Second Weddings

What a week...sorry a bit long

I'll try to keep this brief...

I'll start with Monday, when I was informed (over the phone) that I was being laid off.  We knew layoffs were coming, and I thought I would be on the list, so I wasn't shocked. I had been very unhappy for a while, but still, no one wants to hear that they're not wanted.  Luckily I got paid out for all my years, so I have a cushion before needing to find another job.  The whole process of dusting off my resume and pounding the pavement is not making me jump for joy.

I spent all day Monday and Tuesday ensuring that all documents/websites/emails that were personal (i.e. wedding related) were off the laptop and Blackberry before I had to turn in back in.  There were some files within the Notes folder, that I didn't worry about, thinking that i didn't need whatever was in there...until I remembered that the wedding vows that I spent the last 18 months fine tuning were in that folder...and all files had already been wiped off the laptop!!  

Needless to say, I was emailing various people in the company, pleading that they restore my files, so that I could obtain my vows, and I'm happy to say that they did. They also recovered the files labeled "wedding toast", "wedding songs" and "wedding program", all which I had created long ago and forgotten all about (the down side of planning too early!).

I'm happy to say that I have all my original files back, and have spent the rest of the week recreating contact lists and moving all my files to one of the other laptops in the house.  It's 1:00 in the morning, and I finally think I'm back on track. 

Now I can finish planning a wedding, shopping for a prom dress, plan a graduation party, and get married, as well as do a ton of home improvements that I never had time for.  Life is still good...different, but good.
Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What a week...sorry a bit long

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!  I'm sorry you're now a member of Club Unemployed.  ((((HUGS)))  I cannot believe you were informed by phone.  *sigh* 

Oh, thanks for the reminder about the grad party planning -- I knew there was something that had fallen off my radar.  LOL!  Oh well, at least I remembered to buy something to wear to graduation.  Baby steps, baby steps ...
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (((HUGS)))) to Sharon! Tough week, yes.

I was laid off from a job 7 years ago, after being there for 20 years. The difference was we were given 60 day notice (due to federal WARN requirements) and I also had a nice severance. But I had a job lined up because of the warning.

I'm glad you were able to get back all your wedding files. It sounds like you are taking a very positive approach to how you want to spend the next few months. That's good, because you don't want to feel totally down going into such an exciting time as your wedding!

My fiance and I purposely planned our wedding for this August, because my son is graduating with his masters this May from GWU in DC, and my daughter is graduating HS next summer.

Best of luck with the job search and wedding planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about the lay off. I am glad you got your files back.
  • edited December 2011
    Even if one is unhappy and is expecting it, it still isn't a good feeling.  So sorry.  Sounds like you have a positive outlook and also that these next few months will keep you busy with many happy occasions. 

Very glad that you were able to get all your files restored and you now have them in your possession. 

Good luck with the job search.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

• Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yikes on the lay-off!  Neat that they were able to restore your files.  I would have flipped.
  • fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you lost your job, but it does sound like in the long run it will be better for you, especially if you truly were unhappy there. Awesome they were able to get your files back, you're lucky! One time my ex was trying to reformat the hard drive, and reformatted the wrong one. He completely wiped out ALL of my schoolwork for the past 3 years, plus countless other things, including my 15 page essay final that I was working on for the biggest hard-ass professor I'd ever had (he was awesome, learned a great deal from him, but MAN was he tough!). LUCKILY that professor required us to type rough drafts and submit them, so I was able to ask him for a copy of my rough draft file so I could save most of my work. But everything else was gone. It really really stinks. But, like I said, you're a lucky duck! :D
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh gawd you had to remind me, of 18th birthday planning, prom and graduation... not to mention I think we have a wedding before that...

Sorry you are now joining me and Lisa... I hope for your sanity that something comes through before your cushion runs out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards