Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Reading for wedding would like opinions

For over a yr now FI and I have decided we would have our one reading be "The art of a good marriage" we love it and agree with everything it says.  UNTIL a couple nights ago when I saw this on a wedding blog and fell in love.  It is very much Matt and I we are super silly and goofy and while our love is serious we try not to take things too serious.  We really like this reading but still like the other one.  We think it would be nice to add a little cute/silly touch to the ceremony in the mix of everything else that is very serious and mushy.  Our only concern is it might offend/ rub some the wrong way because of its light hearted nature.  Thoughts:

I like you and I know why.
I like you because you are a good person to like.
I like you because when I tell you something special, you know it's special
And you remember it a long, long time.
You say, "Remember when you told me something special?"
And both of us remember

When I think something is important
you think it's important too
We have good ideas
When I say something funny, you laugh
I think I'm funny and you think I'm funny too

You know how to be silly
That's why I like you
Boy are you ever silly
I never met anybody sillier than me till I met you
I like you because you know when it's time to stop being silly
Maybe day after tomorrow
Maybe never

Sometimes we don't say a word
We snurkle under fences
We spy secret places
If I am a goofus on the roofus hollering my head off
You are one too

If you find two four-leaf clovers, you give me one
If I find four, I give you two
If we only find three, we keep on looking
Sometimes we have good luck, and sometimes we don't

I like you because I don't know why but
Everything that happens is nicer with you
I can't remember when I didn't like you
It must have been lonesome then

So many reasons
On the 4th of July I like you because it's the 4th of July
On the fifth of July, I like you too
See what I mean?
Even if it was the 999th of July
Even if it was August
Even if it was way down at the bottom of November
Even if it was no place particular in January
I would go on choosing you
And you would go on choosing me
Over and over again

That's how it would happen every time
Why do I like you
I guess I just like you
I just like you because you are you.

Re: Reading for wedding would like opinions

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't find anything offensive in that.  I think it's fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love this.  If it suits your personality and wedding style then I say go for it.  I'm a huge fan of taking a tradition (like a reading) and putting your own twist on it. 
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i find absolutely nothing in it offensive...but...looks like that's not just me :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think is great and I don't see how you can offend anyone...
    It is YOUR wedding after all.
  • Options
    angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's adorable :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP (and what I told you this morning.)

I love that reading
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awe - I like it.  If you like it, then do it. 
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's super cute and you should totally use it. My only suggestion would be to consider only using one reading. But that's coming from my perspective, we were trying to keep the ceremony fairly short.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you like it, then go for it.  

I think its cute, but might be kind of weird?  I don't know... it just depends on the mood your going for.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I like it!  We read "The Art of a God Marriage" but I like this one too.  If it fits you two go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of readings, however I do like the idea of making it your own! A wedding is very personal. Its about you and you FH. 
    The only thing that I don't like is that its all about how much "I LIKE you". Weddings are about LOVE, so I would be hoping to hear more about love and devotion at a wedding. But I do not find the poem offensive in any way. If it suits ya'll as a couple then go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to quote but there was too many.

Anna,  We are only doing one reading, we are having a blessing of the hands towards the end but thats it.  That is why I feel like I need to choose one since I dont want to do both.

Tiffany, I am wanting all perspectives so why do you think it would be weird.

Marksle, That was my big concern was that it said like instead of love and I thought some people might think we arent taking it seriously. 

Our music is very fun and personal even for the ceremony and most of the ceremony is very serious and about love, devotion, life long commitment which we do take seriously but we are very silly and laugh and joke alot and I thought that by putting this in there it would add that element.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what it is really...   I think maybe as a guest I wouldn't "get" it.  Does that make sense?

Obviously your close friends are going to understand, but Uncle Joe or Cousin Jimmy may be thinking "huh?"

That is the best way I can think of to describe it...LOL.  Then again it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, either.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always change "like" to "love."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are really fun and outgoing sometimes, but we want to be serious about the ceremony part. It will still be on the light hearted side. All of the fun quotes, jokes and random speeches are all going to be at the rehearsal dinner. Because everyone at the rehearsal dinner is the closest to us and they know us as a couple, so the goofy side will still be seen, just not in the ceremony. You could even do it at the reception when people are loosened up with a couple drinks! 

Good luck and go with your gut!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_reading-wedding-would-like-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:3b825227-2070-417f-8240-0bab871b2c48Post:12e08105-cfdd-478c-ae18-f9758088715c">Re: Reading for wedding would like opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always change "like" to "love."
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I reallly like this idea :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love it!  In fact, may "borrow" it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards