Catholic Weddings

He's only baptized but non 1st communion or confirmation

Me and my hubby-to-be have decided to have a catholic wedding. The only problem I am seeing is that he is only baptized catholic while I have my baptism, 1st communion and confirmation. Is there going to be a problem with teh priest performing a wedding? Will he have to have the other 2 sacraments before the wedding?

Re: He's only baptized but non 1st communion or confirmation

• edited December 2011
    You will have to check with your preist.  I was in the same situation only reverse.  I had only been baptized.  FI had received all of the sacraments through confirmation.  When I talked with our preist he said that was fine because he had completed all of that.  I decided to complete all of it by going through RCIA though.  I am so happy that I did!  Your FI may decide that too! 
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    he should be ok with just baptism.  they may or may not allow you to have Mass.
    confirmation is not required for marriage.
  • edited December 2011
    my fl is baptized  and has his 1st commuion done but only HALF of his confimation done.

I on the other hand am not Catholic but am going to be taking RCIA( sorry if i spelled it wrong) Classes in Sept of this year and get Bapitzed/confirmed on Easter next year. Fl is going to take ALL the classes with me. ( the father of the church is happy fl is doing them with me).

The father didnt' see a problem with him not having it all done but suggested he gets it all done before marriage (the father felt fl would be much happier getting all his stuff done before the wedding)!

I would also suggest like the others is talk to the church and see what they require and say!

best of luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should ask your priest.  My fiance is not Catholic, so he has not received any sacraments.  We are allowed to do a ceremony, but not a Mass.  For a Mass, I believe you need all of your sacraments.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This may be another one of those situations left up the priest to decide.

SIL had missed confirmation in his teens due to a school change and the priest required it for their wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Is your FI Catholic?  The Priest may take issue if he is Catholic, but otherwise you can still have a Catholic ceremony but it may not be Mass.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    This is very similar to what FI and are going through. I am Catholic (baptism, confirmation, communion) and FI was only recently baptised. While you need to speak with your priest, it might still be possible for everything to work out well. Our solution is this: As FI has already been baptised *technically* all he needs is to be accepted into the church prior to receiving first communion. In this case it is publicly stating the creed (which is done during mass at the priest's discretion). He will do this at our wedding thus enabling FI to take his first communion at our wedding mass. As for confirmation, he will go through that following the wedding.

Basically, talk with your priest.
  • edited December 2011
    Confirmation is not required by most churches to be married in the church unless you want a full mass. However, I recommend going through RCIA to be confirmed. I went through it since FI was confirmed and I wasn't. I learned so much about the church and myself.
  • edited December 2011
    Ask the priest. I would suggest he go thru RCIA if he wants too, of course. That was my situation just over a year ago and I went thru RCIA so we could have a full Catholic mass like FI wanted and was important to him.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My priest offered to do a full nuptial mass for my FI and me, even though my FI is Protestant.  My FI wouldn't be able to take Communion, though, so we haven't decided yet.

Edit: my FI indicated that he's interested in doing RCIA, so that might have made a difference.
  • jana216jana216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are in the same boat..im only baptized....priest at both of out churches said it was no problem.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    if you pull up the canon laws of teh Church, it clearly states that confirmation isnt required for marriage.  it does say that it should be completed if possible, but priests cant require it as the canon laws dont require it.   the laws do recommend it be completed if it wont cause "grave inconvenience".
  • Lauren&SeanLauren&Sean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI isn't Catholic.  My priest explained that he didn't recommend a full Mass because the groom would be more or less left out of the sacrament, and it is a ceremony between two people.  My priest did say that we could have the Mass if we really wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards