New York-Long Island

vender review (PIP)

Hi ladies, I just had my wedding on the 18th and wanted to give a review of my venders so that any of you still looking for them would know what is good.
I had my wedding (ceremony/reception) at The Douglaston Manor, although there were some annoying things that happened, over all everything was great.  The food was AWSOME, and the service was pretty good too! Here is a pic of the ceremony so you can see what it looks like!

My flowers where done by pedestals florist in garden city park, I can't say enough good things about them!  I worked with Christopher Michael, and he was AMAZING, they did a fantastic job!  here are pics of the bouques and ceterpeices

My linens where from The Finishing Touch in hicksville, they were also very good, they delivered my linenes to to venue and then picked them up after.  I decided to fold my own napkins so I picked those up myself.  they have a showroom where you can see all different kinds of linenes for your wedding.  they even fropped of a set with the florist for my centerpiece sampling (see above picture) I'll also post a pic of the napkins

I also used  Emily Murray for my calligraphy (see above pic of place card) she did my invites too.  although her work is wonderful, she would go MIA everytime I gave her something to do.  and she ALWAYS seemed to be "out of town" or "on vacation"  she stressed me out big time.  I ended up having to have my sister stalk her a few days before the wedding to find out what was going on with the place cards.  she would never answer her phone(s) or return my calls.

My BP bought their dresses from macy's bridal in the smithhaven mall.  I wouldn't recomend this.  the ladies were nice (but it was kind of that fake nice) and before ordering the dresses they thought all my ideas were great, then when the dresses came in WRONG suddenly the way they came in was BETTER and I should just leave it. basically it was just what was more conviniant for them.  and DO NOT DO YOUR ALTERATIONS THERE, not only in it rediculously expensive, 2 out of 4 did them there, and my one sister paied over $200 for alterations (that was more then the dress) mean while the other 2 paid about $60 somewhere else, for basically the same alteration. and the alteration lady was kinda bitchy.

I bought my dress at Kleinfelds in Manhatten, and out of 10 i'd give it a 7.  the cunsultant I had was eh, and the alterations lady always seemed rushed.they also didn't have my dress ready when they said they would. (they said pick it up on the 15th and when I took the 2hr drive to the city they said "oh it won't be ready untill the 22nd".  WHAT?!? my wedding is (was) the 18th. thank god for Frank (the mens dept. guy) DH bought his tux from the kleinfelds mens dept. and he LOVED every second of it! anyway, back to the dress drama, so I went to Frank and told him what happend and he pulled the owner out of a meeting and told her to fix it NOW.  so they ended up hand delivering my dress to my door the next morning!

Our officiant was father Joe DeVincenzo, he was awsome and did an absolutly beautiful ceremony!

for a photographer we used Patkin, haven't received the proffs yet, but I trust they will be great.  I know a rediculouse amount of ppl that used them.

the limo company we used was Black Tie Limos and, yea, ummmm we got in the limo to go to the venue and there was a swarm of nats or fruit flies, and I mean a SWARM.  it was gross.  so i made sure someone told the guy BUT when DH and I got into the limo after the reception the limo still had nats in it (although not as meny)

My makeup was done by a girl named Nina, she was really good too.  I wasn't to sure after the trial, but she did an AWSOME job on all of us. here is a pic of the makeup (it's about 4 hours after she did it)

My DJ was Epic Events, and they did AWSOME, they did just what i had wanted, which was minimal MCing and played just enough of everything else!  they also did my lighting, which was great too!  I'll post a pic so you can see the lighting

my cake was from La Bonne Boulangerie.
it Tasted amazing, and their prices where resonable.  the color was a bit off, but no biggie.  heres a pic (don't mind us)

so i think that about covers it.  I am sure I missed something, but I hope this helps someone!  Good luck to everyone still planning, enjoy it!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: vender review (PIP)

• edited December 2011
    how were the prices on the linens? I'm trying to stick to a chocolate brown/pink scheme, but everywhere I call to rent linens, it's just ridiculously expensive, so I'm thinking I'll just leave the ivory linens they provide, get a brown runner, use pink napkins and call it a day :(
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • XxKrazy4uXxKrazy4u member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nice review. I am also using Father Joe for our ceremony at Atlantis...and Patken as well. So i am curious to see your review when you get your proofs.

I also was going to get my cake and La Bonne...but my venue offered one with our package. I wasnt impressed though from the tasting we had at their open house so i may still go with La Bonne. I had a cake made there for my fiances bday and it was amazing. Beautiful wedding. :-) Congrats.
  • lorr2002lorr2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_vender-review-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:4d8944b1-75b5-4655-8e32-00f5fd4dfc2fPost:d8a6d687-bdef-47c0-8c5d-f533d389c275">Re: vender review (PIP)</a>:
    [QUOTE]how were the prices on the linens? I'm trying to stick to a chocolate brown/pink scheme, but everywhere I call to rent linens, it's just ridiculously expensive, so I'm thinking I'll just leave the ivory linens they provide, get a brown runner, use pink napkins and call it a day :(
    Posted by faerylvr27[/QUOTE]

the linen prices we decent, I had 2 linens per table so it was obviously more money then if you choose a single linen. but figure you may pay around $45-50 per linen.  some were more expensive depending on what was on it, like beading and such.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would like 2 linens per table too, but $45 just seems like so much for me :( Oh well. I'll keep shopping! Thanks!!!!! :)
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • edited December 2011

First of all -Congratulations on your Wedding! Your pics look beautiful.

My fiancee and I are considering Douglaston Manor as a possible venue for our wedding. We visited and liked it. But we just read some internet posts (Yelp) about how the service was bad and they serve cheap liquor and the food isnt good?

Did you have any problems?
    Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards