Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sick Parents

Unfortunately, my dad isn't doing so well. We're just starting our wedding planning right now and I'm afraid that by the time we walk down the aisle, my dad might be gone. He's been very ill for several years and keeps surprising us, so I want to make sure I include him as part of the plans obivously. My dad already told me he won't be able to come to my wedding. He's pretty much confined to the house.

I run a digital advertising agency and am pretty familiar with getting wired. I want to set up a few computers or cams and broadcast the wedding to my dad over Skype or Google Hangout, and encourage people in the invite to use Facebook and social media to post pics they take at the wedding so my dad can have a real-time experience. Has anyone experienced or done anything like this? Would love to hear feedback.

Re: Sick Parents

• Is your wedding really not until 2015?

If so, please just stop worrying and enjoy the time with your dad.

To answer your questions...You could very easily Skype the wedding ceremony with an Ipad if your venue has wifi. . Otherwise, I'm sure you could privately ask a few of your closer family members to text/email pictures to your dad in addition to recording the ceremony on a flipcam or something. I wouldn't suggest asking your entire guest list en masse to text/Facebook pictures, it could be overwhelming to your dad and could turn the celebratory mood of your wedding somewhat somber.

• Relax. You've got a long way to go until your wedding. You never know how much longer you have with someone. My father is terminally ill....and has been so for 31 years. He's been on his death bed more times than JLo has been married. Somehow he's managed to pull through. He also had a bad accident 5 years ago and all the docs said if survived he would be bed ridden for the rest of his life. He's a bit gimpy but he can walk again. Stairs are not his best friend but he can still live a normal life (until the next health scare). My point is: until we each pass away nothing is certain. Worry about setting up a live feed approx. a month before your wedding date. Enjoy the time you have left with your dad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I recall seeing an MSN video of a BM that couldn't attend, so her groomsmen carried an iPad with her face on it but it was a live camera!  LOL  So yes, Skype and all that is totally doable so your dad can witness it. 

Timing it all may be another issues that you may consider.

My dad passed away 45 days before our would be wedding date, but we were told he had 4-6 months to live and the wedding was to be in 5 months.  I guess we were bracing for it.  We cancelled the wedding as it would be too much to deal with (flying, funeral arrangements, financially, emotionally) all in a short time frame. 

He did not see me get married, but it was not really something he or I felt was excruciatingly important. 

I'm very sorry, I know how hard it is to figure this stuff all out.
  • I'm so grateful for your responses. Elle - my dad is getting up there with liz taylor's marriage record too. :)  It's a bummer.

Gina I'm so sorry about your dad. My mom isn't doing super well either and is starting to balk at things being so far away. I mean obviously right now we're just considering things because it seems silly to play it until 6-12 months in advance or so. It's just the theoretical - "what what I do if..?"

Thanks so much y'all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards