Jewish Weddings

Chicken or Veggie

Hello Fellow Brides! I have a question that I'd appreciate feedback on. Since we had to change around our wedding. Long story short, we moved to Florida for my job promotion and part of my fam lives here so we decided to have our wedding in St. Petersburg. We are basically renting out a quaint bed and breakfast and having the wedding and dinner there. Our rabbi is coming out to marry us. My issue is this:

The food is not kosher and our rabbi will not eat meat outside. I chose 2 veggie entrees (pasta and stir fry); but my mum thinks that some people will want chicken. We are already a small group; so I say everyone can have pasta alfredo or stir fry for one day. The issue is because I am serving a dairy wedding cake and we all know we're not supposed to eat the two within a shorter timeframe. I might add that no one else really keeps kosher. I don't mix dairy and meat and will take the veggie entree. What do you think? I just have visions of the rabbi feeling sick watching people eat the chicken and then maybe 2 hours later have the cake.

Re: Chicken or Veggie

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

i would think you should discuss this with your rabbi.

does he require that the reception is entirely kosher or veggie or just his meal?

image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Rabbi might prefer not to attend if the food is not strict kosher - just kosher style.  As Rach said I would discuss this with the Rabbi and then decide. 
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed - talk with your rabbi.  We spoke with both rabbis involved with the wedding to find out what their requirements were - both said that kosher-style would be acceptable for them.  For us that means offering a fish entree, a veggie entree, and regular dairy cake.  On that note, is there a reason you're doing veggie/veggie instead of veggie/fish? I feel like that's the configuration I've seen most often, not that it's really important.  Just offering another idea.

Also - my wedding is in St. Pete too! I grew up there. Let me know if you need any advice about the area or if you find any especially good vendors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there! I need two witnesses for the ketubah. :) Interested? Fish is not an option because my family does not eat any fish. I did send an email to our rabbi and so I will await for his answer. All in all, I am fine with two veggie dishes and believe everyone else should be too. 
  • edited December 2011
    we served a kosher veggie meal, and though a few of my older relative balked at the idea, no one complained and the food was fabulous. 

i say go with veggie if that's what seems right to you. 

v.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone. I did send an email to my rabbi and I also think that two veggie entrees are just fine, as long as they are delish!  
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing a kosher style with veggie and fish. I think if your mom wants something non veggie add fish and keep everything else milchig.
    Anniversary image
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As prev stated, it's me that has no issue with only veggie. Mom thought some people would prefer chicken. My fmaily does not eat any fish (or seafood for that matter); so fish is not an option.  I received the response from the rabbi and he stated that he was okay either way we wanted to go. :)
  • emily1004emily1004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed, check with your rabbi. 
    My DH and I don't keep kosher, but a lot of our family members do.  We even have some that don't keep kosher, but are vegetarians. So, we had four choices. A meat (beef) option, a kosher option (fish), a vegetarian option and a kids option. This really pleased everyone.
    x
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone. We decided on veggie only adn I emailed the caterer for additional options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards