Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination wedding challenged in need of help!

We are going to get married where we live, here in Hawaii, but unfortunately because it is a destination wedding for all of our friends and family we have decided hold a small local friends only wedding ceremony to save everyone on the expense of coming here.  We would like to throw an anniversary party when we hopefully relocate to the mainland in a year or so.  My question is -- what is the etiquette for destination weddings and registries???  Do we register when we plan the anniversary party? Or do we do it when we send out the wedding announcements?  

Please save me from any embarrassment as I am not wedding savvy at all!!!

Re: Destination wedding challenged in need of help!

• I would think you should register before your wedding date - since some of the guests invited may want to buy you gifts.  I do not think that etiquette is too different from a regular wedding - and I wouldn't expect many gifts from people who are not invited to your wedding or who are only invited to you anniversary party. 

I did not have an engagement party - so if this is a gift giving event I am no help. 

Are you not inviting family to the wedding, or are you just sure they will not come? 

Congrats, and good luck planning!
  • There is no need to be embarassed. We are all clueless at some point when it comes to this stuff. 

But I agree with the above post. You should register before the engagement party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The registry is just for your wedding, so you would register before the ceremony, which could be used by guests attending the wedding.  People going to an anniversary party wouldn't necessarily bring gifts, and it would seem really weird to have a wedding registry a year after you're married.  Good luck with your plans!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards