Wisconsin
Options

2 Year engagement, but having an engagement party. Should we register?

I need opinions.... I won't be getting married until August 2013, but my parents are having an engagement party for us this summer.  One of my bridesmaids has suggested that I register for a few items in case anyone wants to purchase gifts for the upcoming party.  We will be writing "No gifts necessary" on the invites, so I didn't think it would be needed.  I know that any items we register for now will not be around by the time of the wedding, but should we just get a registry started for the engagement party?

Re: 2 Year engagement, but having an engagement party. Should we register?

• Options
    msteph82msteph82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WAIT!

Store inventory will change a LOT from now until your showers/wedding.  Registering for an engagement party seems gift grabby to me.

Congrats on your engagement!  How exciting!
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    imageimageimage
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am only have a 2 year engagement, but we are not having an engagement party. Since we have a pretty strict budget for the wedding, a engagement party wasn't in our plans. 
    Happy planning! Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a guest I wouldn't even think to bring a gift to an engagement party (not that I have ever been invited to one). I'd probably just bring you a card and MAYBE put cash in it. IDK, is it customary to bring a gift for such an event?

IMO, I wouldn't register. If they want to give you something, so be it.
  • Options
    Lyra1020Lyra1020 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard it's tacky to expect gifts to an engagement party. My stepsister had an engagement party, and I bought her a DIY book, but there were very few gifts. 
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No need to register.  A couple of our friends hosted an e-party for us.  We got a floral arrangement (it was the centerpiece), a couple bottles of wine, a few cards, a lot of well wishes, and a wonderful evening with friends.  More than I could have asked for!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would wait as well.....but its up to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I will be going with my original gut feeling of waiting to register! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards