Flowers
Options

Professional florist or DIY?

I know this is certainly my call, but I want to hear your opinion. How hard is it to make bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages? I feel confident that I could do a good job but everyone around me seems doubtful... mainly because they think I'm trying to do too much myself.

I want to do something like this: http://wedeventdesign.blogspot.com/2009/07/bouquets-for-muffy-martini.html

I just want to hear your experience or your plans. How did you do it? How hard was it... how much help did you have... etc.

Re: Professional florist or DIY?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you could! Depending if you're an artsy type of person... I'm having a family friend do ours, and it does take a lot of time! As well as money of course!
    I say go for it (: Then if it doesn't work out then get a florists help!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are using live flowers then I would leave it up to a professional.  There is so much going on in the days leading up to the wedding you are not going to want to be tied down with having to do your flowers.  If you have the funds then I would definitely let a florist take care of it for you.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sslfkusslfku member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am kind of doing both. I am having the florist do my bouquet and all the boutonnieres, but I am buying real bulk flowers and having a family friend wrap them with ribbon the morning of the wedding, so it all depends on what your budget is and if you care how much the flower colors match, and how attentive you are to detail!  I am doing a few different flowers in my bouquet, but just picked one for the BM and I have no idea how to begin to make the boutonnieres or corsages and I wanted real flowers for the wedding party. Our budget doesn't allow for the florist to make everything, so the easiest to make will be the BM bouquets I believe. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing all of my bouquets, bouts, corsages, ceterpieces, and aisle decor. I am using all silk flowers due to allergies. If you are using real flowers, I might suggest a professional, though1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I'm not sure I'd DIY flowers for your wedding. It sounds like you are already doing a bunch of stuff yourself, do you have the time and will you have the energy to DIY flowers too? I used to work at my mom's flower shop and did a friend's wedding flowers for her. We kept things simple, but it was a lot of work. As well, my FI's friend was doing her own flowers. I happened to go to her room the night before the wedding and found this out. I ended up making all the boutonnieres, her bouquet and a couple bridesmaids bouquets. It took me a couple of hours to get everything done, but I know she would have been up all night trying to get them all done.  And I have experience making bouquets and boutonniers. If you do end up DIYing flowers, be sure to get some practice in because you don't want to find out it's too difficult or time-consuming the day before your wedding. HTH! Good luck!
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am DIYing with real flowers. It isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. Watch some youtube videos on it and you will see. Bouquets are super easy to do and will take only a few minutes. Bouts take some practice, but once you get them down it shouldn't be too bad especially if they are simple. I suggest getting some supplies from a craft store and picking up some cheap flowers from the grocery store and practicing. If you decide that it isn't for you then you will still have time to get a florist. To me, the expense isn't worth it. Why should I pay someone else over $1000 when I can get all of my stuff done for less than $400?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am scared to do it myself. I was going to try and do it and I would go into a flower shop to get ideas and eventually I just thoughtit would look better and I wouldnt have to worry about the hassel. They would be to contact if you have any questions, http://www.scottsflowers.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to do it myself, mostly for the challenge of it :) I'll definitely get flowers from the supermarket and practice, though.

It also depends on how big your wedding party is. I'll be making only 5 buttonieres, 2 corsages, 4 BM bouquets and my bouquet, so I think it's manageable.
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister is doing ours. She is talented with arranging flowers and they will be beautiful! :D

I have done them before, and it wasn't that hard. Just practice, and if you decide you can't do it, pay someone. At least you tried! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards