Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Locations...I NEED HELP

Hi all, This is my first post so I figure I should give a little background.  I have only been engaged for just about a month and haven't really done anything.  Only lived in the area for a few years now.  My Fiance is not in any hurry to help me find a location for our ceremony and/or reception.  We aren't really looking to get married in a church.  I would really like an outdoor ceremony but we are wanting to get married July 14, 2012 so I'm a little nurvous on the weather.  Im also not against moving the wedding back to late August or early September but our colors are a bright blue and orange so they are more of a summer color verses fall colors.  So I need some help deciding if Im just crazy about having the bright colors in early fall or if I shouldn't worry about the weather.  and finally if there are any great locations that aren't overly expensive.   thank you all

Re: Locations...I NEED HELP

• Options
    edited December 2011

Welcome.  Those colors will work fine any time of the year, they don't have to be contained to the summer months.  I think as long as you have a back up plan for the wedding if you want to have it outside, you should be fine.  Jester Park Lodge might be one place to check out, the botanical center, or there are also a couple of parks around.  There is one over by the Art Center, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it at the moment.

Anniversary
  • Options
    llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    greenwood is the park by the art center.  if you are interested in a shelter such as jester or there is a really nice one in windsor heights you need to consider booking it now!! they go fast!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree the colors can be used anytime!!

What about the Racoon Nature Lodge, or Toad Valley Golf Course both very pretty outdoor spaces!!

BTW, Welcome to the board, and we can't wait to hear more from you!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at getting married at the Blank Park Zoo? We had our ceremony outdoors and the reception indoors, and we're not even big animal people (it doesn't have to be super "zoo" like a lot of people might imagine.) Everything was just perfect-- and I think your colors would work any time. 
  • Options
    Chelle1015Chelle1015 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married October 1 at the Iowa Arboretum.  It states it is a Boone address, but it is about 30 minutes north of Urbandale/I-80.  We are getting married in a single large gazebo, and are holding our reception in a large triple-gazebo (all connected as 1 gazebo) that has a great place for a dance floor.  In case it rains, though, there is a large indoor room with a full kitchen that you can use.  They are super flexible with times to decorate, etc.  The grounds are beautiful, so guests can walk around before or after to look at them, which gives them something to do other than just sit and eat.  :)   $700 for ceremony and $800 for reception, but the place is yours from Friday afternoon - Sat night. 

Good luck, so many beautiful places in Iowa for an outdoor wedding.  My second vote, mentioned above, is Jester Park Lodge - gorgeous!!!!  Thought they sound expensive up front, they actually end up being about the same price at DIY weddings....and much, much less stress if you use their catering/decorating services. 
  • Options
    Chelle1015Chelle1015 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH, and I love your colors.  We chose orange and white, because even though it is an October 1 wedding, I wanted it bright and cheery rather than fall colors.  Orange is such a happy, celebratory color, and I really like the idea of blue with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone.  We have looked at quite a few places...still looked :(  I we really like Otter Creek Golf Course but they are a little expensive but doable...We would really like to look at Jester Park Golf Course but they haven't returned any e-mails or phone calls so I keep trying  :(.  Thank you again for all your advice.  I am open to any and everything you all have to offer...its a little hard to find a really nice outdoor location on a smaller budget
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards