Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)

So, HTB's long time best friend doesn't support our relationship ( and verbally never has ) and has declined being best man. Their friendship is really rocky right now and while I want to be supportive and allow for my man to nuture his relationship..I'm really conflicted. The (ex)best friend and his fiance ( of 7 years) pubically disapprove of our union and have said some pretty nasty things about me, all of them untrue. Neither of them really gave me an honest try from the beginning. While for me, this is no big loss because it's been years and it doesn't really effect me or our life, now with the wedding...
Asking him to be best man was sort of a last ditch, and he said no. The fiance is super fake and catty and to make matters more complicated, our ceremony is going to be VERY tiny due to venue restrictions, and we're having a bigger party a few weeks later. The ceremony itself is for our closest friends and family, most of our family can't even come due to size. My closest friends aren't bringing their partners due to size. My FH feels if we don't invite both ex bf and the fiance it'll do permanent damage and he really wants to invite them to salvage whatever semblance of a friendship they might have. I told him I'd support him but I'm having serious second thoughts and a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my godparents won't be there but two people who are nasty and publicly hate me will. How can I reconcile this? Advice please!!!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)

• Options
    If they've said multiple times they don't support your marriage and he declined being BM because he didn't want to support it, I have a hard time believing they'll actually come even if they are invited.  However if it's important to your fiance you probably should invite them.
  • Options
    Where are you having your ceremony? I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want them there, but if it's important to FI, I would send the invite. Like PP said, they probably won't come anyhow.
  • Options
    Why on earth does your fiance want to salvage this relationship? FI and i would be having a serious talk if he were trying this hard to save a relationship with someone who treated me this badly and had for several years. And if someone treated my FI like this, our friendship would be over - no questions asked.
    I agree with PP that they likely won't even come but I just don't get why this is even still an issue.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:aa0c0483-2816-47c2-b730-cebd4e6e8982">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why on earth does your fiance want to salvage this relationship? FI and i would be having a serious talk if he were trying this hard to save a relationship with someone who treated me this badly and had for several years. And if someone treated my FI like this, our friendship would be over - no questions asked. I agree with PP that they likely won't even come but I just don't get why this is even still an issue.
    Posted by 8daysaweek[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I was thinking.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Believe me, I feel the same way, but it's complicated. They've known eachother for 20+ years, their families are super close, my FI has had very serious arguments/ discussions about respect and basically given an ultimatum that he needs to zip it or get out of our lives. So technically, he's done that. That's why FI feels like maybe he shouldn't write him off forever even though they'll never be close again:(

I feel like if we invite them they, or at least he, will come. Is it legit to just ignore him? OR both of them if they come?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not related to your actual question, but:

Why can't you pick a bigger ceremony venue and invite everybody?  And, are you hosting anything after the ceremony?  I think it's really weird to have a ceremony, send everybody home, then have a big reception a few weeks later.  If you are hosting something after your ceremony, that's your reception.

I think it would be one thing to have a tiny ceremony and then a big reception the same day.  I just don't understand the logic in having your reception several weeks after the ceremony for all of the guests who were even invited to the ceremony.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:3b1ca302-8af6-4c14-8df1-5275ef230acc">Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, HTB's long time best friend doesn't support our relationship ( and verbally never has ) and has declined being best man. Their friendship is really rocky right now and while I want to be supportive and allow for my man to nuture his relationship..I'm really conflicted. The (ex)best friend and his fiance ( of 7 years) pubically disapprove of our union and have said some pretty nasty things about me, all of them untrue. Neither of them really gave me an honest try from the beginning. While for me, this is no big loss because it's been years and it doesn't really effect me or our life, now with the wedding... Asking him to be best man was sort of a last ditch, and he said no. The fiance is super fake and catty and to make matters more complicated, our ceremony is going to be VERY tiny due to venue restrictions, and we're having a bigger party a few weeks later. The ceremony itself is for our closest friends and family, most of our family can't even come due to size. My closest friends aren't bringing their partners due to size. My FH feels if we don't invite both ex bf and the fiance it'll do permanent damage and he really wants to invite them to salvage whatever semblance of a friendship they might have. I told him I'd support him but I'm having serious second thoughts and a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my godparents won't be there but two people who are nasty and publicly hate me will. How can I reconcile this? Advice please!!!
    Posted by eadler[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Sorry, I should've explained better. We are having a small wedding and chose a small venue because we wanted a really small ceremony. After the ceremony we are having a small very formal reeption at the venue, and weeks later at his parents we're having a party for our extended family & friends. I guess I just keep calling it the reception for our party planning and it translated here..oops!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So, the second reception is where you invite all of the people who weren't important enough to make the cut for your actual ceremony and reception?  That's really gift grabby and inappropriate.

You chose to have an intimate ceremony and reception.  You don't get to have a second reception later on. 

By chance, are you wearing you wedding dress, having a first dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss, and other wedding related activities at the second reception?
  • Options
    No way! We certainly aren't expecting gifts and doing reception activities! The moms wanted us to have a big party with a slideshow and we're doing bbq ribs and stuff, it's much more casual. Our extended family and friends know that we love them and we aren't having a party to try to get gifts, Good Lord! I guess it's a little more accepted in my fam & friends to have a party with everybody if you have a small wedding.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:8c7bdb02-3449-4056-8121-3abb34bc8b13">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Believe me, I feel the same way, but it's complicated. They've known eachother for 20+ years, their families are super close, my FI has had very serious arguments/ discussions about respect and basically given an ultimatum that he needs to zip it or get out of our lives. So technically, he's done that. That's why FI feels like maybe he shouldn't write him off forever even though they'll never be close again:( I feel like if we invite them they, or at least he, will come. Is it legit to just ignore him? OR both of them if they come?
    Posted by eadler[/QUOTE]

Yeah, still doesn't make any sense to me. If someone treated my FI like that, repeatedly, for that long, for no reason, we'd be done with them .
    So let me put it this way: Why does FI have to keep bending over backwards to please this guy and have a relationship with him when his friend can't even suck it up and act like a civil adult to you?
    Sorry but if I were your FI I'd have cut them off a long time ago and if I were you, FI and I would be having a serious talk about it before I took a walk down the aisle.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:1633e1e1-3834-43ca-95de-6b4638653a3b">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long) : Yeah, still doesn't make any sense to me. If someone treated my FI like that, repeatedly, for that long, for no reason, we'd be done with them . So let me put it this way: Why does FI have to keep bending over backwards to please this guy and have a relationship with him when his friend can't even suck it up and act like a civil adult to you? Sorry but if I were your FI I'd have cut them off a long time ago and if I were you, FI and I would be having a serious talk about it before I took a walk down the aisle.
    Posted by 8daysaweek[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>I wouldn't suffer a friend who blatantly disrespected my husband - to his face - repeatedly, despite multiple demands by me for them to be more pleasant. If they can't respect ME enough to respect him, there is no place for them in my life. The end.</div>
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I was too quick to judge, I'm sorry.  You'd be surprised how many brides actually DO want to have a second reception, complete with the wedding dress and bouquet toss.  I think what you're doing sounds like a lot of fun.

I agree with PPs - I don't think you should invite the friend and the fiancee to your intimate ceremony.  There are probably plenty of other people you'd rather invite who actually like you and would enjoy themselves.  I'd still invite the friend and fiancee to the party later on, though.
  • Options
    honestly, i feel like the bigger issue here is talking with your fi about his bf's issue with you. you haven't said what/if there is a reason for him to so strongly dislike you, but it sounds as if the friend is completely out of line. as for your fi, you are going to be his wife and he should not be tolerating someone saying nasty things about you and creating all of that drama.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    So what did you do to make them hate you?
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd be asking myself if I really wanted to marry someone who let's his "good friends" talk sh*t about me and treat me like crap.  If he doesn't have your back with something as blatant as this - he won't have your back for other things. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:042f08c2-fa2a-4d9c-9ff1-dbb934e3b48b">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So what did you do to make them hate you?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

That's a little presumptious, don't you think?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:9739f883-eca0-4331-b043-b8e9d6c5df3e">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long) : That's a little presumptious, don't you think?
    Posted by luvdncn90[/QUOTE]
    No, I don't think it's presumptuous. Hating someone takes a lot of effort, it doesn't happen without rhyme or reason.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:f7bb7719-0827-4b49-abc8-740d6e7fdb7f">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long) : No, I don't think it's presumptuous. Hating someone takes a lot of effort, it doesn't happen without rhyme or reason.
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and was wondering the same thing.

Nobody treats people like that without some sort of valid reasoning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    282image Invited to celebrate!
    208image Will be Dancing the night away!
    74image Won't be having any fun
    0image are giving me a major headache

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-bf-fiance-hate-medo-invite-anyway-very-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e072b7d5-b3ab-4852-acef-867fccf6a5c9Post:f7bb7719-0827-4b49-abc8-740d6e7fdb7f">Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groom's BF and "fiance" hate me..do they get an invite anyway? (very long) : No, I don't think it's presumptuous. Hating someone takes a lot of effort, it doesn't happen without rhyme or reason.
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Does it matter? Sure OP could have done something like cheat to make the friend not like her  but if her FI has forgiven her and wants to marry her, it's certainly not friend's place to hold a grudge anymore and he needs to accept his friend's decision.

The only thing I can think of where friend would have a place in objecting still is if it's an abusive relationship and itf it is, well, shame on you OP, but friend is doing exactly what an abuser would want by alienating his friend.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
  • Options
    Yes, to me, it matters in my answer.  If it didn't, I wouldn't have asked :)
  • Options
    What did I do? Well I guess the reason he doesn't like me is that he felt orginally like it was too soon for both of us coming out of previous relationships to get together. We  wondered the same thing and were really slow and careful..and it obviously was the right thing. Other than too soon I've heard him say that I'm too dramatic and that I'm not cultured and don't speak any second languages. ( I'm not kidding ) The fact is that it's not about me. It can't be with this poor reasoning!! I think it''s more about territory or some weird claim he feels he has on my FI. Fi has def stood up for me and himself, and ex bf has supposedly gotten on board, or at least kept his feelings to himself for a while now. We feel like we need a conversation or an apology before the big day before we can feel ok with him being there. It's tough bc I want to end the drama and be supportive, but if it was me I would've been done a long time ago. FI is pretty much done too but has to go through it on his own time. We'll see what happens!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I am in a similar situation.  Before the questions are asked, FI best friend doesn't like me because I am not FI ex-wife.  I had nothing to do with their divorce, she cheated, but I am simply not her and he was good friends (still is I think) with her. 

My FI BF never gave me a chance from day one.  My FI asked him to be his best man and he did accept.  Since then I have gotten a half apology which I accepted as it's as good as it gets and we are moving on.  But I feel for you.  It was horribly hurtful and I am not sure it's really better, but we called a truce.  I hope you can do the same thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you:) It's hard. No girl grows up thinking...I'm going to meet the guy of my dreams, we'll fall in love, get married..and his friend will hate me! It's been hard, thanks for the support.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this,  :(

I would say not to invite them to the ceremony, since it's small, and there are probably more important people you could have their in their place. If your fiance and his ex BFF are really trying to make amends, and he seems like he is genuinely trying to give you a chance, I'd say invote them to the party later on...

BUT, if he's still being a douche, I'd say don't invite. They sounds like they are being immature, and Catty...not liking someone because you don't speak to langauges, is really a douchbag thing to do. Not everyone speaks 2 or more languages! That doesn't make you less smart, or less sophisticated as other people.
    Mr. and Mrs. Sharkdiver!
  • Options
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I personally, would not inivite them to anything. But if it was really important to my FI that they be involved in some way, I would negotiate invitng them to the latter party only. To me, to be a witness our wedding is an honor to us of course, but a privelege to our guests, not a right. Their attendance means they respect and support our relationship and each of us individually, so if they don't, I believe it is inapporpriate for them to attend, no matter who they are. I'm not trying to sound self-rightous or anything - I feel all weddings should be that way. My FI feels the same way, which is why we only invited our the closest friends and family, who do completely support us in those ways. My own father may not even attend because he's stubborn and set in his old ways (we are an interracial couple and my dad still hasn't quite wrapped his head around that, so he's never even given my FI a real chance), but I am ok with that. My parents divorced years ago any way, so it doens't cut as deeply now as it probably would have then. Anyway, I digress - my apologies. It's important to have poeple there that care about you. Weddings should not be reduced to politics, nor should they be the means to mend broken relationships. If your FI would like to med their relationship, should either do it beforehand or afterwards and not use your wedding as a medium. That's my humble opinion.
    So happy to be married to my best friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards