Catholic Weddings
Options

Programs!

I was wondering if Programs are requried?

Soon to be hubby's family is catholic and my family is not ( except my dad he is catholic).

So would a program be a good idea so people who aren't catholic knows what is going on?

What does a program intell? (sorry if you haven't read my previous post i am becoming catholic and new to this whole thing).

Thanks for your input!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Programs!

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we opted to not spend the time or money on programs. 

the ones ive seen usually just write out the songs being used for each section of hte ceremony/Mass, the readings, and they list out the bridal party members.  IMO, folks dont really need all of this info, but some may like them as a memento of the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not required but we are having one; I just think they're nice to have, especially for those who are unfamiliar with a Catholic ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm pretty sure my church requires us to have a program.  At a bare minimum my church wants us to include the lyrics to the response of the responsorial psalm, the refrain of the communion hymn, and a note about non-Catholics not receiving communion.  We'll also add in the song numbers of the other songs, the reading numbers, and a list of parents/WP/readers.

Looking back at the required components for my programs, most of them relate to communion.  If you are not having a full mass (which is what I would guess since only your FI is Catholic), then a program might not be necessary.  However, I still think they are nice and help your guests follow along.  As a guest, I also find it nice to know tidbits like the person doing the first reading is the bride's roommate, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_programs-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:9aff31ad-b3ca-46eb-b115-e616d1e17072Post:c316e2f0-58b1-4d12-893c-1d6167390704">Re: Programs!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm pretty sure my church requires us to have a program.  At a bare minimum my church wants us to include the lyrics to the response of the responsorial psalm, the refrain of the communion hymn, and a note about non-Catholics not receiving communion.  We'll also add in the song numbers of the other songs, the reading numbers, and a list of parents/WP/readers. Looking back at the required components for my programs, most of them relate to communion.  If you are not having a full mass (which is what I would guess since only your FI is Catholic), then a program might not be necessary.  However, I still think they are nice and help your guests follow along.  As a guest, I also find it nice to know tidbits like the person doing the first reading is the bride's roommate, etc.
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

What is Fl? sorry i have no idea what that means.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     Thanks Ladies for you help!
  • Options
    sawahleeesawahleee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI is fiance... this page has a lot of FAQs and a whole list of the abbreviations you'll encounter =)

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/community-frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    Visit The Knot!PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Programs are never neccessary, however at a Catholic wedding especially, people really appreciate them.   Non catholics can feel kind of lost or left behind when they don't know what's going on.  If half of the people won't be catholic, I suggest doing programs.  Here is a guide to help you with the order of the mass for the programs: 

http://catholicweddinghelp.com/wedding-planning/11-wedding-program.htm

I would put the order of the mass and the responsorial psalm, alleluia and amen at bare minimum.  You might also want to put when to sit, stand and kneel and what people respond.  But, if you put too much, it gets really long.  So, just put what you feel comfortable putting. I would definitely recommend having something in there about non catholics coming up to recieve a blessing from the priest by crossing their arms in front of them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp.  I did one (DIY) b/c many of the guests are non-Catholics.  This way, they won't be completely lost.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    These 3 websites will help you make your program:

If you need any help on the content, we're here for you!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I converted, nobody from my side is a Catholic. Therefore, I am providing extremely detailed programs so that my family and friends can follow along and not be lost the entire ceremony. I'm adding details like when to stand, sit, and when they are invited to kneel.

It's important to me that they know what's going on and why we do some of the things that we do.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    lola-belle77lola-belle77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did as PP stated including when to stand, sit and responses to the readings.
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I plan on having programs because even though i'm catholic, many of our guests will not be.  I found a sample program online from a church in san francisco - if you plan on making your own, hopefully this will be helpful! 

http://www.stdominics.org/resources/attachments/1214/wedding_planning.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards