Favors

Masquerade/opera theme favors?

I am trying to think of ways to incorporate a subtle masquerade/opera theme into our reception. I am a local actress/opera singer, and the colors are red and black and my concept is, at best an "outdoor opera ball" feel. Formal and dramatic, but not stuffy. But I don't want to go all out THEME. (as in, I don't want to become OPERA BRIDE and David Tutera will have to come rescue me.)

In any case, it's been a doozy coming up with creative ideas that aren't trite or predictable and more importantly fit the theme. I'm thinking about masquerade masks for wedding favors. Partly as an homage to these Mexican masks that Groom and his friends have and wear at all important events (it's a brotherhood thing).

Soooo... masks? Would that be fun? Original? I've heard of people having "costume trees" at weddings with accessories and such to lighten up the dance floor. While I think that is a fun idea, it's a little too cutesy for me. I'd even wouldn't mind special ones for the bride and groom.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Masquerade/opera theme favors?

• edited December 2011
    i totally considered this theme, my fiance and I were going to do chocalate masks or mask shaped cookies. you could also put inexpensive mardi gras style masks as table decorations, maybe maybe masks on sticks? they look gorgeous and you never know some of your guests might try them on.
  • edited December 2011
    This wedding was in Venice and they gave out miniature Ventian masquerade masks as favors.  I'm sure they were crazy $$$ but it may serve as some inspiration.  I also like how they used feathers at each plate:

http://myitalianwedding.co.uk/masquerade-wedding-in-venice/

I have also seen some centerpieces with masks and feathers.  Good luck!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    If you're looking for something a little more subtle for favors, you could always replace candy bar wrappers with sheet music. I don't know if you're looking for something edible, but It might be a nice effect.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could get the masks after halloween on sale and then maybe do a little DIY on them with paint, feathers or jewels. I bet you would have some fun pictures too once people put them on. Maybe get white ones and use a metallic spray paint in your colors?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I like the sheet music idea! Very cool!!
  • ki10ki10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love a good mask. I think having a photobooth with masks, etc.,  for people to try on and goof off with would be great, and then somehow indicate they can take them home. It's the sort of favor I'd love to receive and want to keep somewhere special, but ultimately it would end up in a drawer somewhere, which is worth considering. Sheet music paper, or favor boxes, would be ridiculously adorable, as would anything with a musical hint like treble clef cookies. These might be hard to figure out, but I would just squee with cuteness for a little fake/edible lorgnette.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the masks idea!  I'd just make sure they're the cheaper ones, in case people end up just leaving them or tossing th;em.  I'm sure you'll end up with some fun pictures of the masks too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards