Rhode Island
Options

Smoke House Cafe

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been to Smoke House Cafe in Newport? I know there are a few brides who live around that area too, so I was hoping to get feedback. We were thinking of doing a rehearsal dinner there?

Re: Smoke House Cafe

• Options
    My personal opinion is that the food is good there, but over priced for what it is. Also, when their website says it's open-air, they aren't kidding. The "sides" to the building are like tent sides. It's a VERY casual atmosphere, I believe with mostly high-rise tables. IMHO, not really some place I'd call idyllic for a rehearsal dinner. It's also literally right on the side walk, so there's lots of traffic noise and such (going back to the no-walls thing). I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry :-(
    Is it BBQ that you're looking for, or just somewhere more casual in general? I can help you think of other ideas :-)
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your honest opinion, dberrett! I really appreciate it! I'm going to keep looking ... it doesn' t have to be BBQ but I was looking for something more casual and reasonably priced.
  • Options
    Assuming you want to stick in Newport... Check out Sardella's - it's the best Italian place in the area and they have private rooms with no room fee. It's moderately casual (think business casual, but you could dress up, too), and I feel really reasonably priced for what you get - lots of amazing food! They also offer Family Style menus for private functions, which can save you a bundle (where each table gets huge bowls of food to serve themselves from). The atmosphere is dark, warm, and cozy. Love it there!
    Even more casual and fun would be Busker's. It's an Irish Pub on Thames street. I believe you can reserve the entire upstairs (maybe at no charge, not sure). The food is pretty good if you like Irish food, but I'd bet that for a private function they're more flexible.
    Lastly, check out Atlantic Beach Club. They have a smaller function room downstairs, where I actually had my rehearsal. The food is really good, the venue is simple but it's right on the ocean. And you can do a nice sit down for about $30/person. They also offer buffet options for even less. They're really professional there.
    Good luck, and please let me know if you have any more questions!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    Thank you again! All the places you mentioned we have considered or considering...you hit all the great places! We actually took a trip from CT to get our marriage license last Monday and stop by Buskers, because it seemed perfect for our crowd. However, my fiance wasn't thrilled about the irish food :( (we've been spoliled by some great irish restaurants and my BIL owns a few irish restaurants). But lastly, I think we are going to go and see about ABC. His parents want to take care of the rehearsal dinner and seemed happy with that choice for now. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to help me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards