Arizona-Phoenix
Options

KeraStraight Review

Hi fellow Knotties,

Thought it was important to post a review after my Ulta experience with KeraStraight, since this seems to be the "latest/greatest" thing ever for those of us with curly/wavy hair. And since some of you may be considering it instead of a Brazillian blow-up before your wedding, I thought this was the best place to post my experience. (I also posted under the Hair 411 board, but knowing that Ulta's in AZ are currently offering the deal on KeraStraight, thought I should share it here, too!)

So, first of all, let me describe my "natural" hair. If I shampoo/condition and let air dry my hair is a frizzy flat mess. The top is what I would describe as stringy wavy. The bottom half is somewhat curly and softer. Typically, to style it curly, I use a couple of products (Curls Rock and Curlisto mousse) and blow dry with a diffuser. Straigtening my hair is usually quite time consuming 30-40 minutes and involves blow drying in sections and flat ironing.

I had hopes that KeraStraight would at least make it a quicker process to straighten my hair without chemically damaging it like a Brazilian would. More on that later... 

The process itself was ridiculous. Not sure if this can be blamed on lack of experience on behalf of my stylist or that my hair is really that unruly, but it took 4 HOURS! (Everywhere else online says it should take 2-3 hours.) I'm guessing part of the problem was that the stylist felt like it was necessary to keep combing out my tangled mess of hair, even with the KeraStraight product in it. One word for that torture... OUCH!

Also, I don't think that the stylist completely rinsed the product out because once we had reached the final product, the texture of my hair was not soft and silky but rather coarse. I did notice right away however that my hair was not tangling as much (which typically happens even when I manage to get it perfectly straight myself). I wanted to go home a rewash my hair right away but was so burnt out after having my hair yanked and pulled for 4 hours, that I decided to wait until this morning. Oh, also, those of us with dark hair (that has been colored, and mine had red highlights, too), your color will fade. Not terribly, but if you're looking to keep your super dark locks, you'll need to recolor your hair a couple days later.

Well, surprise surprise, it still took me 30+ minutes to straighten my hair this morning. On a postitive note. it actually looks better than it typically does, and feels much softer than it did yesterday when I left the salon. Less tangling and shinier, too. I have recieved quite a few compliments from folks at work today.

I'm interested to see how things look when I allow my hair to airdry and when I try to wear it curly (like the stylist says I'll be able to do). I'll post updates in this thread, as I discover this. I think the bigger take home point is that this will not straighten your hair. It'll just make it look better when you do the work to straighten it yourself. As far as I'm concerned, this hasn't lived up to the hype built up about it online nor the cost ($160 + ($26 ea. extra bottle x 2 for me) + $27 maintenance shampoo + tip = about $300 and this is with the current Ulta discount) for a glorified conditioning treatment that is supposed to last 4 months. My opinion may change when I style differently, but that's how I'm feeling about it today. :) Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck, Knotties! P.S. Sorry so long! Yikes!

Re: KeraStraight Review

• Options
    sooner365sooner365 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My hair girl does the Brazilian and I love it!! It was not full of chemicals at all actually and has lasted for over 12 weeks and she does them for $99. All I had to do was blow dry my hair and not straighten it at all!  It serioulsy took me 5 min. to dry andmaybe flat iron my bangs. My hair is very wavy and I would have to everyday,not with this!  The blowout took about 90 min. and I colored my hair first. It didn't do anything to my color and I went dark(more natural). You do have to wait at least 2 weeks to re-color.
    I am glad you liked it though:) I am a BB girl!! Made a HIGE difference on my hair in a good way and didn't get suckered into buying the "special" shampoo. Just use  LOREAL sulfate free shampoo/conditioner and it is the same thing!!  I think better than what they sell you :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sooner, Thanks for the info on the Loreal Sulfate-free shampoo. I'm a liitle confused about the Brazillian that you had because everything else that I've seen, the Brazillian has formaldehyde in it. Do you know what the product was that your stylist used? Thx!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

She went through the ingredients with me on the bottle and I didnt see any formaldehyde listed.(it might have a little in it,but no outrageous level) Didnt smell bad or anythin.  As far as product, are you asking for the blowout? It was the Original Brazilian Blowout. It is a brown/tan bottle and the one that was the safest. They also have the BB Zero. It a tan bottle with teal lettering saying ZERO. That one is I guess more natural and plant derived. 

The BB did not chemically damage my hair. If your stylist is not trained and licensed to do this,i guess it could... I had very overprocessed hair from bleach and my hair was so healthy and smooth after. It is just putting a protective barrier on your hair shaft,thats why they recommend coloring you hair before hand. Because the new color will not take due to the hair being protected. I felt like I had virgin hair again:)) It lasts for about 12 weeks,depending on how often you wash your hair and what not. But to be able to just blow dry my hair and be done was awesome!! 

I would never use something with all those "chemicals" in it. It is not meant to perfectly straighten your hair,just be more manageable and less frizzy. It took about 90 min. and then I was done! If you want my girl's info,let me know. She is very well trained in this field and went to so many classes/shows for this to be licensed.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the BB Zero bc it does not contain anything harmful,but same effects:)) It is way safe!! I was just looking it up.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more thing... it also stated that the true one used in Brazil had high levels. the one here in the US does not,It has below the legal limit. But also,alot of women have reactions due to poor ventilation while using it. You have to have proper ventilation because even hair dye can affect you!
    Hope I can change women's minds on this:)) I love it and plan on getting another one soon!! It was money well spent(mine was free but she charges i think like $150) Not $400!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the helpful information! What's the name of the stylist who does your BB? Which part if the valley? I'd definitely be interested in trying it out once KeraStraight fades. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards