Catholic Weddings
Options

For Greater Glory

Anyone see this movie or plan to?

I just saw it last night & was glad I did...parts were difficult to watch but overall I was very impressed & most of all happy to see a movie portray the Church positively--FINALLY! So hard to realize that it's a true story.

Here is an article with excerpts of a review by Archbishop Chaput:

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog/1394/archbishop_chaput_reviews_for_greater_glory.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For Greater Glory

• Options
    DH and I haven't seen it yet, but would like to. We try to support Catholic films, but it's hard because we rarely go to the movies and they don't always fit perfectly into our schedules. Too often we end up renting movies we want to see.

It seems to have gotten pretty good reviews for a faith-based movie, so I'm excited to see it. Glad to hear that you enjoyed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I totally want to! Many of my Catholic FB friends were saying online how it was like the best movie they'd ever seen! DH and I will probably see it some weeknight this week.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I saw it yesterday, too!  It was very well done... several of the violent scenes were very difficult to watch.  It's so hard to believe how cruel and brutal humans can be to one another... but it definitely depicts how Mexico's political history has been so tumultuous.

One of my minor pet peeves was the over-explaining narrative text at the beginning of the movie... it always reminds me a bit too much of Star Wars and was a rather hokey and awkward start to the film.  I think it's helpful at the end, but I would have preferred that they jumped right in and trust the viewers to figure out what's happening rather than holding their hand by literally spelling it all out.  I also think it would have felt more authentic if they had stuck to keeping the dialogue in Spanish with subtitles... American accents crept out a bit too often where they probably never would have been!
  • Options
    Yeah I noticed a couple of accents too...not sure why they didn't just make it in Spanish since (I think?) it was produced etc. in Mexico.

One of the things I thought was the saddest was *potential spoiler alert* poor Jose being stuck with that godfather of his...it made me laugh not because it was funny but just a shame esp considering the number of godparent q's we get on here about who to pick etc...that is like the godfather of a parent's nightmares.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Yeah I noticed a couple of accents too...not sure why they didn't just make it in Spanish since (I think?) it was produced etc. in Mexico.
    Posted by caitriona87[/QUOTE]
    Probably cuz some people (like my dear husband,) simply refuse to watch movies with subtitles. {eyeroll}
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_for-greater-glory?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fdcb165d-e5b1-44bf-b7db-34416c16230fPost:168c33fd-ae83-49c2-90f1-a2e1c5d94e7f">Re: For Greater Glory</a>:
    [QUOTE]Probably cuz some people (like my dear husband,) simply refuse to watch movies with subtitles. {eyeroll}
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

I didn't know we were married to twins separated at birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards