Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

DIY Makeup Must Haves

I'm considering doing my own makeup for a couple of reasons. I know there are already lists of great products, but I'm wondering what your *must-haves* are. What do you think is absolutely worth splurging on? What are your top priority products (whether generally or specifically by brand)? What products are okay to buy at the drug store? 

Re: DIY Makeup Must Haves

• Options
    I'd say for me, lashes (mascara and fake lashes) and lips can be drug store. The rest I would splurge on. 

I'm a huge fan of the YSL and Stila cream blushes. I have super dry skin, and they're life savers. 

I'm really liking my Lorac eye primer right now. 

I've only tried a sample, but I really like the Lancome primer. I might get that or the no 9 (I think?) Hourglass primer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Eye primer is a must (daily AND for special occasions, but especially for special occasions).  I'm a big fan of Urban Decay's Primer Potion, which is what I'm currently using, but I've also tried a sample of Two Faced's eye primer and that was good stuff too.

While I almost exclusively use higher end eye shadows and liners (specifically Stila, Urban Decay, and Bare Minerals), I find that even the cheapest shadows will last all day long with a good primer.  I prefer the higher end ones because they are more blendable and more highly pigmented, in my experience.  I think splurging on a good shadow palette that is something you can use for your wedding day and after is a good choice.  I'm currently really digging the Stila In the Light palette.  It also comes with a "look book" that shows you how to create 6 different looks.  They range from very natural, perfect for work to very dramatic.

I also think that higher end foundations are worth the splurge.  I love Make Up Forever's HD invisible cover foundation.  I don't bother with a separate concealer.  I just use the foundation with a shadow brush for blemishes and dark spots, and a concealer brush for under eye.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    To echo the previous post, eye primer is a great tool to prevent creasing. That is a "must-have" in my everyday makeup collection. I recently bought a Stila eyeshadow palette, and it had some sample eye designs with instructions. The Stila eyeliner glides on a little too smoothly for my taste (it makes it too difficult to get a straight line), but the eye shadows are really good. I think this is the one I bought: http://www.sephora.com/in-the-light-palette-P291218?skuId=1346667

Since it's for your wedding day, I'd aim to get the higher end make-up products because it'll be seen in photos/video for many years to come. Also, the make-up will last you for your honeymoon, etc., so it's not like it's a one-time use type of deal.

Good quality eye shadows will be less dusty, and have more finely milled glitter (instead of chunky glitter).

Another thing I'd splurge on- lipstick or lipgloss.Your lips and eyes will be the focal points of your face, so I'd spend more money on that, and less on other things, like blush or a fancy highliter.

Things I'd pick up at the drug store: Make up sponges, q-tips, chapstick, vaseline, make-up remover, make up brushes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_diy-makeup-must-haves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:f424a606-33c4-4f8e-9dbb-8832df0c9c82Post:433dd75b-6b4c-4300-81aa-79083a82315c">Re: DIY Makeup Must Haves</a>:
    [QUOTE] I also think that higher end foundations are worth the splurge.  I love Make Up Forever's HD invisible cover foundation.  I don't bother with a separate concealer.  I just use the foundation with a shadow brush for blemishes and dark spots, and a concealer brush for under eye.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Ditto this!
    I LOVE my MUF HD Foundation. I wore it on my wedding day, and every other day for that matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards