Canada-Ontario
Options

Two shopping experiences, no dress! Help with plus size please!

I'm a little disappointed and kind of upset. Two weekends ago I went to Becker's Bridal but they only had 4 dresses within my budget and size to try on. The Dressroom had a few, but I wasn't over the moon.

Today I went to Chris and Tina's because they were supposed to have a large selection of plus size dresses. They have a catalogue, you look through it and pick out what you want to try, then they pull it. They were super friendly and helpful but NONE of the dresses in the catalogue that I really liked were over a size 10 and they wouldn't fit over my hips.

I'm a 14, I'm not huge, I should be able to try on more than a few silk 1990's numbers!

Does anyone know where I can find modern plus sized samples?

I'm so frustrated right now... I could cry really.

Re: Two shopping experiences, no dress! Help with plus size please!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know how frustrated you are i am the same size and had the same experience.  I'm not actually living in the Toronto area so I can't help with some good stores with bigger selections.  It took me 6 or 7 places to find good size selection of really great dresses.  don't give up your dress is out there!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    nmcarthurnmcarthur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with a friend recently to David's Bridal in Buffalo and they had some there.... I know it's a bit out of the way but they have some really good deals this time of year, before the new stock comes in January
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The place where I bought my dress, Bridals on Spadina, had a decent rack of plus sized samples. They're on Spadina, on the east side, south of Adelaide.

Just up the street you can also try Bridal Fashion Fraire. I'm not sure if they have plus sized samples but they have LOTS of samples so hopefully some of them would fit you.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with David's bridal, although I know you may not want to go that far.  I'm so sorry your first dress shopping experience wasn't great!  I hope the next one will be better!
  • Options
    BoniTraviBoniTravi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know alot of people have complaints about Windsor Bridal and David's Bridal, but I had an excellent time at each of them.  I'm plus size (much more than you) and they had lots to try on.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the perfect dress.
    Oct. '11 Siggy Challenge December: Fave Christmas Movie Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    BIO
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.

I will definitely try Bridals on Spadina and Fashion Fraire. I doubt I'll make it out to Davids Bridal though.

So depressing. You woudl think they could try and make it a bit more pleasant for brides.

Le Sigh...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG I just called Bridals on Spadina to see what they're hours are like and the woman there - Nicole - funniest lady ever! LOL

Just FYI - Hours are 10:30 - 6ish, she recommends you call first 416.593.2654 :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They're opening a David's bridal in Scarborough, I'm not sure when it is set to open though.  It's going to be near Eglinton and Warden.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not til March unfortunately. I'm getting hitched in June, so I can't wait that long.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if there's one in the Toronto area or not but I got my dress at Sophie's Gown shoppe in London.  Lots of dresses to try on and you don't need an appointment.  I went to 3 or 4 other places first and had bad experiences (no sizes, they rushed you, etc...) the ladies there made you feel fabulous!!
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of their customer service, but Rainbow Bridal in Hamilton has a good selection of plus-size stuff.  It's on the lower level.  Up to size 28 I think, which is a bit much for you but at least you'll get in and be comfortable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Carley...

You live in the Beaches right?? Me too...

I bought my dress in Whitby at a place called Bliss Bridal... GREAT STORE! They had a good selection of plus dresses... PLUS... they've rigged out all their dresses with special backing so you can try on ANY dress in the store. I'm a size 16 and was able to try on a size 8 dress (and looked pretty good in it).

The dress I bought was a Mori Lee - their Julietta line is designed for plus size girls and is really flattering... I find a lot of the plus designs aren't.

Good luck!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Rankin! I am in the beaches! Small world!

I don't think I'll be able to get out to Whitby, but I hope I can! Thanks for the suggestion, That's really cool that they've done that and opened up more options. Why doesn't everyone do that? Geez!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hey carleyraine, I know how you feel!!!

Heirlooms in Dundas, ON (basically Hamilton) helped me out. The ladies there were soooo nice. I had a disaster appt at Promises and Lace in Burlington (DO NOT GO THERE!!!) and Heirlooms was the next stop on my dress shopping day. It totally restored my faith in customer service. The prices were great, the selection is fantastic. As a result, they've outfitted me, my 3 bridesmaids, my mom and my fiance's mom too! Plus, they are open Sundays.

Good luck and don't give up!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I found tons of dresses to try on at Best For Bride in Etobicoke, walking distance from Kipling subway on Dundas St. I ended up buying my dress at David's though as the prices were much better.  Good luck!!!
  • Options
    StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally know where you are coming from as I just went through the same thing.  Unfortunately in bridal, plus size isn't until you hit bridal size 20/22.  So all the "regular" dresses are usually in the sample 10/12 sizes.

I did have some luck at Best for Bride in Etobicoke but, I didn't really like the dresses they had stocked.  I also had good luck with Belo Fashions (Dundas West and Bloor) Classy Bridal on Spadina also stocks a lot of the bigger sizes.

Hope you find a dress you love! It takes a bit of patience being bigger than the normal sample but you'll find one, good luck!

Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all sooooooooooo much!

I've found my dress at Ritche on Avenue. I'm not too keen on thier alteration policy as there's no cap and the estimate is a very wide range (200 - 500!) but at least I've found the dress!

Thank you again!

xoxoxo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards