Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

HELP! Is my song for our entrance to the reception tacky?

We are huge Pittsburgh Steelers fans and are wedding colors are the steelers team colors, black and yellow.
We were planning on making our entrance into the reception to Whiz Khalifa's song Black and Yellow. I love that song and Whiz Khalifa is a Pittsburgh native and I thought it was fitting, but my mom, my sister, my future mil and future sil told me they think it is tacky, so now I am having second thoughts. Is it really that bad to walk into that?
I don't have much time to decide, our wedding is May 14th and I need to get the music into our dj.
Thanks for your help!

Re: HELP! Is my song for our entrance to the reception tacky?

• edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it. However, if the original song has some language that might be deemed inappropriate to some guests, find an edited version. People who know and love the song will enjoy the entrance, and other people won't be offended. My FI and I are going to have a pretty upbeat and perhaps otherwise "too wild" song for some folks, but I think it is important to choose a song that YOU like and that will get you AND your guests pumped! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Robyn5298Robyn5298 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I love it! Definitely go with this if it's something you and your fiance love. And ditto what PP said about getting the radio edit. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is fine, but I agree to try and find an edited version of it.
  • coraloccoraloc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think your entrance to the reception pretty much sets the mood for the rest of the reception so if you're going for something fun and upbeat, then you're telling your guests to get down and party!

Our reception was during game 3 of the 2008 baseball playoffs, and since we're big Phillies fans, we went all out with rally towels, foam fingers, and other baseball-related items.  It's your day so go for it, especially if the rest of your theme leans towards the Steelers!
  • edited December 2011
    Nope I am huge pittsburg fan also, I think thats Cool. Foun out they are play SF this year so I get to see them play woohoo...Good Luck! You should name your tables after players...we are thinking of naming ours after football teams, something me and my fiance share in common love football, but he is a 49er fan (also why getting tickets for that game) lol 
  • edited December 2011
    As a fellow Pittsburger I LOVE your idea. Go for it, just an editied version would be best!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have the DJ edit it so you only hear "black and yellow" and not all of the words.  You might want it slowed down a tad.
  • edited December 2011
    I say go for it! FI and I will come in to "Lookin For A Good Time", which is a song about a one night stand. But we LOVE the song and well, it explained us to a T when we first met. We both came in to it thinkin it would be a one night type thing. The next day he made sure to have my # before I left and we've been inseperable ever since.

While some may see it as odd, we find it perfect. Thats all that matters (as long as you keep it verbally appropriate as PPs have said)

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards