Not Engaged Yet
Options

FU- Everyone is getting an invitation

I making this a seperate post because I figured posting at the end of the other one would just cause confusion. Anyway, after all the advice you all gave Mike and I sat down and talked about what we wanted, the invites, the drama, all that fun stuff. Final decision is that everyone is getting an invite (Desert's right being the bigger person is always a good thing) even if we know they aren't coming.

On a different note:

I didn't post it here yesterday because I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure but our venue cancelled our contract yesterday morning (hence my panic mode). Due to the "number of butterflies" that will be flown in from Japan they decided that the area was not suitable for a wedding on that day (it's the first day of the show) and if we wanted the space we would need to reschedule the date for a later time. Clearly, I was not happy with this turn of events so we tried to work something out with them but none of their other venues open until late May/June and they're either too expensive or already booked.

They are refunding our deposit, nice of them considering it's usually non-refundable, but obviously this was still a non-expected and non-needed surprise. I called approximately 50 venues all day and the 16th is not open period. I looked at Cincinnati and the surrounding cities, as well. April is extremely popular I guess and it's apparently 20 different proms that night who are ALL getting pictures/having their prom at the places we can afford.

I got up this morning and decided I was calling the last place on my list and if it wasn't happening then forget it and we will do it later. So this place is extremely nice and had no prices on their website so I figured it was a no go. I called and got the nicest lady who told me they are doing a before Easter special at 1/2 off the price for parties under 70 people; price being $1000.

That $1000 includes EVERYTHING. Full buffet, beer, wine, champagne, linens, chair covers, china, the ballroom, valet parking amongst other things. I asked how much was it PP and she said, "no it's just $1000 as long as you have under 70 people." That is absolutely unheard of in Cincinnati. One catch can't have Saturday the 16th because a prom is taking pictures!  So Friday the 15th it is. I have no more time or energy to devote to this process and I am sick of it all. It's done - we're signing the contract Thursday and then I am finished wedding planning period.

Not thrilled with moving the date up a day at all but we are just going to email and tell everyone an overview of what happened and apologize profusely. Wedding planning over and now I can worry about ordering books and applying for jobs.

/end rant. Sorry for the length.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: FU- Everyone is getting an invitation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay! And least you finally have it settled. And the price is fantastic! I'm sure its going to be beautiful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you honey! Yes I am so glad it's settled and done with so I can wash my hands of it for awhile. :)  It's a huge relief and I'm glad we took everyone's advice and decided to send out invites to everyone. I feel better about that alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Number of butterflies was the problem? Weird. Was that their only reason? Are the butterflies for your wedding or did they order them for something else?

In any case, I'm glad you got it worked out and everyone will be getting an invite! Go you. I still say, don't let anyone mess with your plans anymore. You have a plan--stick to it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes this is the plan there is no changing there is nothing else that will mess with this day besides an act of God and since I'm agnostic.... well we'll see.

The butterflies are a serious deal at this place (they jacked up our venue rental price because of it) there are 200,000+ butterflies being flown in from Japan and they are not caged or anything. They fly around freely in the area that was going to be used as our bar. We had to have door people between the bar/dance floor/dining area so that these things wouldn't get out. They burn the butterflies when the expo over because of the illnesses they may have carried over.

They made it kind of a big deal when we booked the day and I guess the head of the whole deal thinks a wedding could harm the butterflies. They already stated we couldn't have any children present (which we weren't going to but still) because there was no "staff" on site.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO Sun - I was trying for "nice" with sarcasm behind it. If they didn't give me my money back I would have driven down there and gotten the money myself.

The price for everything at the new venue is $1000 less than the venue rental fee for the old one. Butterflies make things expensive I guess. lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GAH. Sorry, I'd forgotten! Thanks for filling me in, sun. Britt, that's crazy that they're just dumping your date. But great that you got it all worked out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At least it all worked out for the best and you can stop stressing out about it. Woot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow good job working it out! that must have been so stressful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's alright, Marley, this train wreck has been hard to follow. Haha. I'm glad we worked it out, too, and with a quickness. Everything happens for a reason - this means we can totally go to Tahiti sooner rather than later.

Worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    They BURN the butterflies? WTF! So it's ok to bring illnesses over temporarily but only for 6 or 8 weeks or however long the expo is? That's insanity. And kind of gross. I'm feeling Silence of the Lambs right now. I'll hear butterflies screaming in my sleep.

Glad it worked out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL GPB and Owl - that was the main source of my panic yesterday. I just wanted to curl into a ball and cry.

Party though for everything getting settled and worked out!! :)

Thank you for all the kicks in the ass and kick ass support, ladies.

ETA: Paint I had NO idea they burned them until the caterer told me. I thought why the hell would you burn them when they've been tracking diseases in for 6 weeks already?! This company has the most screwy policies I've ever seen. I signed a clause saying I wouldn't "kill, desecrate, or maim the butterflies." I would say burning them would do more harm than anything but I don't make the rules.

I do feel sad for them though. :(

I'd rather not get sick and like Sun said I'd like the sweeter deal anyway!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Poor butterflies...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fu-everyone-getting-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1e7f2661-af67-458f-ab61-2fef2372a8bcPost:84f73607-0598-4aee-975f-e10afe2dafef">Re: FU- Everyone is getting an invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes this is the plan there is no changing there is nothing else that will mess with this day besides an act of God and since I'm agnostic.... well we'll see. The butterflies are a serious deal at this place (they jacked up our venue rental price because of it) there are 200,000+ butterflies being flown in from Japan and they are not caged or anything. They fly around freely in the area that was going to be used as our bar. We had to have door people between the bar/dance floor/dining area so that these things wouldn't get out. They burn the butterflies when the expo over because of the illnesses they may have carried over. They made it kind of a big deal when we booked the day and I guess the head of the whole deal thinks a wedding could harm the butterflies. They already stated we couldn't have any children present (which we weren't going to but still) because there was no "staff" on site.
    Posted by nottheonlydreamer44[/QUOTE]

Whoa. Your wedding would harm the butterflies, but they're going to gas 'em anyway?! You've got to be kidding me. I mean, I'm not exactly the PETA poster girl, but this seems pretty cruel to me. Flying in 200K butterflies just for people to look at, then killing them? Yikes. Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're not missing anything, Marley. It is really freaking weird and I literally asked about 14 times if they REALLY burned them. I think it sounds terrible and ridiculous but it's probably more of a pain in the ass to ship them back to Japan. This is a huge event, I guess, and I think I'm happier not being a part of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fu-everyone-getting-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1e7f2661-af67-458f-ab61-2fef2372a8bcPost:423a3034-d089-44d1-9021-f98057702de0">Re: FU- Everyone is getting an invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're not missing anything, Marley. It is really freaking weird and I literally asked about 14 times if they REALLY burned them. I think it sounds terrible and ridiculous but it's probably more of a pain in the ass to ship them back to Japan. This is a huge event, I guess, and I think I'm happier not being a part of it.
    Posted by nottheonlydreamer44[/QUOTE]

Wow. IMO, you're better off not being involved with that junk at all, both logistics-wise, and karma-wise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not so sure I'd even want my wedding in a place with these butterflies carrying bad diseases!! (and they must be, if they have to burn them, not just let them free... messed up)  And I wish I could find a venue that would do EVERYTHING for only 1,000! Holy cow. That is an incredible price. WAY TO GO!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That is an awesome deal
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They didn't think about the whole butterfly/wedding thing sooner, like when you asked about the date? This place sounds like a bunch of asshats and I'm glad you were able to find a better place (with an AWESOME price!)

I won't even comment on the burning butterflies.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha Kath - They were kind of hesitant when we booked this venue and warned us about the butterflies. Then when we met with the only caterer they would allow us to work with we got the whole story. The burning, the doormen we had to PAY to stand there and how weird they are about about this festival in general.

I was already weary when we found out (from the caterer) that this place has no refrigerator and no kitchen. So the caterer was going to come 25 mins before the ceremony to drop off food and then WE were responsible for having our own alcohol dropped off. She suggested we bring coolers with ice so we could keep everything chilled.

At that point I should have been concerned but we were still sticking with the plan. I would never recommend this set of properties to anyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    You know what I decided I liked about this post. The subject line - if you read it as F You. Mainly for the fact that everyone was telling you that you needed to still invite everyone. And it's probably just me that thinks that with my off kilter sense of humor that finds random things funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally get why they can't just release the butterflies. I do. Diseases, ecosystems, etc. But the answer isn't to burn them! It's to not bring them over to begin with!

Humanity pisses me off  a lot of the time />:(

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you decided to invite everyone still. I think that's the right thing to do.

I'm also so glad you were able to find a new venue! That is good news.

Wishing you smoother sailing with the rest of your planning, Dreamer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Loop - you made me LOL. I was reading it that same way.:) We must have the same sense of humor.

Desert and Zip - I don't know what this place is all about but it is shady. I should have listened to the online reviews before making a decision. I pray for only smooth sailing from here on out and and I have to say all the advice comes in handy!

Thanks to all of you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I giggled too at FU, Loopy. :)

• Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I'm not alone with my sense of humor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards