Washington-Seattle

vendor reviews

Vendor Reviews

Brown’s Catering-  When I first booked Brown’s Catering I felt like it was a super deal. Their customer service was amazing and the prices seemed unbeatable. After we booked and paid the down payment, they tried to give us a minimum after not mentioning anything about it in the first place even after I asked during the first meeting. The Chef was willing to sign off on a minimum that I was fine with but after that, it seemed they were angry with me. They told me I couldn’t have a candy buffet or a cookie buffet as the favor because it would breach the contract. I was very uneasy about them after this because originally they came off as very helpful and customer service oriented, and later it was all about their bottom line. All of that said, on the day of the wedding, they showed up and performed. We had a few snafus but nothing too major. They put blue overlays on all the tables when I asked for overlays only on the drink stations and buffets, they didn’t bring the vegetarian lasagna or just didn’t serve it, they also served my guests their alcohol in the cans/bottles that I purchased and made clear to not serve them.  BUT the service was amazing, the food was fantastic, & they cleaned up very well. For overall experience I give them a C-, for day of I give them a B+.

Renton Community Center – Very easy to work with and didn’t require much communication with them. Everything was set up as I asked and they were very accommodating during the entire process including on the day of. The only set back is that you can’t have candles. Otherwise, they were very easy to work with. The location is large and in expensive. For overall experience and day of service, they deserve an A.

All that Shimmers- I went down to try a certain dress that was promised to be on the racks. When I went down to try it on, the owner informed me tha they didn’t have a number for me and couldn’t let me know that the dress was sold off the rack. I was really annoyed because it is a pretty far trek for me to go out there and I gave them my phone number. At first the owner didn’t seem that interested in my annoyance but then did the unthinkable. She called Mori Lee in front of me, ordered the dress I wanted in my size and promised that I’d be in by the next week. It arrived in a week, I went down and tried it on and bought it. She went above and beyond for me and it was great customer service. As a result, I picked out my girls dresses and had them order through them as well. No real issues besides the sizes that she suggested we order were ridiculous and even though we were able to try on all the dresses in store, she advised against purchasing the sizes the girls tried on… they ordered the size they thought they should get anyway and thank god they did, 2 girls ordered the size the owner suggested and had to get their dresses sized smaller. Another annoying thing, when I would go visit my dress, it was always in a nice bag (the bag that came with the dress), when I came to pick it up, they let me know that the bag it was in was an old bag and they didn’t have any new ones for me to take my dress in. I ended up taking it in a clear plastic thing that ripped on the way to the car. I eventually got a bag but after many unanswered phone calls to the shop. It was pretty annoying.  Overall, All that Shimmers prices can’t be beat. They really sell at the lowest price possible and their service is wonderful. Overall grade B.

Deb Hedeen-A- she was amazing and quick. She does a wonderful job and will really do anything you ask.

Happily Ever After Events- These girls are awesome people and did a good job over all. There were a few issues that were fixed once I noticed them and some that weren’t fixed even after I asked that they be. I’m not sure it is entirely their fault or just my fault for not explaining well enough. The only thing I recommend is that when going over your timeline, keep the timeline front loaded and don’t them stretch out your day of timeline too much. I let them do this and ended up telling the dj to just announce the things sooner because it would have taken too long to get to.  Overall, the wedding went smoothly and I’m thankful for them. B

Grand Event Rentals- Great service, rented uplights from them and got them at a discounted price. Everything was pretty simple. The uplights didn’t project as much light as I imagined and wouldn’t really recommend them unless you get a bunch. Overall service-A, product-D

R&R Party Rents- Great service. I got 25% off on my rentals because they really wanted my business and everything that they sent to us was perfect. They were ontime for the delivery windows I set and were helpful.  Overall service- A

Reverend Ray Van Winkle- He will do whatever you want him to do. He is very reasonably priced and does a great job officiating. Highly recommend his services. A

Men’s Warehouse- We had a very easy time with Men’s Warehouse in Tukwila (next to car toys) and highly recommend them. The only issue we had was when we went to try on suits when they came in, it took a LOOOONG time to get into a fitting room. Once we did though, they did alterations right away and they were very helpful. A

Sam’s Club- I found beautiful bouquets online that were exactly what I imagined. When I received the flowers 2 days before our wedding, I was in tears. The flowers were dead and there was no saving them. My mum and I prepared them right away anyway but most couldn’t be fully revived. They looked nothing like the picture online and it was horrible. I called customer service and they promised to have a shipment of white hydrangea to me no later than 10am on Friday morning. The shipment never came. When we came home from our honeymoon 10 days after our wedding, the flowers were on our front porch. They ended up giving all of my money back. Thank god. I don’t recommend them unfortunately. Service- C, Product- F

Costco.com- Amazing. The flowers I ordered were EXACTLY what they looked like online and were in amazing shape. I was able to do all of our flowers with one box from them. J Highly recommend. A

Kelli’s Cake Creations- Kelli is so easy to work with and did exactly what we asked. The cake was delivered on time and nearly perfect. Our guests loved the marble cake with the oreo! J I highly recommend her. A

Off White- Megan Bingham did a great job on all my girls. She has really great prices and does both hair and makeup but we only used her for makeup.  She is prompt and can do anything you ask and will make sure you love it. Highly recommend. A

Erin Beresford & Angela- They did hair for our wedding and I think they did a wonderful job. They both work at a salon in Puyallup and I found them via a co-worker. If you’d like their information, I highly recommend them! A.

Jeff Hill (Jay Productions)- He did a good job. He played some of the songs we requested be played but didn’t cue some of the songs the way we imagined. He would however ruin the dance party with throwing in a random slow song and the floor would clear.  I know that he was just trying to appeal to the masses but it was a bummer for the majority of the people dancing. I do recommend him though, he did a good job. B

Jenny GG-  Best for last. I started stalking her website even before we were engaged and I couldn’t get over how much I loved her work. She stood out among tons of photographers and I knew I had to have her. When it was my time to actually book her, once I called her, my previous thoughts were confirmed, she is awesome. We are so happy that we made the choice to book her. Our e-pics were amazing, my boudoir photos were out of this world, and our wedding photos are exactly what we imagined. I got all of the pictures I wanted and more. We can’t thank her enough. Love her! One more thing, if you book Jenny with a second shooter, you get Jen Wade who is also amazing at what she does. She took some details shots of our wedding  that were totally rad! Highly HIGHLY recommend. A+++

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: vendor reviews

• amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_vendor-reviews-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:0488a248-5dcc-4107-bd93-1e328e5f3be4Post:ad87ca16-9728-410a-b0d7-fbe7afab0926">vendor reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vendor Reviews Brown’s Catering-   ...they didn’t bring the vegetarian lasagna or just didn’t serve it, they also served my guests their alcohol in the cans/bottles that I purchased and made clear to not serve them.  

All that Shimmers- As a result, I picked out my girls dresses and had them order through them as well. No real issues besides the sizes that she suggested we order were ridiculous and even though we were able to try on all the dresses in store, she advised against purchasing the sizes the girls tried on… they ordered the size they thought they should get anyway and thank god they did, 2 girls ordered the size the owner suggested and had to get their dresses sized smaller.
    Posted by sarack[/QUOTE]

I just want to mention that I've posted about these vendors before, so this wouldn't be the first time they have done these EXACT same things (no offense sarack, just want to reinforce that these aren't fluke incidents for girls looking around). 

My friend helped coordinate a wedding for a friend who used Brown's and they definitely failed to fullfill their contract, the two similar problems being that they didn't bring the vegi option (the bride was a vegetarian) and there were big problems with how they served the alcohol (forgot to bring ice and wanted my friend to go get it, made a huge mess, ran out of stuff etc).  Also they didn't take away the trash like they said they would and my friend was left to haul it away herself.

As for All That Shimmers, I was a BM and they definitely did not follow my instructions as for the dress size I needed.  The bride was in charge of calling in our measurements so maybe they talked her into changing things, but that's just ridiculous - I honestly think they want to make extra money off alterations.  I'm 5' (size 0) and it fit my friend who was 5'8... I asked the lady how they ordered a dress that clearly was not my size and she just refused to do anything but want to charge me a ridiculous amount for alterations. Needless to say, Deb did an amazing job fixing the problem, but I would never go back there, if nothing else because she was so rude to me.  **I do know girls on here love this place and have gotten their wedding dresses there, my friend did get her dress there and had a great expereince.  But my BM dress experience was not good.**

PS I'm glad to hear everything else went really well!
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the detailed reviews! :)
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing :)  Please give more details re: Jeff Hill! How did he not queue your songs properly? I need to give him specifics for my wedding!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am worried about brown's. I have heard several bad things about them. We have them booked as well. We were so excited about them at first, but since I just keep hearing complaints...How was the food, aside for the mistakes? Hot? Tasty? What did you order from them?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards