Hawaii

Newbie to the boards! This Oahu bride needs your help!

Aloha my fellow Hawaii brides! While I'm technically not "just engaged" (my fiance and I have been engaged for nearly 5 months now) we're FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our planning. After going back and forth between having it on the mainland vs. Oahu....we decided to stay with our "theme" of our engagement and get married in Hawaii!! A lil background on our engagement - he surprised me when I was helping coordinate a friend's wedding back in May. We both LOVE Disney and worked with my friend to bring me to Aulani for breakfast but little did I know that he would be waiting for me on the balcony!! Such an amazing day!

Anyway, am researching for venues and so far have gotten some pricing from the following places:
* JW Marriott Ihilani
* Lanikuhonua
* Sunset Ranch
* Halekulani
* Loulu Estate
* Mid-Pacific Country Club
* Haiku Gardens
* The Modern Honolulu (still waiting)
* Kualoa Ranch (still waiting)

All of these places are BEAUTIFUL but we are on a serious budget. I'm shooting for $20K on everything for 100 people. Is this even possible?! I'm hoping you all might be able to drop some legit knowledge to help me out and save some money! Even if it's a savings of $5, $10..I'll take it! I'd appreciate it so much!

Mahalo plenty in advance to everyone who either reads this/can provide some info! You all rock my socks!

Re: Newbie to the boards! This Oahu bride needs your help!

• Congrats!

I wish I could help you more, but I'm getting married in Maui. 

I'm sure there will be other ladies who can give you advice.  I can tell you that getting married in Hawaii is expensive overall.  My wedding is costing around $17K for 40 people- BUT we chose a very expensive venue, and I didn't cut as many corners as I thought I would. 

I think if you really do your homework and cut corners, you can make your budget work.  Maybe do your own flowers, cut back on pricey centerpieces etc.  Do as much DIY as possible.

Good luck and have fun planning!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_newbie-to-the-boards-this-oahu-bride-needs-your-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:2393cf19-03af-49cb-a192-03791e345d67Post:3153eb69-7bd9-4967-bf32-0ccd6dadbce9">Newbie to the boards! This Oahu bride needs your help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aloha my fellow Hawaii brides! While I'm technically not "just engaged" (my fiance and I have been engaged for nearly 5 months now) we're FINALLY getting the ball rolling on our planning. After going back and forth between having it on the mainland vs. Oahu....we decided to stay with our "theme" of our engagement and get married in Hawaii!! A lil background on our engagement - he surprised me when I was helping coordinate a friend's wedding back in May. We both LOVE Disney and worked with my friend to bring me to Aulani for breakfast but little did I know that he would be waiting for me on the balcony!! Such an amazing day! Anyway, am researching for venues and so far have gotten some pricing from the following places: * JW Marriott Ihilani * Lanikuhonua * Sunset Ranch * Halekulani * Loulu Estate * Mid-Pacific Country Club * Haiku Gardens * The Modern Honolulu (still waiting) * Kualoa Ranch (still waiting) All of these places are BEAUTIFUL but we are on a serious budget. I'm shooting for $20K on everything for 100 people. Is this even possible?! I'm hoping you all might be able to drop some legit knowledge to help me out and save some money! Even if it's a savings of $5, $10..I'll take it! I'd appreciate it so much! Mahalo plenty in advance to everyone who either reads this/can provide some info! You all rock my socks!
    Posted by shannac831[/QUOTE]
  • AJ913AJ913 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    20K for 100 in Hawaii might be tough, since things can really add up fast.  That's not saying it's impossible.  Agree with steph, do as much DIY as you can, like flowers and decor. Weekday weddings might be cheaper, try asking for discounts.  Keep googling deals (there's always things like groupon/living social for Vistaprint for STDs or invites.  I've even seen deals for things like photography/DJ services).  Do research to see what vendors are in your budget.  Figure out what matters most to you, then cut back on everything else (skip wedding favors or videography?  Cut back on alcohol or not hire a bartender?  Do Ipod instead of DJ?).  .

Happy planning and congrats Smile
  • edited October 2012
    I think the way to save money on weddings in Hawaii is exactly the same as in other locations, so you should also check out the Budget weddings forum and the DIY sections of theKnot.  Otherwise:

1.  Set your budget and stick to it
    2.  Decide on the things most important to you and ensure you can afford them.  Everything else is icing on the cake.
    3.  Be realistic on what you need, and not just what you think is important.

I actually don't love the idea of DIY centerpieces for 100 people.  That's 10-12 tables, and if you're doing flowers, it's a lot of time, labor, storage, and stress.  I might consider whether you need flowers at all (which get very expensive), versus maybe a cluster of pineapples or something more affordable.

For things like hair and makeup - considering going to a salon near you rather than having them come to your bridal suite.  You'll save on travel charges (up to $50!) and potentially get better rates.

Skip things that aren't necessary and rarely appreciated, like favors, in lieu of things that are highly appreciated, like a bag of snacks & water when you check into the group hotel.

Based on your list of venues, I would suggest considering a hotel ceremony & reception versus another venue.  Venues require you to pay for every vendor -- chairs, tables, glassware, bartender, servers, etc in addition to the food & catering.  At the hotel, once you book a banquet, the room + chairs + plates are all taken care of for you, and the ceremony cost itself is often minimal if you have a large banquet planned.

Also, it depends if your $20k budget includes things like your dress, hair/makeup, and travel/hotel.  If so, your budget shrinks pretty quickly!
  • Such great advice! Thank you guys so much! Yes, am planning on a lot of DIY and am mainly concerned about the cost for venue and F&B. Thanks also for pointing me torwards the DIY boards! I'm still trying to navigate myself through the website so tips like those are golden!

I really appreciate your well wishes and knowledge!! Thanks again so much!
  • Congratulations!<div>
    </div><div>Halekulani and Kualoa Ranch may be your best options due to lower minimums at Halekulani and lower site fee at Kualoa Ranch.  Don't know about the Country Club, haven't heard of anyone having their wedding there.     Our WC saved us money in alot of areas, including decor (vases, candles, frames, cupcake stand, etc. that we didn't have to buy or rent)</div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_newbie-to-the-boards-this-oahu-bride-needs-your-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:2393cf19-03af-49cb-a192-03791e345d67Post:443f8e20-122e-44f4-9424-519a4e8bdf8b">Re: Newbie to the boards! This Oahu bride needs your help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Such great advice! Thank you guys so much! Yes, am planning on a lot of DIY and am mainly concerned about the cost for venue and F&B. Thanks also for pointing me torwards the DIY boards! I'm still trying to navigate myself through the website so tips like those are golden! I really appreciate your well wishes and knowledge!! Thanks again so much!
    Posted by shannac831[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • I am new to the wedding planning but I am getting married in Oahu and plan on a $18,000 budget. I plan on saving on things like officiants (brother is doing it) and hair & make up (cousins will do that) and photographer (cousin is a photographer). I am also saving money by having a mid-week morning ceremony (literally everyone is flying in so no one is working on a wednesday anyway). My FI is going to be in charge of playlists and we will just to a iPod for music. I am spending most of the money on venue and food & beverage. I am not going over board with flowes and decor due to the fact that the venue is so beautiful by itself. I don't want to detract from that. I understand that you may not have family who can do hair or make up but maybe things about creative ways your family can help save money by using their talents.

I still think $18,000 for one day is too much, but I guess YOLO so might as well buy in...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards