Maryland
Options

Ocean City Weddings

Hey guys! I am from WV and my fiance is from MD.  We live in NC and we are looking to get married in MD.  I know it is a little crazy but we want a wedding on the water and it seemed like a practical choice to only make one side of the family travel.  Especially for only 40-50 people. 

I have done some research and I am looking at the Golden Sands, Fager's Island, and Harbor Watch.  I was considering lighthouse sound but they lady there, Olya, basically told me our wedding party was not big enough and she would make more money with a bigger wedding party.  She then told us the only time she would allow us to get married there was on memorial day weekend or labor day weekend.  Needless to say, they are OUT!

Do any of you have any other suggestions?  We are about to have a full blown MD wedding! Smith Island cake for our wedding cake, Boardwalk popcorn and taffey for favors! AND of course crabs for the rehearsal dinner.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
TIA!

Re: Ocean City Weddings

• Options
    mybooboosmybooboos member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I checked with Fager's Island for my wedding, since i got engaged there, but they do not do receptions there, and only limited weddings within a limited window...especially if during their peak summer season.  Even if it's a small party of 20 people, they will not allow a longer than usual dinner to take place, since that's 20 tables that they could turn over 2-3 times in an evening.

I've witnessed some beach weddings in OC before.  They can be nice, but a bit of a free-for-all, since everyone on the beach is a spectator.  You also have to watch out for the loud advertising planes overhead.

There's a site that manages OC weddings.  I can't remember the name, but Google "Ocean City Maryland Weddings" and you should find the companies that manage all aspects of an OC wedding (rooms, officiants, reception rooms, etc).

Good luck
    Presentation is everything!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dinktarrdinktarr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If the wedding doesn't have to be on the beach, you can always go to Ocean Pines Yacht club. It can hold a small to large parties. Or lighthouse sound is another good place. But the person ahead of me is right in the Spring/Summer time you have to worry about the planes flying over head and the tourist. Even though Golden Sands blocks guest for walking into your wedding it doesn't block out them staying on the side, or up above looking in or talking during your ceremony.

Also if you are going to to get crabs for Rehearsal dinner go to either the Crab Bag, Watermans or Hoopers. They are the best in town. Second best would be the Old Mill Crab House (they have new owners who crabs aren't the same as the old ones)

Hopefully this helps. I live like 20 mins away from Ocean City. Not Sure when you want your wedding in Ocean City but remember that the second week in May until the third week in September is the most busiest and expensive time to be in Ocean City.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Great! Thanks so much for all the info.  I did talk to Fager;s and they will do a wedding and reception but you must be done before 4pm.  This allows them to give you a place to have your reception indoors in case weather is an issue and still serve dinner. 

Also, I called the Ocean Pines Yacht/Beach club and they are planning on doing some remodeling at the yacht club in the 2011 off season.  I am adding all this in case someone was interested in the same topic.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    BrideDC926BrideDC926 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    need a photographer?? my bridal pics are amazing - check her out www.brendamurphyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi -
    I you go to RoxEnterprise.com, Sean the owner, has a wealth of information.  I did not use him for everything, but the site has been helpful.  I've mention a couple of places to you on a previous message, but thought of a few more - - The Coconut Malorie, Golden Sands Condo and the Sunset Room.  If you can't find info on them I can give you the contact name and their number.

Also, Smith Island is who I am using and Amber is AWESOME!!!!  The cake is a little bit more, but it is DEFINITELY worth is.

I do have to disagree with some of the previous comments, the spring is a wonderful time to be here, as is the fall (summer has it's busy weekends and the prices are higher), but most places will give you a wedding block of rooms or you can get some amazing condos/summer homes here.  The advertising planes are not that bad and depending on where on the beach you are will determine how the set up is.  Yes, we will have some lookers, but if you get married on the beach you need to expect it.  I also, would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend Hooper's, they are a tourist trap!!!!!!    If you do not use Macky's as a venue, you might consider them for the rehearsal dinner.

Your plans sound so similar to mine; there are two great taffies here - Dolly's, which is local, and CandyKitchen - they seem to be in every other block here!!!  My venue decor is beach themed, right down to the goldfish and the shells I've gathered from OC and Assateague Island!

Let me know if you want any more help!  Also, I would be more than happy to sell some of my items to you when I am through.

Marlene

P.S.
    Moved here from NC, so have to help out a fellow NCer!!! Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards