Ohio-Northeast

Anyone use Catans for alts??

Hi! I need advice! I am going to Catans (in Strongsville) for my gown inspection today! I am so excited but I am sure I will need some alterations because I have lost weight. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with their alterations department? I know Juliannes is highly recommended but is Catans any more exspensive than other places?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Anyone use Catans for alts??

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, they are more expensive for alterations.

I don't have experience with bridal gown alts with them, but I was in a wedding where the BM dresses were from Catan's. I was curious about thier pricing, too. When I got the (general) quote, they wanted to charge something like $125 or $150 (I forget exactly -- but way more than I thought it shoudl have been) to take in the sides and hem the bottom. Wisely, I passed on them doing the work. When I brought my dress to Denise at Julianne's, she only charged me $45 for the same work.

Of course, I had used Denise before, for my bridal gown that I purchased from there. My wedding alts were only $65. Honestly, have you ever heard of wedding gown alts being UNDER $100? She took the sides in, added a halter strap and cups to the corset top, shortened the hem and train, and adjusted the bustle for only $65! And, I was happy with her quality of work, too.

Make your own decision, of course, but I'd avoid Catan for alts if at all possible. Julianne's really isn't that far from Catan's -- only about 15-20 min. And, Denise has something like 25 years experience in the business. Julianne's is a family operation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    thank you sooo much! I actually almost bought a gown from Juliannes so I am familiar with it! I am actually nervous taht my gown is going to be altered ALOT because I have lost 10 pounds and am only going to be running more now that I have more free time. I am afraid I am going to lose a whole dress size and its going to be super pricey! I will def. check out Juliannes for that then! thanks so much!
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did have my alterations done at Catan's (even though Julianne's was literally 5 minutes from my house).  Yes, Catan's is more expensive; however, I went with them anyhow for convenience.  I had nowhere to store my dress at home, so I was able to have Catan's hold it at their location until my pick-up date.  Thank goodness!  Yes, they are pricey; however, they also do excellent work and will store the product.  I liked having everything in one place.  Don't rule it out if it's a better option for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Catans and my alterations done there. They are pricey but worth it. They will also steam your dress and they have packages that everything is included for 500 so if you are getting a lot of alterations done it might be a good choice. In addition, if your dress has a lot of beading on it they are the ones to go too. I looked at other people in the area and no one would do my alterations because the beading was so intricate. Hope this helps!
  • blackkat110blackkat110 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work at Catan's and just recently purchased my gown from there.  Honestly, their alterations department was the only reason I bought my gown from them.  They are amazing!  Yes, they are definitely expensive, but totally worth it.  I would not trust my gown to anyone else.  All the women are European and are seamstresses by trade, working on couture gowns costing well over $5,000.  I have personally seen their work and can guarantee that you'll be happy!!  Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards