Not Engaged Yet
Options

Sharing good news.

I was JUST grumbling to myself about disliking my job, and then, I get a call from my Doc.

Insurance answered my inquiry about getting a Mirena.  It's gonna cost me a whole $15 co-pay for the IUD and insertion. 
The insurance keeps me at this job, I pay $10 a week for it, company pays the rest.
Not bad for a $900 BC device.

I actually stood up from my desk and did a happy dance, my coworkers are confused.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Sharing good news.

• Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! Good to hear!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome. I did mine through Planned Parenthood when I didn't have insurance, or a job (I'm a student), and it was only like $25 or something like that. I ended up selling a diamond ring from an ex about two weeks before my appointment, and I donated all $200 of it. It was really hard to hold that cash for two weeks without spending it, haha. Buuut, I really really support what they do and what they provide.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I sometimes think that is the only reason why I'm still where I work cause I hate to give up my good medical benefits, especially since I know people who work right now and don't have medical benefits.  Glad to hear that your insurance is stepping up.  Kudos to Planned Parenthood too, I had to go there a couple of times when I was a student to get some check ups and BC.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's just disappointing that health insurance is still tied to employment in our country.  Why does having a job give you a right to better/cheaper insurance?

My company has an HMO, and they pay everything so I don't have anything out of pocket every month.  And so far, I've been able to see each of the doctors I want to see, but I hate having to get referrals from my PCP when they don't give a sh*t in the first place if I'm seeing a chiropractor or my gyno.

Anniversary

• Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you take whatever they give you before your appointment. I didn't take anything and I wanted to die.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to planned parenthood for a few years.  I went to one about 30 mins from my hometown, since it was so small. (Dang small town loud mouths.)  They were the nicest people, and really cared about their patients.  They didn't judge me, and made a kinda too young girl who was scared very comfortable.

When I moved to where I live now, the planned parenthood was a little different.  They are a little overwhelmed.  Our area houses refugees and immigrants that need to use a lot of their resources and time. 
    So they were worn thin, and not as welcoming.  I honestly do feel lucky to have a job and insurance so I don't have to go back to that one. (I once waited over 2 hours for a pelvic exam, and I had scheduled it over a month earlier.)
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_sharing-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:32dfacb8-bff4-4d61-9f24-c8e564843a73Post:d9603e8c-3dd6-4c49-b422-6140606233bf">Re: Sharing good news.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Make sure you take whatever they give you before your appointment. I didn't take anything and I wanted to die.
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

I was told this on Etiquette when I was talking about it earlier this week. 
    I asked the lady on the phone to repeat herself like three times:
    1.) I take this orally. (There is another drug that is supposed to be inserted, so I wanted to make sure.)
    2.) And I take it 4 hours before the appt.  (And I confirmed my appt time, and the actual time I'm going to take it.)

I think I read your warning and someone elses's.  I think I'm going to set an alarm on my phone, def. not something I want to forget.</div>
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Hetshup. I was given the stuff you insert (or can take orally, but it works better if you insert it). It made me crampy for most of a day, but the actual insertion didn't hurt. Maybe I would have been one of the lucky few anyway. But the whole process was way easier than I was expecting.
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Don't you have to have had at least one child before you can get an IUD?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_sharing-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:32dfacb8-bff4-4d61-9f24-c8e564843a73Post:ed2a800c-11a6-4e6c-97b3-a37039a071ed">Re: Sharing good news.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't you have to have had at least one child before you can get an IUD?
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Nope. A lot of doctors recommend it though, for various reasons.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WTF?  I wasn't given anything to take prior to my Mirena insertion?  And it hurt like a B*TCH!!  My exH's insurance covered it with only the $20 co-pay... wooohoo!

No you do not have to have had a child to get an IUD, it is recommended though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_sharing-good-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:32dfacb8-bff4-4d61-9f24-c8e564843a73Post:f3b8df05-e338-4b1a-9053-47f8b7c739aa">Re: Sharing good news.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It's just disappointing that health insurance is still tied to employment in our country.  Why does having a job give you a right to better/cheaper insurance? </strong>My company has an HMO, and they pay everything so I don't have anything out of pocket every month.  And so far, I've been able to see each of the doctors I want to see, but I hate having to get referrals from my PCP when they don't give a sh*t in the first place if I'm seeing a chiropractor or my gyno.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I got kicked off of my parents insurance one month short of the new bill that would have let me stay on it. I'm now paying out the butt for the school's insurance since I only work part-time and don't qualify for health insurance at work. I seriously think their plan is to give you an ulcer in trying to figure out how you're going to pay for it and then make you pay more to get the ulcer treated as soon as you get coverage...</div>
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    deburnin, is there a way you could get subsidized insurance?  I'm not sure if it's offered in New York but when I was away at school I was on a plan through the state that paid for my birth control and gyno appointments.  Unfortunately they didn't pay for anything else but not having to shell out $30 bucks a month when I was supporting myself on very little money helped out.  It was through the department of health in case you want to research and see if NY has something similar.
  • Options
    Starlight KelStarlight Kel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahh health insurance, how I miss thee. 

I'm glad to hear you got approved for your IUD :-)  I'm sure that will be 1 less headach! 
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    deburnin, you're actually allowed to go back on your parents' health insurance now.  As long as you are a student, up until the age of 26.

Anniversary

• Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you have to be a student either anymore. From what I'm understanding (I may be totally wrong), you don't have to be your parents dependent and still stay on your rents insurance as long as your not able to get insurance from your own employment. You can stay on but any of your own dependents (churrins, husband, etc) wouldn't get it. I'm not sure what the requirements are if you were off at one point but I think what I put earlier is how it works for continuous coverage through the law.
    Again, I may be wrong and if so, correct me. I need to look into this anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards