New York-Western

tipping??

Hi Ladies,

My wedding day is fast approaching (Friday..eek!) and the FI and I are unsure as to the ettiquete for tipping. I know there's no hard and fast rule but I just wanted to get some local opinions. Here are the details of our wedding.

-Ceremony & reception at the Woodcliff Hotel (20% gratuity included) - Should we tip bartenders or our consultant? I'm definitely not tipping wait staff. The whole thing will last 6 hours, including ceremony and reception.
-Photographer owns her own business but there will be a second shooter. Tip both?
-DJ - Whirlin Disc DJs.  We actually have the owner, Jeff, doing our wedding. Do we tip him since he's the owner?
-Flower delivery tips?
-Officiant tip? (our ceremony will be about 20 mins).

Any suggestions??

Re: tipping??

• cutypy0516cutypy0516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rule of thumb is you do not tip owners of the company.  Bartenders usually have a tip jar out while serving, so I would probably say no to them as well.  If your coordinator did an excellent job, then you may.  Is the officiant part of a church or organization?  Making a donation them that may be better than a tip.  Or maybe a nice gift like an edible arrangement or restaurant gift card. I think tipping would be okay too, but other options are okay as well.  I'm not sure about flower delivery.  The woman that delivered mine was the owner.  It's always nice to send vendors a thank you card after the wedding.
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the amount of moments that take you breath away. - Anon
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:e5dc30fc-ab11-4aae-92e6-a93795e056b4Post:da32dec0-ae80-46ef-88a8-b6b121311f89">tipping??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, My wedding day is fast approaching (Friday..eek!) and the FI and I are unsure as to the ettiquete for tipping. I know there's no hard and fast rule but I just wanted to get some local opinions. Here are the details of our wedding. -Ceremony & reception at the Woodcliff Hotel (20% gratuity included) - Should we tip bartenders or our consultant?  <font color="#ff0000">I would say no. I am assuming the wedding consultant came with the woodcliff. He or she gets paid very well with the money you are already giving them. </font>

I'm definitely not tipping wait staff. The whole thing will last 6 hours, including ceremony and reception. -Photographer owns her own business but there will be a second shooter. Tip both? <font color="#ff0000">You should probably tip the second shooter. You don't have to tip the owner unless you really want. Personal choice. </font>
     -DJ - Whirlin Disc DJs.  We actually have the owner, Jeff, doing our wedding. Do we tip him since he's the owner? <font color="#ff0000">Same as photographer you don't have to but you can. </font>
    -Flower delivery tips? <font color="#ff0000">I didn't tip the flower people. Actually I never saw flower people they dropped flower off when I was at salon and at the church when I was at the house. They charge you for delivery anyways that is there tip.</font>  -Officiate tip? (our ceremony will be about 20 mins). Any suggestions?? <font color="#ff0000">I did tip officant and organist. They gave up their Sat to be at my wedding. They do get paid but without them I wouldn't be married.
    </font>
    Here is a website I found handy.

<a href="http://www.brides.com/wedding-answers-tools/wedding-vendors/2010/12/how-to-tip-wedding-vendors-who-to-tip">http://www.brides.com/wedding-answers-tools/wedding-vendors/2010/12/how-to-tip-wedding-vendors-who-to-tip</a>

Also here is what we did for tips:

Bus Driver (Drunk Bus): $100
    Limo Driver: $50
    Photographer 1: $75
    Photographer 2: $50
    Officiate: $50
    Organist: $25
    Hair/Makeup/Nails: $10/$10/$15
    DJ: $50

Also I had my dad handle all the money, he made sure everyone got the tips they were suppose and made any final payments to those you had to pay that day. I also gave him a separate envelope with extra cash, like $300 in case I forgot something or I wanted to tip someone else. we ended up giving the bus driver some extra coin that night. Originally see was to get $75. O and the maid for your honeymoon sweet because she was really sweet and did a great job.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • edited December 2011
    Good luck this weekend!! Best wishes! :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    "Should we tip bartenders or our consultant?  I would say no. I am assuming the wedding consultant came with the woodcliff. He or she gets paid very well with the money you are already giving them."

It depends on what Woodcliff does.  Our venue includes an 18% gratuity that is split between the wait staff and the bartenders.  Their coordinator doesn't get anything extra unless we tip him separately.  I would ask the venue where the gratuity goes and tip anybody that isn't included.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards