Illinois-Chicago
Options

City venues

Last week, immediately after my daughter's wedding, my son announces that he and his girlfriend are engaged!  Daughter had a "traditional suburban" wedding....golf course, seated dinner, lighting, draping.......you get the idea.

Son and GF are very different. They live on Printers Row.  Foodies to the max---cooking classes, adventurous in what they order/taste....love new restaurants!  They are both MDPhD students.  My son just defended his thesis---our gift was a night at Alinea.  That's what they love....what they would want.....BUT they are also the most independent, frugal couple in the world.  They find the majority of the wedding "trappings" extravagant, frivolous, and "a waste".  Even though they know his dad and I are happy to make a significant contribution (and truly no strings attached), they are hesitant to spend that type of money for "one day".  I get it---I get them. 

SO...they have done some research and are having a difficult time meshing their tastes with a budget.  They are looking at approximately 100 people.  Their biggest focus is food and ambiance.  They do not care about liquor (although they love wine), I doubt we are looking at DJ's, or even traditional "dancing".  Their hope was to find a restaurant venue where they could afford a good meal without spending $100 a person.  They do need to have it on a Saturday, but might be open to a late afternoon reception versus a traditional "dinner".

I have suggested they look at cooking schools that offer private events.  I think their hope is an all inclusive venue, but I have thrown out places such as A New Leaf, Prairie Productions, and other loft/blank slate venues.

Any and all ideas regarding easier, all inclusive restaurants that focus on food would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks so much!

Re: City venues

• Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! Looks like you'll be sticking around TK for another wedding :)

What about Logan Sqaure Kitchen:
    http://www.logansquarekitchen.com/events
    It looks like you can choose a caterer based on their guidelines (no list, but there's a kitchen agreement?) and you buy liquor from them, but you can request whatever you want.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think for the type of taste they have it will be hard to be under $100, but you can probably come close to that without tax/tip. I would stick to restaurants as they have good food and seemed to be cheaper when I looked and most can hold at least 100. Using a caterer seemed to be more expensive, but they can also probably be more creative. Froggys was affordable when I was looking. I found the most budget friendly thing was a seated plated dinner, but maybe if you found a more up and coming caterer they could do it for less?

Places I found around $100 (In 2009): Salvatores, Pazzos, Cafe Babareeba, Fulton's, Alhambra Place
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think your son is on the same page as I am!

I'm having a difficult time with this as well, but here are some places that I've checked out or heard of:
    Schuba's
    South Branch (they say they do weekend events!)
    Haymarket Brewery has event space
    Carnivale
    Rock Bottom Brewery

If they are foodie's - why not check out a local culinary school?  Kendall College has a fantastic space with a skyline view - and I'm sure you could do some fantastic things with aspiring chef's!

I've also been searching on yelp.com for "event space" or "venues" throughout the city - as long as they have the space, they might be interested in a wedding.  I'm also considering calling a few smaller restaurants to see if they would do an event.  You never know if you don't ask!

Good luck - keep us updated on what you find!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Spiaggia would be on the pricey end ($100 pp), but would be fantastic for foodies and also has great space and a beautiful view for the rest of your guests.
  • Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our venue is $70/pp for food with $400 rental fee. The food is amazing. PM me if you want the name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at Spiaggia as a private dining server.  They are a little pricey (I think it's about 116 a person).  However that includes a four course meal, a four hour bar, and your wedding cake.  If they are foodies, I would recommend looking into a restaurant closer to where they live in Printer's Row.  Maybe they have a certain connection to a restaurant, and they would like to share that with their guests.  My fiance and I are having our reception at an Irish Pub in Lincoln Park partly because we want people to get out of downtown, and partly because we want to share the places we love with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards