Jewish Weddings

Finding a Rabbi

Hi All,
I'm newly engaged and new to the Knot and just starting to think about weddings.  I was raised conservative.  My Fiance is not really religious and from a mixed background(non religious jews and non religious catholic), but I think he'll be ok with a reform service.  One question though.  How do I find a Rabbi?  I've been living in my current town for about 3 years and havn't been to services here yet...for high holidays I've been going elsewhere with various family members, but most of those are fairly far out of state, so I don't have a local connection.  I'm in an area with a lot of synagogues, so there are probably a lot of options, but where do I start?  I was thinking of maybe going to a few Saturday services and scoping out Rabbis taht way... Thoughts?  And Thanks!
-L
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Finding a Rabbi

• You can have your family ask their Rabbi if they know any Rabbi's in your town. Rabbis often have connections all over.
  • where in connecticut are you located?  i'm in stamford, if you're close i might be able to help. 
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your idea of scoping out Shabbat services is good. You'll get to see how the rabbi speaks, and interacts with the congregation. Also, like PP said, see if your family's rabbi can connect you with someone more local. And mazel tov on your engagement!
  • Congratulations on your engagement!

My husband was also raised without much religion in his life and from a mixed background (non-practicing Jewish mother, non-religious Anglican father). We had a conservative Rabbi for our ceremony. I think going to services sounds like a great idea to see what their ideals are, especially since you have a lot of options nearby! :)
  • I think that scoping out rabbis at services sounds like a good idea.  I can suggest a conservative shul to try, depending on where in CT you are (I grew up there).  Also consider cantors. 

One word of warning--I don't know if you have your date set already, but it can be hard to find someone.  We had tentatively set our date for July 3, 2011, which was the Sunday of the holiday weekend, and it was really hard to find someone, between it being a popular date for Jewish weddings and the end/beginning of rabbinical contracts (as we learned).  We were looking about 6 months in advance.
  • We found Rabbi Brian Leiken at Temple Shalom in Norwalk.  We had an interfaith wedding (jewish/atheist) in May at Wickham Park in Manchester.  He was awesome!! He worked with us to make the ceremony as unique as we wanted it.  Definitely worth giving him a call. PM me if you want more info.
    We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards