Snarky Brides

Remedies???

Some of you were so helpful with suggestions in regards to skin, maybe you know your sinus remedies too? (I hope). My cold started over a week ago with just a tingle in my throat and has now moved on to runny nose/sneezing/watery eyes/sinus headache. Regular medicine isn't cutting it. I don't know what to do, I am so over this.

Anniversary

Re: Remedies???

• Any kind of sickness, I swear by Thera Flu. It's not the tastiest, but it's warm, feels good going down, and to me, nothing works as well.
  • Sudafed is the only thing that works for me when I have sinus issues.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Drink lots of water
    Avoid or NO caffeine
    Don't smoke or be around it
    DayQuill to get you through the workday
    NyQuill to knock you unconcious at night
    If you can stand it, breathe warm water in your nose and blow it out (Nettipot)
    And just heard this one and know 2 people that swear by it:
    If you have a cough keeping you up at night, smear Vick's Vaporub (no generics) on the bottom of your feet, and cover with socks.  Weird huh?
  • I've had a few people recommend the netti pot but to be honest- it scares me to death! I can't even put eye drops in my eye, how can I squirt water up my nose. I fear that everything will start coming out of my tear ducts or it will go down my throat and then I start choking... I'm crazy I know. I think a netti pot is probably the best thing for me, but I am way too nervous to even try it.
    I'm not a soda or coffee drinker, so I never have caffeine- I imagine that would make the headaches worse.
    I haven't been too bad with coughing, but I did hear about the Vick's rub. Definitely something to remember in the future.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_remedies-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6c823742-35e3-43e4-a6bd-81567aa28dfbPost:d787d11b-ed45-4f7d-9c37-6940647fc4e3">Re: Remedies???</a>:
    [QUOTE] Change your toothbrush every other day or so until your symptoms are gone.  H taught me this one and it's crazy how it shortens a cold.  We buy the cheap 6 packs of toothbrushes from the dollar store when we're sick so we can switch them out without it costing a ton.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This is genius.
  • I never even thought about changing my toothbrush. Great idea! Ok, Iooks like I'll try and work up the courage to do a sinus rinsing. Anything to relieve the pressure!

Anniversary
  • Stage is right about the toothbrushes, cos the cold germs stay on the bristles.  I just keep my old one as my sick toothbrush when I change them out to avoid buying a new one just for colds.  

As for nettipots, they clear me about for apx. 5 minutes, and then a new batch blocks me up again.  It's a super weird feeling too, but I've never had it go down my throat.  I might have had it in my tear ducts once or so, but it just feels like a tear/watery eye.  Anyway, I use the pot and just wait over the sink till it flows through.  I've never used the mist

• Looks like I can pick that up at my local Rite-Aid or WalMart. Wish me luck
    Anniversary
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    For congestion try Sudafed or Mucinex. You need the kind with sudafedrine in it to work the best You have to purchase it over the counter through the pharmacy counter or up at the front registers since they now monitor who buys large quantities of it.  

Note, don't combine two medicines that have sudafedrine in it. 

Hope you feel better! 

ETA: If the pain and congestion get really bad in your sinuses, consider going to the doctor. You can develop a sinus infection from something that starts off as a cold. They'll give you antibiotics to clear it up. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_remedies-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6c823742-35e3-43e4-a6bd-81567aa28dfbPost:17574bbe-9578-4ece-bd7b-8f86ab2b8234">Re: Remedies???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drink lots of water Avoid or NO caffeine Don't smoke or be around it DayQuill to get you through the workday NyQuill to knock you unconcious at night If you can stand it, breathe warm water in your nose and blow it out (Nettipot) And just heard this one and know 2 people that swear by it: If you have a cough keeping you up at night, <strong>smear Vick's Vaporub (no generics) on the bottom of your feet, and cover with socks</strong>.  Weird huh?
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

When I have a terrible cold, I ALWAYS do this or any eucalyptus oil and nyquil to knock out and wake up much better. The only problem with nyquil with me is that I can sleep forever and then I feel like I slept for days. One time, I slept from 6pm to 9am the next morning and it seriously felt like 3 days. haha.

Oh an then I plug in one of these purifier things. It's for kids but I swear by it.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/SudaCare-Nighttime-Vapor-Plug-Waterless-Vaporizer/dp/B000FKERO0" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/SudaCare-Nighttime-Vapor-Plug-Waterless-Vaporizer/dp/B000FKERO0</a>
  • I get a sinus infection every single year. If it is a cold that is putting pressure on your sinuses, the other ladies have given great advice. But if it turns into an actual sinus infection, I would highly rec going to the doc because antibiotics will work on that (unlike a cold). I have good luck in the past with the Z Pack (you only have to take it like 5 days or something awesome). For true sinus infections, I've found I don't get better until I visit the doc and get a script.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I take Vitamin C and Zinc supplements as soon as I feel a cold coming on.  I've also heard that colds are 3 days coming, 3 days staying, and 3 days leaving so hopefully you're at the tail end of things.  If it doesn't clear up soon I'd go to the doctor to rule out a sinus infection which will probably need antibiotics to fully clear up.
  • Loopy!! How's the baby?
  • I LOVE my neti-pot bottle thing! I was terrified the first time, but it turned out just fine. I've done it several times since. Just remember to keep breathing through your mouth, that will keep it from going down your throat. Follow the directions!!! The little packets of salt and stuff are SUPER important! If you dont use them it will burn!!

Also.. If you're blowing your nose alot and you still feel stuffed up, your nasal passages may be swollen, not stuffed! Try a nasal mist (I like Afrin severe congestion no drip).
    '
  • I know I don't post on SB but I wanted to share my remedy! I found it on pinterest and have made my entire family use it over the holiday: http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/articles/home-remedy/

It tastes awful but it starts clearing out my sinuses and calms my cough almost immediately. I don't recommend taking it on an empty stomach and I use Manuka Honey with it for the antibacterial properties it offers. The best part is that you can take it as many times/as often as you need it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • edited January 2013
    I love my neti pot because of my allergies so don't swear them off, but you should know a few things.

1) Some tap water contains a rare pathogen or parasite or something that is harmless when ingested. But if you put it up your nose it can go to your brain.

2) Mucous in your nose protects you, that's why it's there. So you shouldn't use a neti pot too often. Certainly while you're sick is fine but if you have chronic allergies like me, you shouldn't do it more than once every 2-4 weeks.

http://www.boston.com/dailydose/2012/09/06/rare-neti-pot-deaths-prompts-warning-for-use-sinus-infections/mUKfJUX5Tt85hupbQCISOO/story.html

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_remedies-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6c823742-35e3-43e4-a6bd-81567aa28dfbPost:7b7c3f8c-b03c-46b2-a0bf-2aad9afebd81">Re: Remedies???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know I don't post on SB but I wanted to share my remedy! I found it on pinterest and have made my entire family use it over the holiday: <a href="http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/articles/home-remedy/" rel="nofollow">http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/articles/home-remedy/</a> It tastes awful but it starts clearing out my sinuses and calms my cough almost immediately. I don't recommend taking it on an empty stomach and I use Manuka Honey with it for the antibacterial properties it offers. The best part is that you can take it as many times/as often as you need it.
    Posted by kristbot[/QUOTE]

<div>I've heard of this from Pinterest too and I've always wondered how well it worked, but I was a little scared to try it. I may have to make H be the guinea pig first, lol. </div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Sorry it took so long to post back but I had great success with the Neill Med bottle sinus rinse. The pressure was relieved immediately and I felt like a new person by the time I woke up Saturday morning. I am so glad I was talked into this. And I was terrified for no reason at all. I didn't feel a thing!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards