Wedding Woes
Options

Some kids okay but not others??

My fiance and I have decided on an adult-only reception, with the exception of my two children, who are in the wedding party.  My daughter (16) is the MOH and my son (11) is the ring bearer and he's walking me down the aisle.  My daughter's friends have been to our house a million times as have their parents.  Here is the problem... with an adult only reception, my fiance and I don't know what to do.  Some of our guests have teenage children whom we don't want at the reception, but my daughter's girlfriends would be welcome since we may/may not be inviting their parents due to budgets.  Should we invite some, all, or none??  We don't know what to do. 

Re: Some kids okay but not others??

• Options
    JordyanaJordyana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be pretty rude to allow your daughter to bring some girlfriends along, but then still try to tell people it's an "adults only" reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see no problem with allowing your son and daughter to invite a friend or two each. However, once you get beyond about a half a table's worth of non-adults, you can't really call it an adults-only reception.

People should be understanding if an exception is made for your own children to have someone to talk to/hang out with. But if there are a gaggle of teen girls on the dance floor they might be annoyed that their own little angels weren't included.
  • Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would allow for one friend each for your two children. I imagine like most siblings they do not want to have to spend the entire evening together as the only children, and talking with adults will get boring. Most people will understand that your own children are the exception to the rule. Having one friend each is the child version of a "plus one". More than one friend each though and i would be upset about not being able to bring my own kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto redhead.
  • Options
    McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, one friend each.  You don't need a bunch of your kids' friends filling out your guest list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Melissa603Melissa603 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only children we are inviting to the reception are the children  in our wedding party. Our flower girl and sister and our ring bearer and sister. The flower girl, her mother will also be a bridesmaid and coming from Nevada to Connecticut so I can't say "Sorry find somewhere for your kids to go!" And the ring bear is the Best Man's son and they will also be traveling several states. So you can definitely select the kids there. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the definition of "adults-only" would be no kids at all.

i don't see any issue with limiting the number of kids invited (your kids can each have a +1 friend/so so they are not bored with all of the adults). If anyone says anything about it, just say that your kids had a +1, but no other kids were invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thank you all for your input!  It made our decision much easier!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards