September 2013 Weddings

Delegation

I terrible at delegating. In all areas of my life. I'm a prefectionist who would rather drive herself crazy than ask for help and delegate. This isn't something I am bragging about, in fact, it is something I am working on.  And, what a better opportunity to delegate tasks than right now, in wedding planning. In my family, and in my circle of friends, there are at least a dozen of people asking to help in any way they can. So, I am brainstorming the tasks to be done, and the special abilities of each person wiling to help.

I'm interested to hear which tasks other ladies are willing to release entirely into the 'helping hands' that are reaching out to help!

So far the tasks I am considering: obv the showers, and bachelorette festivities, designing map inserts for invitations (having been given dimensions, etc.), choosing/ordering corsages and boutonnieres for key players (grandmas, grandpas, parents, God parents, etc.), music play list suggestions for reception, finding location for pre-rehersal nail apts for bridal party, selecting of thank you cards (for showers and wedding), and stamps!; ...

Closer to day of, esp things I may forget!  preparing thank you card for Priest, church people (I will insert check); and the delivering to each person!, Bridal room 'day of' emergency bag including snack, same for Groom Room; ...

Some are just errands, some are big tasks!

What would YOU delegate, and what do you insist on doing yourself?

Re: Delegation

• edited January 2013
    I'm pretty much doing everything myself. I enjoy doing it and I'm more likely to just go by myself and do it when I want, than to schedule a date and time for the girls to get together to do something like invites or whatever.

The only things being done by others

The Bridal Shower & Bachelorette - Obviously I want no part in planning this

Then other than that, the only tasks I'm delegating are day of tasks. My Aunt has soooooo kindly offered to be our wedding day coordinator, so after getting her hair done in the "early morning" as she put it, she will be my savior for the rest of the day. She will be the one making sure everything is done and running smoothly, she'll pick up the flowers, set them up at the church, then bring them to the venue, she'll be the one with the checked for the vendors that need to be paid. 

She'll also be the one getting the best thank you gift becuase I know this is going to be no easy task, and we're so lucky to have her to do it and not hire someone.

~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know the E board ladies would be horrified by this whole thread!

With that said, I don't see anything wrong with "delegation."  It is expected in my family.  I am one of 5 girls and in our family weddings are "all hands on deck."  We all help with everything.  One of my sisters' is making the flower girls hair wreaths, another found my makeup artist and hair stylist, another basically found our venue and chapel, everyone has been helping me find and make our centerpieces.  They are all planning my bach party and shower.... etc.  We all have done it for each other and find it so much fun! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing everything on my own, minus help from my wonderful stepmom thus far.  The only real help I will need is the day before the wedding to help decorate and arrange centerpieces.  She is helping with that as well as her best friend. 

Hopefully I have some other friends or family that offer to lend a hand, but I will not be asking for help or telling people I am delegating tasks to people.  Whatever they offer to help with I'll be glad to accept or deny. 

If I have to work two jobs and do absolutely everything myself, I will.  It's our wedding and it's no one's job to be responsible for it besides myself and my fiance.  Besides, I am incredibly independent and it would be completely out of character to ask for help anyway. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I can't delegate! I can't delegate at home or work, and this wedding is no different!  The only thing I have delegated was we split up getting addresses and FI got his friends' addresses, my mom got my family's side, FI's mom got her side of the family, and FI's grandma got her side of the family.  It was wonderful! 

My sister has offered to coordinate a batchelorette party and I found out all the bridesmaids are chipping in to throw it.  All she did was tell me when so I could ask off work and she won't tell me anything else!  I am so excited! 

My mom has offered to throw me a bridal shower and she basically has told me everything she is doing for it, even the games!  It is so hard to not suggest things but I am going to sit back and let her plan it. It really sounds beautiful though.

Aside from those parties, I really live a few hours away from everyone so it would be hard to get help.  My mom wanted to make table runners but I found a place to rent the ones I like.  I do want to hire a coordinator so that my mom doesn't feel the need to decorate since I know she will stress about it (and I don't want to get bitchy to her if things aren't done right, since I know in the past, we have argued while getting reay for any special event! lol)
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I delegated the honeymoon to FI. he seems like he's actually having fun with it! 
  • I don't usually delegate.  I'm doing most of my stuff on my own.  My parents are paying for the food at the reception so they are attending the tasting with us and will make the final call on food.  That's sort of on them.  FI was asked to do his side's Save the Dates.  It's still not done but neither are mine so I'm not worried.  FI's mother is doing the RD so that's one less thing for me to worry about.  Other than that, most everything is on me.  If I ask my FI to do something, he'll do it but it has to be a specific task.  He doesn't do well with things like "Can you find a DJ for us?" but does great with "Can you call this DJ and book him?"
  • I really don't like to delegate.  Unfortunately, I've already had to delegate the bridesmaids' dresses to my sister, who is the MOH.  I had one dress I liked in pictures that looked really good on her.  My other maid goes to try it on...WORST looking dress imaginable on her.  We're in 3 different states right now so coordination is not possible so now my sister is going out to stores and trying things she likes to find another dress that might not make my other maid look lopsided and pudgy (when she is, in reality, neither).
  • I am kind of afraid to delegate. My MOHs (my 2 sisters) are planning the shower and the bridal party is doing the bachelorette party. I havent gotten any farther than that much being delegated. for now i just wann do things myself but I know the day before and the day of I am going to be asking alot of people for help (paying vendors, getting flowers, setting up the reception site and church) things are going good so far with me doing what I want when i want. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards