Latino Weddings
Options

Children & Wedding

Hello gals,

As everyone knows, Latin families can have a lot of kids.  My fiance and I are paying for the wedding.  Our ceremony venue charges everything per person.  I don't have any children on my guest list and there are only a few kids on my family.  But, my fiancée has 20 children on his guest list.  I've been to my fiances family reunions and the children get pretty wild.  I don't want to witness children running around back and forth in my wedding.  My fiancée says that his family  might get offended and not go, if we specify no children allowed. I would only allow children participating in the wedding party. 

Fyi, one of my fiancee's aunt already told me that her kid would behave good..

My sister got married last year, she had a babysister at the wedding venue, but none of the children wanted to be with babysitter. There was a total of 3 kids in her wedding, and they were running around.  This did not look good.

I'm thinking of having a babysitter at one of my fiancee's family member's place.  So, that everybody can take their kids there before showing up to wedding. 

How are ya'll dealing with this?  Since, hispanics get easily offended about wedding and children, some don't even watch their kids.  Some don't know how expensive weddings can be.  I'm not hating, since, I'm Salvadoran.  Please help.

Re: Children & Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011

If you think about it you wont even notice them running around wild once you're having a really good time. There are some precautions though. For example we are having well over 200 guests and that means there will be A LOT of children. We are not having the wedding cake out for display because I don't want little kids poking at it. It's an ice cream cake anyways so it can't be out too long. =) It's not like you need to be running after the kids anyways.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It never really occurred to us not to have kids, although I understand the cost concern (keep in mind that most caterers provide less expensive kids meals, and they won't be drinking alcohol, so that should keep costs down a little).  That said, four of the last five weddings I went to in Mexico were adult only or only included the children of people who had flown from the U.S.  The key, I think, is that they all started after 9 p.m.  What time is your wedding?

To be honest, if your wedding is during the day, I would just let them come.  As much as I understand the concern about money, it is going to get you off to a bad start with your in-laws and an off-site babysitter is not going to help salvage that at all.  And 20 kids really isn't all that many--we will have 40, not including the babies and toddlers.  I'm just going to roll with it.

• Options
    OMAR1DEBOMAR1DEB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    20 doesnt sound too bad! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only kids we're allowing are the ones in the wedding party and first cousins.  We're paying for the entire wedding ourselves and if we allowed everyone to bring their kids our guest list would have had an extra 70 or so people on it.  No way in hell that was going to happen.

With just the kids in the wedding party and first cousins, it's about 10 kids under the age of 16.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want children running around at your wedding, then don't have any children period. It's what you want and your relatives are going to have to understand that, even if some do get offended and choose not to come. Those who care about you, will do whatever they can to be there to share your special day.

I'm not having any children at my wedding and I'm not making any exceptions for anyone. It's what me and my fiance want and I'm sorry if my family members get offended but I'm prepared for people not to show up becuase I'm not inviting their children also. Oh well, they'll get over it.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having children at our wedding, but our grand total for the guest list is 50 people, just our immediate families...that is just how many children we all have!  hahaha!  We will have about 50% adults and 50% kids, but they are all ours or our neices and nephews....CRAZY!  But, I can't wait, we are just planning quite about FOR the kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many Venues plan for children, and offer "child" prices, at least they do in our area. We are having A TON of kids at our wedding, but I also plan on having activities for them. Being that My FI is also hispanic, I totally get the "lets not piss off the inlaws", but try to take into account that they are part of the union you will be making that day and by Tradition most (I stress most) Hispanic families are very close.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family is HUGE!  My cousins have kids older than I, and their kids have kids, so I'd be essentially inviting 2nd and 3rd cousins.  I'm inviting only 1st cousins, no kids.  He has a big immediate family and he is inviting his nieces and nephews.  I understand that people will interpret it like his family was allowed to bring kids, but I don't care.  It's our day and my family is tooooooooo big for me to invite aunts/uncles/cousins/kids/cousin's kid's kids
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes but there is only a hand full of them and their parents have been warned by me that i better not find little fingers in my cake! hahah the sitter is a good plan.
    VICTORIA image 135 Invited so far!
    image 90 Are ready to party!
    image 40 Will be missing out!
    image 5 Are MIA!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiancé and I agreed that only children in our immediate family (mainly first cousins) are the only ones that will attend. Many of his friends are already married and having babies, and we don't really want them to bring the kiddos to the wedding. However, looking at it from their perspective, since they will have more than enough notice, they can make arrangements for someone to take care of their kids for a weekend. After all, we believe that this group of friends would enjoy a nice wedding without having to worry about their kids...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I initially did not want ANY kids @ my wedding and my Fiance thought this was a bad idea bc he said that people would be discouraged if we put "NO KIDS" or "ADULTS ONLY" on the invites.

Beisdes the fact that I alone have a HUGE family, like most LATINAS...
    I have 10 nieces and nephews ranging in ages from 2-12 and two on the way that will be here in time for my wedding! YIKES!

We are also paying for our own wedding and what we came up with is this:

Our wedding venue is outside in a Garden, and they loved our idea...since they themselves (venue owners) despise kids running around destroying their gardens when unattentive parents start getting a little too intoxicated and forget they brought children...

We will have activities targeted specifically for the kids:

2 babysitters 16/18 year olds
    Projector Screen/Movies
    Coloring Books
    Puzzles
    Board Games
    (Possible a Bounce House) I am indicisive about this one :/
    & we will have food for kids as well, (chicken nuggets/pizza)

The way the venue is set up it accomodates for our ideas as the kids will have their own little party so to speak while we adults enjoy the wedding next door!

I will also, have some adults, in the wedding party that will be periodically checking on them to make sure that nothing is out of control!

Kids, when entertained are really not that bad. & seriously I would not want my nieces and nephews to NOT be present @ my wedding. I dont have kids and to me they are like my kids! Best of Luck

BTW: What do you all think of the Bounce House???? I think its a little much and I dont want kids dressing tacky for my wedding! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards