Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

NWR-Open House

Hello girls. It's been like forever. Quick question. I am having an open house on my townhouse this weekend and was wondering if I should put some flowers in a vase or maybe light a scented candle. What do you think?
We have been looking at houses and a few of them are "staged" so nicely. I enjoy seeing little touches added but is it worth it? I really really need to sell!
ME:44 MH:42 DE IVF 2013
image Matrix image Ollie

Re: NWR-Open House

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea!  We were definitely more impressed with houses that were "staged" and smelled clean.

I would be weary of candles lit during the open house, perhaps light in the morning and the scent will linger? 

Very thoughtful of you!  Hopefully the open house goes well! GL
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011

Your right about just lighting in morning. I walked in one house and my husband said they must of just baked a pie. I'm like it's prob a candle. Thanks.

image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello! When my sis was selling her house, she always had flowers throughout the place and she would bake cookies right before the open house was scheduled. I think scents and visual elements like flowers do wonders! You could use a tart warmer too. The tea lights burn out on their own. Also, if you wanted to use a candle, i'm sure it would be fine. You house will have people in it. Hope that helps!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree!  These are all great suggestions.  Good luck with the open house!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GL with sellling, Becky! Maybe I missed it, but did you and DH buy a house? If so, congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No Kim not yet. We are house hunting now. We might put an offer on this house in Plum. Hopefully they will let us do it. If someone else puts an offer on it and I didn't sell my house then we just don't get it. You never know it could work out!
    image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a show on HGTV that is all about staging/preparing a house prior to showing it.  They recommend decluttering, eliminating traces of pets (ie, crates, dog beds, etc.) and febreezing.  Another tip was to use baskets to store excess books/clutter/etc.  And the popular bake cookies!

I think its called Designed to Sell, and probably has more tips than you need (some of the people need lots of help!) but you may find a few useful tidbits.  They have a blog online too I think.

I watch HGTV religiously so think that this makes me an expert - I am not, so feel free to disregard my tips!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As someone who has looked at probably 50 houses over the past year, just make sure the scent is not too strong!  When we looked at houses with candles lit, we wondered what kind of smells they were trying to hide.  Clean scents are the best; even just using some Pine Sol right before the open house will add a fresh scent to the rooms.  I never saw fresh flowers, but that would be nice! 

Good luck house hunting, Becky!  It took us 9 months but we finally found one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards