Moms and Maids

MOB dress?

My daughter is getting married next summer, and her bridesmaids are wearing cocktail length Alfred Angelo dresses.  Should my dress and the MOG's dress match this length?  It is a formal church wedding, but am I correct in thinking a floor length gown would look strange when the girls are wearing cocktail length?  I am actually relieved she chose these dresses, because I think I have more "off the rack" options at department stores now.

Re: MOB dress?

• edited December 2011

Has your daughter given any direction regarding this?  Long length dresses for the mom's would be fine.  Myself and the MoG wore floor length dresses for my son's wedding where the bridal party wore short and it looked quite nice.  We are doing the same thing for my daughter's wedding.

• edited December 2011
    I think that as long as the level of formality is the same...the length doesn't matter.  If the girls are wearing something summery and light, you wouldn't want heavily beaded and formal.  I wore a shorter length because it is more my style!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our son and DIL's wedding, girls wore short and chiffon.  I wore long and chiffon, and MOB also wore long.

As MOB, you don't have to match the WP, as you're not technically part of it.  So follow the advice my darling DIL gave me when I asked her:

Me:  What would you like me to wear for the wedding?
    DIL:  Whatever you feel comfortable and beautiful in.

Perfect.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm with muffin'smom and trix, as long as the formality is the same I don't think length matters that much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MattsAnnieMattsAnnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Exactly AgreedLaughing

• Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would go more on how dressy/formal the BM dresses are, and also the time of day. 

For daytime, with shorter length BM dresses, the moms in long dresses would look out of place.  But for an evening wedding with dressier cocktail length BM dresses, long is fine.

I recently wen to an evening church wedding.  The BMs were in strapless, semi-dressy knee-length dresses, and guys in tuxes.  The MOG wore a long gown with a beaded top.  The MOB was dressed like she was going to Wal-mart at midnight on laundry day.  The guest were dressed casually to semi-formal. 

• cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do just about any length you want since you're the MOB - but you should also coordinate with the MOG.

My mom and I have been looking at Alfred Angelo for her, since that's what my BMs will be wearing also.  But she will have a different length and a different color.
  • DianneMoBDianneMoB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catwoman's post made me laugh. My niece got married a few years ago, a fairly casual outdoor wedding in Texas. The MOG wore a lovely pink silk suit, knee length. The MOB wore black capris and a yellow tank top. I had never met the groom and when he walked out he had about ten piercings in his eyebrows, ears, nose, and a spike out his lip. My uncle's wife and I nearly fell out of our chairs. Weddings are wonderful.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So as long as you don't look like you're about to pick up a laundry basket or an outdoor chais lounge, you're all set!

Matching the length is fine but not necessary.  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards