for me)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards