June 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding Dress Costs

How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

I am getting so anxious to start shopping, and so many of you have posted your gorgeous dresses already. We are very fortunate that FI's family is contributing a lot for the wedding. I'm looking at dresses online a lot lately and this is something I'll pay for myself. Considering that a lot of the wedding is taken care of, I'm several years into my career and financially frugal, I could afford a dress at 5K. I have been saving for years and, if pushed, could comfortably afford more, the thing is it doesn't feel right to spend that much. In my online obsessing, I'm drawn to Melissa Sweet dresses and they're around the 5k mark. I doubt I'll want a preowned dress. I think I need to get over some of this self-imposed guilt. I can't spend a dime without hemming and hawing.

I'm simultaneously thinking "it's just one dress and just one day" and "I deserve to have the dress I want. I should feel like the best version of myself."
June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Dress Costs

• Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-dress-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:107d922f-a62f-48ec-9f37-8645b0dd317ePost:d0584a9d-763f-4b90-ab64-5fc6e75c7d12">Wedding Dress Costs</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm simultaneously thinking "it's just one dress and just one day" and "I deserve to have the dress I want. I should feel like the best version of myself."
    Posted by nvelez28[/QUOTE]

I can see the dilemma, but if you're really worried about the money there are plenty of dresses that will look great on you that cost less than 5k.

Try on dresses from $550-$5000.  If you really think that you look so much better in a 5000 dollar dress.  Then go ahead.  If you can't really see a difference then save the money for something else.  It all depends on your priorities and budget.

To answer your original question though, I haven't bought  a dress yet so I don't have a price to give you.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-dress-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:107d922f-a62f-48ec-9f37-8645b0dd317ePost:d0584a9d-763f-4b90-ab64-5fc6e75c7d12">Wedding Dress Costs</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm simultaneously thinking "it's just one dress and just one day" and "I deserve to have the dress I want. I should feel like the best version of myself."

Totally up to you, but this right here is what would hold me back. It is a dress you will wear ONLY 1 time unless you do bridal shots. To spend that kind of money on myself is foolish to me(not saying you) but then my car didn't even cost me that much lol.

My dress is $1000 dollars after i saved $100, basically saving the tax. I didn't even want to spend that much but i had something peticular in mind and would not even look at anything different.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I found a dress for $750... there are def some beautiful dresses for under 1k. But if you have the money and find one you love then go ahead and spend it .... but like spiffy said try some on in all price ranges!
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
  • Options
    I tried on about 20 dresses ranging in price from $250 - $1200.  The one I fell in love with was the $250.  It felt right.  The next nearest contender was the $1200 dress. 

There's no point in making a decision about price before you even go looking at dresses.  Go and try some on.  It's about how you feel when you wear it, not the price tag.  You'll look amazing in lots of the dresses you'll try on.  You'll know when it's the right one for you when your face lights up.  Since you have a nice sized budget, that tag shouldn't have much play in your decision.
  • Options
    All of the dresses I have tried on so far (about 15 maybe) have been in the range of $500-$900.  I was relieved, I thought it would be hard to find anything under $1000.   I'm still shooting for the lower end price, higher end look. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Mine was $3,250ish including the Vera Sash that we got to go with it. Alterations will be around $300 (maybe a little more depending on what I need). It's a lot better than the dress that mom and I originally thought was "the one"...but I had a panic attack about the $7,400 price tag and kept looking and I'm so glad I did!! :
  • Options
    I'm looking at spending under $800 and I've found some really pretty dresses.  I'm still looking though because every dress I've tried so far feels like it's missing something. 
  • Options

Mine was $484 total. If I had the money to spend 5K on a dress, I still wouldn't. I would put tht money towards our honeymoon or baby fund. I personally can't spend that much on a dress I will wear for a few hours.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jenny Yoo, Watters and WToo seem to be in the running. Thanks all!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was a little over $1,600 but we saved 10% for buying on the first day we visited that particular boutique, which will end up being as much as the hem costs (lots of skirts).  It will need to be taken in, so that will cost some more, but overall everything should be under $2k.

I agree with what PPs have said; you can definitely find nice dresses for under your budget.  The next best contender was less than half the price of the one I chose, and it was a beautiful dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Mine was $909 before tax then they gave me a 10% discount, so like a PP I pretty much didn't have to pay for tax.  I had picked out dresses without looking at the pricetags, and the most expensive one that I picked out was like $1250.  So, that just proves that there are so many gorgeous dresses for way under your price range.  
    Me and my MOH
    June 2012, May Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    FI wants me to be able to spend up to $3k on my dress.  That said, I will be stating my budget closer to $1200 when I go into the shops, and if I can't find anything I like at that price range, I'll go up little by little until I do find "the one."
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    My Mom is paying for my dress and I don't feel comfortable getting one for over $1000.  I've tried on many dresses a while ago and found one I love for $800.  I don't care about designer names or anything like that, but that's just me!  Were also paying for the wedding entirely by ourselves, so if I was buying a dress myself it'd probably have to be even less than that.  Just do what makes you happy, don't worry about anything else!  Everyone is different and has different views on what to spend money on and how much.  To me, my venue was important so we are spending almost $12,000 alone just on that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I've tried on every kind of dress...from the reasonable (Casablanca/Maggie Sottero/Justin Alexander) to the insane (an Oscar de la Renta that was over $11k).  The dresses I wound up liking were anywhere from $3000-$7000.    I don't feel guilty about liking those dresses...it is what it is. 

Now, I was hoping to stay around or under $3K, but I tried on those more expensive dresses with the intention of finding one new on the preowned sites.  The preowned sites have PLENTY of new dresses...dresses being sold by stores (cancelled orders, overstocks, etc) and those being sold by brides who bought more than one dress.  There was a bride on Wedding Bee who wound up with FOUR dresses and wound up wearing two for her wedding.  She sold all four...two new, two used.

Anyway, don't write off the preowned sites thinking they are full of used dresses.  :)

Case in point...here's a Melissa Sweet that was never altered being sold by a girl who changed her mind about wearing it.  :)

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/26384/Melissa-Sweet-Cosette-Size-4.html

Another that's new, with tags:
    http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/26354/Melissa-Sweet-Fiesole-Size-4.html

And here's another that's never been worn:
    http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/25792/Melissa-Sweet-MS-JOY-20756-Size-4.html

I spent less than 2 minutes looking at the Melissa Sweets on that site...I'm sure there are plenty more.  If you find "the one" at a salon and don't feel comfortable with the price, you might be able to find it. :)
  • Options
     I'm simultaneously thinking "it's just one dress and just one day" and "I deserve to have the dress I want. I should feel like the best version of myself."

I thought I wanted to spend around $1K on my dress.  Like you, I feel I deserve to  have the dress I want, regardless of cost.  I have a good job, I have waited a long time to marry the man of my dreams etc, but I also couldn't see myself spending a lot on a dress I am only going to wear for 1 day.  When I went dress shopping, I didn't ask them to show me dresses under a specific amount.  I also wasn't at any really high end shops so I knew that technically I could afford any dress in that shop.  The dress I thought I was going to get (it was the top contender the last time I went to try dresses on) was $1800.  It was almost twice what I thought I was going to pay, but I was fine with it because the dress was very detailed.  When I went back to try on a specific dress (they didn't have it the time before) as soon as I put the dress on I knew it was the one.  I thought it was going to be more than the $1800, and I probably would have paid more for it, but it's actually $1400.

Of course you absolutely deserve to have the dress you want and shoud feel like the best version of yourself and if you can afford it and won't regret spending $5K on a dress you are only going to wear one day then I say go for it!!!  But like others have said, you may be able to find a dress you LOVE without the price tag.  Be open to looking around a bit.  You still have plenty of time before you have to buy your dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress is one of the most important expenses to me. My parents are paying for the whole wedding and as long as I don't go over the total budget they set, I will spend pretty much as much as I need to. If I find 'the dress' and it will end up putting me over budget, I have some of my own money stashed away to put towards my dress. $5K is about what I have set for my dress. If I can find 'the one' under $2,000, great! And that will probably mean i wont have to spend any if my own money. I am prepared, if need be, to spend up to $5,000 of my own money. I haven't even gone shopping yet, so I may find something that I love for cheaper than I am expecting. I just don't want to miss out on my perfect dress, even if that means spending $5K (or maybe a little more). Honestly, I say if you can afford it, do it. But don't necessarily rule out cheaper dresses because you might find your perfect dress and be able to save some money.
  • Options
    mine was 500.  it was at a sample sale at a bridal expo but included in that price they will clean it (since it's been tried on by others) and make sure all the beading and everything is secured and the dress will look brand new.  it was in my ideal price range but i wasn't sure i would find something i absolutely loved for that price and was prepeared to spend up to 1000.  since it was a sample gown (from last season), it was pretty much half price.  so i got the quality of dress i wanted for the price i wanted to spend.  you'll know it's the one when you start comparing it to all the other dresses you try on.  good luck :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic "June 2012" November Siggy: cake inspiration Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MIne was just over $1,000 which was as much as I wanted to spend, would have preferred less but it was the dress and I was not about to leave it behind. I'm finding ways to save money in other areas to make up for it. As PP have said, just try on dresses that you like the look of in various price ranges. I wound up with a look that I didn't set out for but it was perfect, so try on things you are kinda iffy about too. You'll know when it's the dress and should have no problem finding it with a 5K budget. :)
  • Options
    Wow...I feel really cheap for my dress! :)  It was $155 before alterations and I want to have some beading work done on the top.  I had been looking at it for months and loved it but didn't realize just how cheap it was until I went to buy so that was exciting!
  • Options
    My dress was $129.00 before tax and shipping and a friend of the family is doing alterations.

I think once it is all said and done I will have spent right around $200 for the dress. 

There is a photo of it in my bio. The photo isn't the actual dress.
  • Options
    At the store, my dress was going to end up costing around $1050. I found it through recycled bride for $700. It had never been worn and still had the tags on it.

When I had originally made the budget, I was hoping to spend 500 or less on my dress. While I was at the store, I didn't look at any of the prices. I just tried on what I felt looked good and I fell in love with everything about the dress I picked out. I think it is best to just set a general budget for the dress and then go into a store and see what feels best to you.
  • Options
    My FI told me to go find the perfect dress and to not worry about price. What ever dress I picked, he would write the check! I was so excited, because I'm not the kind to buy my self anything nice. Anyway, after trying on many dresses, ranging from $500-$9000, my most favorite was only $550! It was on sale, but not by alot... Anyway, I walked out with my dress, bra, slip, vail, and headpiece for around $800! FI almost died when I gave him the final price tag... He joked that I had just reminded him of the reason he was marrying me. :-)

It really just comes down to what you love when you put it on. I tried on many dresses and it just so happened the one for me wasn't too expensive! When you fall in love with a dress, you can decided at that moment if its worth the money or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you, CvilleClaire! You ladies are wonderful!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress was just a little over $1,000.
  • Options
    Mine was $1200 on sale for $950, and had to pay an extra $50 to have it ordered with 4 inches of extra length (I'm almost 6 feet tall).  It fits like a glove so the only alteration I'll need to pay for is the bustle.
  • Options
    My dress is about $1,500, alterations included. We were prepared to spend up to $3,000, but I liked the less expensive one better.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My dress was $550 and I couldn't be happier, personally I couldn't justify paying more than 1k for a dress to wear for not a day but merely a few hours.   I think if I had that much to spend I still wouldn't, I'd put it towards the honeymoon or put it in savings if everything else is covered.

Eitherway, I hope you find your dream dress at a price you are comfortable with!  Have fun and ejoy shopping!!Smile
  • Options
    Mine was a little over $1000, plus I'll probably have around $200 for alterations.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_wedding-dress-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:107d922f-a62f-48ec-9f37-8645b0dd317ePost:3111a720-78db-48e6-b7b2-e11a0b312554">Re: Wedding Dress Costs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jenny Yoo, Watters and WToo seem to be in the running. Thanks all!

My dress for our original wedding was a Watters bridesmaid's dress ordered in white, that I added a tulle train and bow.  It cost about $500 plus the alterations.

My vow renewal dress is also a bridesmaid's dress that I am ordering in ivory.  Cost is $185.
  • Options
    Mine is $4400 before alterations. I'm paying for a lot of my wedding myself and I figured that I work really hard so I wanted a really nice dress!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards