Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Wedding Registry Etiquette Help!

My fiance and I are getting married in my hometown, a great distance from where we are currently living.  We would like to encourage our guests to send any gifts to our home address instead of bringing them to the wedding/reception.  Any suggestions of how to tactfully convey this message?

Re: Wedding Registry Etiquette Help!

• Options
    You can't really recommend it in a polite way.  If you want your bridesmaids or parents to spread that news, it's okay if they vocalize it. 

Have your home address on file  for the registry and that way any presents bought from the registry online will be shipped to your home. 
  • Options
    We were married in FL but live in CA.  My guests either shipped the gifts to our hose in CA before the wedding for gave us a cash gift at the reception.  I think your guests will get the hint.  There were a few that brought gifts to the reception and we shipped them home.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Your guests aren't stupid - most will ship gifts ahead of time or give cash. 

However, if people do give you boxed gifts at the wedding, it is up to you and your husband to get them home.
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    I had a shower in michigan and live in Kansas City and A LOT of women brought gifts.  Fortunately, BBB allows you to return them at one store and get a store credit to buy them back at another store, or even ship them to your house for FREE if they don't have them at your home store.  Be careful if you do that though, they try to take the 20% off coupon (if the purchaser used them) OFF of your credit, which isn't fair unless you have several 20% coupons to use when you buy the gifts back at your home store.
  • Options
    Post a link to your wedding website and put something like... "If you would like to send your gift to the couple you can ship it to... (address)"  My friend did this and I got the clue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i would just ask your mom and bridesmaids to spread the word...personally i never show up to a wedding with a box regardless of where the couple lives i either send them something ahead of time to their house or give a card with money...even if you are local its difficult the shlep gifts around
  • Options
    LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    It's proper etiquette to mail gifts to the couple at their home anyway...usually stores will ask if you'd like your gift delivered (at least, they've always asked me!)

I got 2 physical gifts brought to the wedding itself. Everyone else shipped stuff ahead of time or got us money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards