June 2012 Weddings
Options

invitation wording help

Please help! FI and I are doing non-traditional invites. They are designed to look like a CD album insert, and are working on the wording. Here's what we have so far:

With joyous hearts
 we invite you to celebrate the debut of our lives together,
as best friends become husband and wife.

Nicole Marie lastname
and
Jeffrey Robert lastname

Saturday, the thirtieth of June
Two Thousand and Twelve
at Six Fifteen in the Evening

Ceremony info.

My question is, my parents are fronting almost the entire bill. They say it doesn't matter to them if their names are on the invitations since they are not typical invites, but I feel like they should be. If their names are on there, FI wants his parents' names there as well, but really FI would prefer something like "Together with our parents." My mom also said that we could put their names with the reception info, but I don't have ideas how to include them there. Any thoughts?

Re: invitation wording help

• Options
    peachykeen26peachykeen26 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Well, if your parents are footing the bill, they should be included on the invitation
    How about this:

With joyous hearts Mr. and Mrs. Your Parents and Mr. and Mrs. FI's Parents invite you to celebrate the debut of the joining of
    Nicole Marie lastname
    and
    Jeffrey Robert lastname
    as best friends become husband and wife through marriage
    Two Thousand Twelve
    Ceremony info.

It's wordy, but its still says everything.
    Another option may be:Mr. and Mrs. Your Parents andMr. and Mrs. His Parentsinvite you with joyous hearts to celebrate the debut of the new lives of
    Nicole Marie lastname
    and
    Jeffrey Robert lastname
    as best friends become husband and wife
    Two Thousand Twelve
    Ceremony info.

BTW, you do not need the and in Two Thousand Twelve, it's better without.
    Maybe try
    Fifteen after six o'clock instead of Six Fifteen in the evening?

HTH!

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invitation-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1eaf4cd1-15ba-4d40-b14c-6898c3fe67abPost:8746f86a-a8c8-4e09-a291-60cd4dd00ed6">Re: invitation wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, if your parents are footing the bill, they should be included on the invitation <strong>How about this: With joyous hearts Mr. and Mrs. Your Parents and Mr. and Mrs. FI's Parents invite you to celebrate the debut of the joining of Nicole Marie lastname and Jeffrey Robert lastname as best friends become husband and wife through marriage Saturday, the thirtieth of June Two Thousand Twelve at Six Fifteen in the Evening Ceremony info.</strong> It's wordy, but its still says everything. Another option may be: Mr. and Mrs. Your Parents  and Mr. and Mrs. His Parents invite you with joyous hearts to celebrate the debut of the new lives of Nicole Marie lastname and Jeffrey Robert lastname as best friends become husband and wife Saturday, the thirtieth of June Two Thousand Twelve at Six Fifteen in the Evening Ceremony info. BTW, you do not need the and in Two Thousand Twelve, it's better without. Maybe try Fifteen after six o'clock instead of Six Fifteen in the evening? HTH!
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

<div>Ours were very similar to this.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What about something in between:

With joyous hearts, the families/parents of
    Nicole Middle Last
    and
    Jeffrey Middle Last
    invite you to celebrate the debut of their lives together

etc. etc.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invitation-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1eaf4cd1-15ba-4d40-b14c-6898c3fe67abPost:3c425eab-9b3b-46fd-a346-261ef9e8cd61">Re: invitation wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about something in between: With joyous hearts, the families/parents of Nicole Middle Last and Jeffrey Middle Last invite you to celebrate the debut of their lives together etc. etc.
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]

I like the way this sounds.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invitation-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1eaf4cd1-15ba-4d40-b14c-6898c3fe67abPost:b87afea6-8dcb-4747-9fe7-79eca0590421">Re: invitation wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: invitation wording help : I like the way this sounds.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

The "etc. etc." is what really brings it over the top, I know :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_invitation-wording-help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:1eaf4cd1-15ba-4d40-b14c-6898c3fe67abPost:3c425eab-9b3b-46fd-a346-261ef9e8cd61">Re: invitation wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about something in between: With joyous hearts, the families/parents of Nicole Middle Last and Jeffrey Middle Last invite you to celebrate the debut of their lives together etc. etc.

<div>oooh.. Much better! Smart, smart lady!</div>

First Look
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    [QUOTE]What about something in between: With joyous hearts, the families/parents of Nicole Middle Last and Jeffrey Middle Last invite you to celebrate the debut of <strong>their</strong> lives together etc. etc.

Thanks ladies! I like this, but do you think the "their" sounds like the debut of our parents' lives together instead of ours? Maybe we are overthinking it.

Also, Jeff's parents are divorced, but they still have the same last name. If we do list their names, does it seem too wordy? Here are the options.

1. No names listed <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">With joyous hearts
, the parents of</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">Nicole </span><span style="font-family:Times;">and Jeffrey
    </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">invite you to celebrate the debut of their lives together, as best friends become husband and wife.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal"> </p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">2.  Names listed:</span> </p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">With joyous hearts,
 Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lastname
    </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">Along with Mrs. Carol Lastname and Mr. Robert Lastname,</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">invite you to celebrate the debut of </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">Nicole</span><span style="font-family:Times;"> and Jeffrey</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">as best friends become husband and wife.</span></p> <p class="MsoNormal">
    </p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">3. Together with our parents, we are excited to invite you to the debut of our lives together, as best friends become husband and wife through marriage.
    </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family:Times;">Nicole and Jeffrey</span></p>
    What do you think?
  • Options
    If you're going to go with option 2, and include both of his parents' full names, then I would at least remove "along with" because I feel as though that's a given. "Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lastname, Mrs. Carol Lastname, and Mr. Robert Lastname" cuts out a lot of the wordiness.

Also, since they are divorced, they do need to be listed separately regardless of whether or not they share a last name.

Finally, I do NOT think the "their" seems to indicate the parents, as your name and your FI's name are the last ones listed to be referred to as "their."  However, if you're worried about it, how about:

With joyous hearts, and the blessings of our parents, we,
    Nicole Middle Last
    and
    Jeffrey Middle Last
    invite you to celebrate the debut of our lives together,
    as best friends become husband and wife.

It really irks me when people switch back and forth from first person to third in invitations; in a paper or book, it would just be plain confusing, so I added a "we"  before your names as though you are clarifying who is speaking.  Also, "through marriage" just seems redundant to me - I'm pretty sure there's no other way to become husband and wife.
  • Options
    I thought when one gets divorced they are not a mrs anymore? I would put ms. but that is me. I would probably go with together with their parents/families in your case if you do not want it too wordy
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards