Connecticut
Options

Nail Salons in the Newington Area? Acrylic v. Gel Debate

I'm getting married on Saturday, so I wanted to get my nails done tomorrow if possible.  I don't usually get manicures or acrylics or gels, so I know absolutley nothing about the salons in my area.  My other question is about gels v. acrylics.  I'd prefer to get a set of gels, but I have no idea what is a reasonable price for them.

Any help, advice, recommendations are more than welcome! Laughing

Re: Nail Salons in the Newington Area? Acrylic v. Gel Debate

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Parisian Day Spa in Cromwell, is pretty good and they have tons of people and can usually take some last minute appt's and are open until 8pm on Thursdays.

I would go acrylic if you don't plan to wear them for a long time. they do less damage to your nails in the short term.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    herb0622herb0622 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get my nails done all of the time and I always get gel. They don't damage your nails as much, but they are more expensive. I think the gel also look more natural than the acrylic, as the acrylic usually look thicker. Its about $50-60 for a set of gel where as acrylic are usually around $30-35. I don't live in Newington but Body and Soul in Wallingford is a good place. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Annies in Old Wethersfield. Ask for Brian. It's right next to Village Pizza.
  • Options
    estegemanestegeman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont normally have acrylic or gel nails, but I recently got gel nails for my E-photos.  I love them!  They look so beautiful and feel very light.  The only thing is that since I wanst used to having them they were pretty sore the day I got them and the day after.  So definitley get them a couple days before the wedding so they arent sore on your wedding day!

Good Luck!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just did a lot of research on this. Most "gel nails" contain acrylic. The "soak off" nails are still damaging because you have to soak them in acetone then scrape the residue off. There's a brand that Sculptures in Newington uses that contains no acrylic and is a gel consistency and contains no harmful ingredients. They still buff the nail a bit but that needs to be done for either of these anyway. I'm going to the girl at Sculptures in Newington for this reason. My makeup artist helped me with this info. LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Manicure Island is in Newington and I love them!  It's a family owned business and everyone is super nice and their prices are very reasonable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the help!! Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards