Second Weddings

Intro, rant on exes and a few questions, moslty a rant (long)

I just have to get it out...

So this is the second marriage for both of us.  My first wedding was very small and very cheap because I didn't really want to get married in the first place, it lasted a little over two years, but when we moved 1300 miles and his girlfriend followed us, I finally had enough.  My Fi's first wedding was big, but his marriage lasted a little over a year before things fell apart for them.  I have two kids with my "practice" husband (joke from one of my coworkers). He very fortunately doesn't have kids from his first (she's a total nut job).

Since even as I was marrying my ex I was dreaming of escaping and finding someone I really loved, I had a small wedding (about equivalent to a trip to the court house).  I always wanted a big wedding though with all of my friends and family there to celebrate with me, and now that I've found the most wonderful man, I want to share it with a big wedding.  He already had a big wedding, but he's ok with another big one.

Ok, so here comes the questions with the rant.  First my ex, he was very manipulative and when we were getting divorced he blamed it all on me.  He told my daughter that it was my fault, that he still loved me and that I didn't love him anymore and I hurt him.  She was six so that turned her against me cause I was hurting her dad. I couldn't tell her all the ways that he had hurt me and why I was doing this, one day she will figure it out for herself or ask at an age when I can tell her.  My relationship with my older daughter was already strained because he used to let his mom take her for weeks at a time when she was a toddler, completely against my will, but if you've ever been in an emotionally abusive relationship, you can understand how hard it is to stand up for yourself. (side note, leaving him is still one of my proudest moments). I digress...while I dated a little bit before I met my FI, I only ever introduced the girls to him.  My ex has had a steady stream of girlfriends that last about a month or two, figure him out and leave.  He introduces them all to my girls, gets them involved and then they disappear and lies to the girls about who they are and his relationship with them.  He even moved one girlfriend in after dating for about two weeks.

My FI and I took it very slow, it was a long distance relationship, but I only brought him into the girls life when I knew it was serious. He is wonderful with them, and they both really like him.  But dad is ticked that I found my self confidence after we divorced, found an awesome guy who is better looking, better employed and what's really important to me, a  better man who I'm head over heals for.  So he's been trying to turn the kids against us.  My oldest loves my FI until she comes back from her dad's house. She wanted to be the ring bearer and was super excited about that until her dad and grandmother tried to convince her she shouldn't be in the wedding. My ex won't even talk to my FI, even after my oldest asked him if they could get to know each other, because that would make her feel better about liking my FI. It really comes down to she doesn't want to hurt her dad.  So I'm really looking for any advice on manipulative exes and kids.

Second issue, his first marriage.  I'm planning this huge event but I'm feeling like his whole family will be comparing this to his first wedding (it's a huge family). It started when I started making suggestions like, "maybe we should do cupcakes" and he said absolutely not.  Come to find out, cupcakes were his ex's thing.  Same thing when I picked my colors, I wanted green and purple and she also had green. AGGGHHHH.  Now I expect that there will be some similarities between us, after all most guys have a bit of a type.  I certainly do, in fact my FI and my ex are the same height, build and hair color LOL. But I'm also very different.  To start off, I'm not mean, I'm not a narcissist and I'm way more creative LOL (I'll get to that rant). When she found out that he was seeing me (even though they were split) she called and asked if I knew he was married to which I replied I knew he was getting divorced.  She told me that we looked alike (we both have brown hair, similarities stop there), but I was skinnier (yep by about 50 lbs).  That might be because I'm a competitive cyclist and the only thing she rides is the couch and a bar stool.  Part of the reason that my FI and I get along so well is that we met doing something we are passionate about and we share a lot of the same interests, willing to try the ones that we don't and have the same value system.  But I'm getting off the subject again.  The similarities we do share is that I'm a craftaholic and she kinda is.  Other than that I can't think of any shared interests.

So after being shut down and worrying about bringing up memories with my FI I decided to run things by his sister before committing to anything. I think she got sick of that so I figured I better just look for myself and asked FI for the wedding pictures which he shrugged and handed over (I really wish he had told me no).  But it seems a good bit of what I want to do, she did! Even some of the ceremony wording, which we both found online, is very similar.  I've been driving myself insane checking the photos to make sure it wasn't done before.  Looking at pics of the person you love kissing someone else is completely unhealthy. So here's the question, at what point do you draw the line of "she did it but I'm doing it anyway."  If everyone that was there for the first one wasn't going to be here for the second one I wouldn't worry so much, but I'm still very insecure (baggage from marriage #1) and so worried that I'm going to be compared to her and they might think that I'm like her (I haven't met most of his extended family). Turns out his whole family despised her and I'm afraid they will jump to conclusions about me.  Not sure why I'm so concerned about that but I am, maybe because his family is so important to him. Do I just go with what I want and risk that I may get my heart set on something that will bring up bad memories, or do I keep torturing myself making sure she didn't do it?

She was a complete princess who thanked his parents for paying for their wedding (she had been disowned by hers) by telling the bartender to make sure they go so drunk that they made complete a**es of themselves, both rude and extremely dangerous for his father who had a kidney transplant. Funny thing is that our budgets are the same, but I think that ours will be more inspired for the same price. She might have been into crafts, but lacked any creativity. Her wedding looked like Toucan Sam threw up. For as much money as she spent, it was really cheap looking, like dollar store cheap.  I'm convinced she pocketed a lot of the money.  Also she has man hands and looks like a chipmunk. Ok I'm done for now. I'll probably post a couple more times until I can get it all out....feels good to purge a little bit and I don't want to talk about it to my friends or family, but I need to get it all out :)

Re: Intro, rant on exes and a few questions, moslty a rant (long)

• Cliff notes for others:
    Both married before.  Her ex talked smack about her to the kids. 

Planning wedding, FSIL doesn't want to hear anymore--OP is worried she's repeating things from prior weddings.  FI's ex has man hands (WTF does that have to with anything?) and is a "princess."  

(Other ladies, you may thank me now for the synopsis.)

OP--first, many of us here, and you as well, are the ex-wife, too.  I'm sure our ex-h's girlfriends speak the same way about us that you do about them.  Let's all just stop that nonsense right now.  Obviously your FI saw something in that woman at one time.  You need to learn to respect the feelings he had at a different time of his life and move on.  

By trying to search through photos and trying not to repeat anything, you are, in fact, making this all about her.  Just do what the two of YOU want.  If you had daisies and roses, and ferns, and she had violets, and lillies and ferns, who cares?  No one will remember that anyway.  Do you seriously remember all the details from each and every wedding you've been to?  Just make it special and meaningful to you, as a couple, and forget the rest.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Thanks,

FSIL has only been asked a couple of times, but I got the vibe that she didn't want to talk about it.  If I ask FMIL she goes on a two hour rant about how awful she was, she wants to get it out too, but it only increases bad feelings so I avoid talking to her about it.

It wasn't so much decorations, even though I'm a little (ok, a lot) catty about hers, but big things that I'm afraid will bring up bad feelings.  Themes, etc.

More than anything I just needed to get it out to someone.  I don't want to discuss it with friends or family but it was starting to build up.

I've always said, everyone's ex is crazy....unless you are the ex ;) I've known my ex's last couple GFs.  I was sad to see one go and very happy to see the other two...total nut jobs.   I have my issues with my ex and his personality, but I don't wish bad upon him.  He is after all my children's dad. Might not be father of the year, should learn to keep his mouth closed around his kids, but other than that he does ok.

"man hands" was just being snarky.  Well a lot of it was just being snarky.  I'm telling you those things are huge though. And yeah, she's certifiable, restraining order ends in June, hoping two years was enough for her to move on. I've heard she has a really nice sugar daddy now, so hopefully that has happened.  I would like to tell her to please give back some of his personal effects, such as the cross he received for first communion but I know better. Still irks me that she took all of his personal belongings and refused to give any of it back. But she made sure to leave him the wedding album.  Ah, hell hath no wrath like a woman scorned right?

• <---has man hands

handfast - thanks for the cliff notes, I gave up. 

OP - for the kids- counseling and permission to love everyone

For you- relax and plan the wedding you both want.  No one else is excited about it like you are.  It's ok like that.  ~Donna
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_intro-rant-on-exes-and-a-few-questions-moslty-a-rant-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:ec441dde-553d-4b1a-a01e-df2f3da75346Post:16756cdf-f10f-4fd2-a23a-167d31d3f929">Re: Intro, rant on exes and a few questions, moslty a rant (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cliff notes for others: Both married before.  Her ex talked smack about her to the kids.  Planning wedding, FSIL doesn't want to hear anymore--OP is worried she's repeating things from prior weddings.  FI's ex has man hands (WTF does that have to with anything?) and is a "princess."   <strong><font color="#0000ff">(Other ladies, you may thank me now for the synopsis.)</font></strong> OP--first, many of us here, and you as well, are the ex-wife, too.  I'm sure our ex-h's girlfriends speak the same way about us that you do about them.  Let's all just stop that nonsense right now.  Obviously your FI saw something in that woman at one time.  You need to learn to respect the feelings he had  at a different time of his life and move on .    By trying to search through photos and trying not to repeat anything, you are, in fact, making this all about her.  Just do what the two of YOU want.  If you had daisies and roses, and ferns, and she had violets, and lillies and ferns, who cares?  No one will remember that anyway.  Do you seriously remember all the details from each and every wedding you've been to?  Just make it special and meaningful to you, as a couple, and forget the rest.
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the synopsis. Bless you for that!

OP ... I agree with everything handfast told you.  Do what will make this a special celebration for you, as a couple. 
  • Thanks for the synopsis, my eyes were beginning to cross.  No, really, the were actually beginning to cross.

Why are you looking at his old wedding pics?  That is so unhealthy!  Stop worrying about her and tell your FI to stop worrying about her and what she did.  There are a million shades of green, just pick one you like and keep it moving.

Get the kids therapy, and yourself too.  I've been through abuse too, you all need it, and I say that as someone who had to have it too.  You are making yourself crazy for no reason.  Anyone who thinks you're the same as his ex because you like the same color is someone whose opinion you shouldn't value anyway!
  • Yes, thank you for the synopsis.  That was definitely a tl:dr (too long, didn't read).  I also didn't see a question in there anywhere, so I'm guessing this was just a rant.  Rants are good, in my opinion, as long as they don't have a way of coming back to the rantee or aren't specific enough that anyone might get hurt.  Everyone needs to release some steam.

OP - This is your and your FI's wedding...and has little of nothing to do with either your ex or his.  Have the wedding you both want as if neither of them existed.  Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards