DC

Catholic Church in NoVA

Hi,

I am looking for a moderate catholic church in the NoVA area... any suggestions?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Church in NoVA

• edited December 2011
    What do you mean by Moderate? Give me a few more details and I can help you out.

M
  • starlite21lstarlite21l member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are being married in OH but since we live in NoVA we were told we could do all the pre-marital classes etc. here.  The issue is that we live together.  So, we need a church that we can take the classes at that won't tell us to separate before the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Good Shepherd it's in Alexandria, a little south of the belt way.  The Catholic Church in NOVA is known to be utlraconservative...We were going to get married Catholic and had some issues because we live together. Now we are getting married in my Presbyterian church, but from my dealings with the Catholic Church, try Good Shepherd.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I just completed our Catholic Engaged Encounters class in Virginia.  If you already have a church and priest in Ohio lined up, you shouldn't have any problems signing up. It was an entire weekend, so a little intense but very non-judgemental.  Do you need to work with a priest to fulfill other obligations or just cover the pre-Cana requirement?
  • starlite21lstarlite21l member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure exactly what the requirements will be.  We are meeting our priest in OH this weekend so I will have a better idea after that.  I did some research online and Good Shepherd was one of the churches on my list.  I will update after our meeting this weekend!  Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you'll be surprised.  We are the reverse of you (getting married in VA but live in OH).  Our priest here in Ohio has been a priest for 40 years and is very old fashioned.  He berated (sp?) us for living together and shared a lot of unpleasant statistics, but didn't make us separate.  We are getting married in Loudoun County, so that probably isn't the area you're looking at.  The only problem you may have is that a church may not let you do your marriage prep if you're not a member or know a member.
  • edited December 2011

I am not sure if I know any any "Moderate" churches in the area. I am getting married in the Traditional Rite so, I would suggest just being honest and open with the Priest that you are doing your EEC with and they will offer you advise on what is best for you and your FI. Good Luck.

M

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards