New York-Western

Dress Shop Recommendation Wanted

I'm very recently engaged and have just started planning my wedding.  My wedding is going to be completely non traditional .  The wedding will be in Jamaica and  I'm looking for a knee-length wedding dress (not necessarily white - could be pink or white - leaning towards the pink though).

I visited Peggy's Bridal (where I actually got my dress for my previous wedding 7 years ago and received great service).  However, my last visit was anything but pleasant.  I am on a bit of a time crunch-an  October or Novemeber wedding is what we are thinking right now.  Because I'm looking for a nontraditional wedding dress I think I might like to get a bridesmaid dress.  At Peggy's I was told they couldn't order just one bridesmaid dress and told me I was out of luck (because of quantity and time constraints).  I was treated extremely rudely and definitely felt like my business was not important since I won't be spending thousands of dollars there.

I know many places sell bridesmaid and special occasion dresses online (ann taylor, jcrew, the limited, etc) but a dress I like on a model often looks terrible on me in person and vice versa.  I would really prefer to buy a dress from a local dress shop... but I'm striking out. Susan Deborah and Juliana's said they could not accomodate me.  Any recommendations for places to get a dress (singular) with in a fairly short amount of time.  I'm very frustrated and really discouraged by the way these dress shops have treated and dismissed me.

Any recommendations/thoughts regarding dress shops?

Re: Dress Shop Recommendation Wanted

• edited December 2011
    Lord and Taylor has a great dress selection. You may be able to get a dress in faster at a store like David's or Alfred Angelo, although you may sacrifice a bit of quality and service.  One Enchanted Evening was very nice...I'm not sure if they could assist you but their service was great.  Any bridal shop should be able to rush an order for you. I ordered my bridesmaid dresses from a store in buffalo (MA Carr...highly recommend them) and they came in in about 2 months without a rush.
  • edited December 2011
    I was able to buy a bridesmaid dress for a wedding I was in last year last minute at David's Bridal and they allowed me to buy it off the rack. Or you may be able to try Macy's
  • cutypy0516cutypy0516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen quite a few designers come out with short dresses.  They've been considering them 'reception' or 'cake cutting' dresses.  Jordan has a collection called LWD/LBD in their Moments collection (stands for Little White/Black Dress).  You could look up their styles, and if you liked any, just use the search locator to find someone that has them.  Also, you should be able to buy a bridesmaid dress if you want to.  They may make you pay shipping for ordering one gown, but they shouldn't be able to refuse.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the amount of moments that take you breath away. - Anon
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used MA Carr for my dress, they were wonderful! Alfred Angelo is where we purchased our BM dresses and they were nice enough.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    Bridal Belle
    Vacation Anniversary
  • MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I got my dress from Bridal Chateau and have nothing but good things to say about them!

8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a ton of shops in the area over the years (we had two weddings, one locally and one in PA) and for other people's weddings and I have to say that I really have not found one that didn't have some issues. I think a lot of them cop tudes as soon as they realize you do not want to drop a ton of money on a traditional dress (or at least that was my experience). Honestly I have had better luck online. I wish I could give you a list of sites, but my old PC fried. I ended up sniping my Maggie Sottero dress for my wedding on Ebay and I bought the dress for our second ceremony on David's Bridal online. I wish I could be more helpful. I found that searching by color and not using the word wedding or bridal or gown was the best. Oh and Nordstroms has SUPER cute dresses online. There is one I fell in love with, but they did not have it in my size.

~ CA
  • aircrowleyaircrowley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Wedding Dress in Geneseo is fabulous! Much nicer than Peggy's people!
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I saw a short dress in a window in the village of Webster right at 250 and Ridge Rd, I can't remember the name of the place though, sorry! But I loved the dress!

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    J. Crew and Ann Taylor make some really gorgeous bridesmaid and wedding dresses. They are so light and airy - perfect for a beach wedding. The sizes are limited though, and you most likely will have to order online unless you want to visit their [J. Crew] wedding shop in NYC! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards